Poker Killer "aka PROZAC"

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever since taking prozac for my depression/anxiety, i have been on a downward spiral with my poker game.
Dont get me wrong, i have never felt so good in my life. I just feel so happy taking these pills.
But i have noticed i can not win a game ever since taking them!

Has anyone had a similar case where you took something and ever since then you can seem to get your poker game back?

The pill do work cuz i dont feel like crap even after loosing 400 bucks in a row!

:boxing:Looking forward to hear from you guys on what you think

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Medications like this are designed to smooth out the peaks and valleys in your emotions, to basically keep you on even keel and cutoff the manic or depressive swings in mood.

I suppose that this "softening" of the emotions could have both positive and negative side-effects on your game. It may help for those who let fear and anxiety override their ability to make sound poker decisions. However sometimes you need a certain amount of emotion to keep you in check and wary of certain opponents or plays, for example -- you never want to be so emotionally numb as to just "not care" or not be fully aware of what's happening. I can only guess that maybe your being a bit more mellow has let you also become a bit too relaxed at the poker table.

I would encourage you to work through it though -- if you need the meds to function in everyday life, and it sounds like you do, then whatever you do, don't let poker interfere with that. Perhaps you should just drop down a level, or take a break while you adjust to the meds. Play like you're learning all over again, and maybe you can make the adjustments necessary to play through the new feelings.

Good luck with that. Having some immediately family members who have been helped tremendously by anti-depressants makes me respect them greatly. When used properly, they can greatly improve the patient's quality of life.

Biggee247

Biggee247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depression < Losing $400. I'm all about money. Screw the depressiong, get off the pill, lol. Just dont harm yourself or anyone else. Winning $400 instead of losing $400 will cure that depression right up.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you find that you're playing differently? If you're not, it could just be variance coming at a coincidental time. Try to step back and assess your game, move down in limits if your bankroll is threatened, and be honest with yourself about your play and how it may relate to your mental state. You may need to make some adjustments -- or just ride out a downswing. In any case, your emotional well being is far more important than a poker game, so don't let some losses affect your state of mind.

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you find that you're playing differently? If you're not, it could just be variance coming at a coincidental time. .

I think what what it is...I don't think prozac will do that, I'm on a different kind of meds for my depression, but it did not do athing for my game

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hope it's not the pills cause i'm thinking of quitting smoking and trying that chantex.
you got some good advice from roundcat and dmorris.
sometimes i don't get that upset about losing $$ since i know it will pick up and i'll win again.
if your not getting upset that's good, if you can't afford to lose the dough that's another story.
maybe you should back off of poker for awhile and enjoy your new found sense of happiness. or like suggested play the lower limits.
i'm sure your game will get back on track.
gl gl gl :flowers:

P

ProGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depression < Losing $400. I'm all about money. Screw the depressiong, get off the pill, lol. Just dont harm yourself or anyone else. Winning $400 instead of losing $400 will cure that depression right up.

I hope you don't listen to this idiots advice, if you need the prozac then get your house in order so to speak. Poker can wait until your well enough mentally to pursue it, but mental well being is much more important than being able to win a little money playing poker.

God I'm amazed at the retards on this site, talk about gambling problems. Some of you people need help in the worse ways with your gambling vices. Telling a person that winning at poker is more important than his mental well being is just stupid and immature.

FWIW, I take Celexa and it's the bomb as far as curing OCD, anxiety etc, not sure about depression but I'm sure it would fall under than umberella too.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps due to my sometimes naive faith in mankind, I'm going with Biggee247's post being a level. It has to be. People that insensitive and stupid can't exist. They just can't.

KINGSIN

KINGSIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take domes but they, have the reverse of what you have, I play better, I can sit at a live cash table all day, and observe better, not get board, play in the moment, make optimal decisions, not get tilted, etc. That's my only experience with pills.
hope you get well.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't even think about not taking those pills, even if you lose money. most likely you are on those pills because you need them, even if you go broke you should still be taking the pills because health is so much more important than money. i am taking some pills myself, nothing for depression tho but i have been taking antibiotics for more than 3 months now and i have been taking a whole bunch of them, for 2 months i took 19 pills each freaking day, i ran so good at poker, winning every single day. than after 2 months doctor only gave me pills for monday, wednesday and friday and only 4 pills for each of these day, this is the time i started losing money, don't really trust myself and it surely is affecting my game.

these are really powerful pills, some of them are very new and you can not buy them at the pharmacy. however my point is: keep taking those pills because they are good for you, i myself i would be dead without mine. and i am not joking about the death part.

good luck.

Biggee247

Biggee247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry guys, wasnt trying to be rude, just joking around. Although i guess depression isnt the best thing to be joking about. Sorry dont want to piss anyone off or make anyone think im insensitive. I dont want anyone upset with me, im new to the board and plan to be around a while. So i am sorry.

Definately stay on the pill man, depression is not something to mess around with. So maybe stay away from poker for a litle while until stuff get's better. Or just play in smaller limits so you dont lose as much money until you get your game back.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks you guys for all the great posts!

I wont get off the pills because of my poker game, they have helped me so much at work and life in general.
My game still hasnt turned around but im gonna take your guys advice on just lowering my limits. Which can sometimes be really boring, but for the best.
It does make me feel better about not feeling like im the only one on the
"PILL" so thanks all the the honesty!

You guys are great and hope to see more advice and comments. Thanks all!

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does make me feel better about not feeling like im the only one on the
"PILL" so thanks all the the honesty!

A girl once told me she was on the pill. It turned out she was lying.

madtom1337

madtom1337

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The man, the myth, the legend, Stuey Ungar... His poker drug of choice was cocaine... Isn't that a pretty emotional drug? Lol. Like, wouldn't it make you go batshit crazy when you get a bad beat? Lol. Maybe more emotion is a good thing in poker =o

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The man, the myth, the legend, Stuey Ungar... His poker drug of choice was cocaine... Isn't that a pretty emotional drug? Lol. Like, wouldn't it make you go batshit crazy when you get a bad beat? Lol. Maybe more emotion is a good thing in poker =o

Read a story about him playing in New York. After he took a bad beat from some guy he regularly played with, he picked up a chair and threw it at him. Apparently two days later they found the guy dead in an alley somewhere. Read it on Wiki... Take a look if you are interested. Don't know how much I trust the site, but that is what it said.

And cocaine is not a drug to be messing around with. Destroyed lives of many people I know. One of which was a very close friend. Sorry for the preaching :rolleyes:

G

ghughes

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I member Mike "The Mouth" talking about the time he decided he was done being stressed out and getting all upset at the tables. So he took yoga, and meditated and got all mellowed out.

And guess what? His poker play went down the tubes. Why? a big part of any poker players game is sensing when you have your opponent beat or when he has you beat.

The best way to feel this (instinctually) is as a threat to your survival--that tingly feeling on the back of your neck or the queasy feeling in the pit of your stomach. Without that feeling, without the experience of an appropriate stress response, you will miss some very important information at the table. Again, this is something that everyone can learn and we teach it at perfectpokernow.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What ever happened to mike the mouth. I havent seen him in awhile?

madtom1337

madtom1337

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's around. They're recording the 5th season of Full Tilt's Million Dollar Cash Game at the moment which comes in January 2011 I think - Mike's involved in that. I love him tbh, he rules. Without personalities like him and Phil Laak, TV poker would be pretty boring. Take Patrik Antonius for example - that guy just has NO personality. Ivey and Dwan seem pretty cool, say a funny thing or two. There's a few other guys like Elezra, and Tony G totally kills it too, love him. Antonius has the charisma of a dead tree.

intiekkeko

intiekkeko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is just a small part of your life and it will not determine ultimately how happy or sad you are

Keep taking the pills man and get everything with you fixed before you worry about poker

inti

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try I different kind of pill...prozac is the worst of all of them..in my 2 cents, im supost to be on lexapro, great drug,but my insurance will not cover it, and the doctor wont put me on anything else.... so I had to take it in to my own hands....I found a pill name st john wort, herbal treatment and I been on it since, and it help me well for almost a year now since beeing on it. Do some research, and talk to your mentel health doctor about your treatment, if you feel it not working.