Poker Killer "aka PROZAC"

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried lexapro, i did not like that pill at all. It didnt do squat for me. I took that last year for awhile and it gave me massive headaches. So this year i started to get my anxiety back and tryed the prozac and it feels really good. Well except for the poker part. Cant win... still.... ohwell i will check that st johns pill out. Thanks dream

G

ghughes

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely agree--don't mess with you meds.

Last edited by a moderator:
madtom1337

madtom1337

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Famous quote from your dad?

LOL nice one :D +1

Regarding the idea of this thread, drugs affecting one's poker game... Well, I've thought a little more about it just now. Meh, I don't think it's really an issue. It's probably just variance. You're probably just not that great at poker, prozac or no prozac. I mean, if emotion affects one's poker game, and decisions aren't based solely on a strategic knowledge base, then that's just bad altogether anyway. The self-doubt that must have been present in order to start a thread like this can be engendered only by a substantial lack of knowledge and experience in the game. So if I were you I'd just carry on doing whatever you're doing and having fun with poker on the side, or if your plan is to get serious about poker, then just carry on studying and playing and don't worry about your medication, as I doubt it's ever going to affect your play, except you might tilt less during the learning process which can only be a good thing really. Unless it makes your mistakes less memorable, meaning the learning process is less efficient on prozac. Hard to say really.

B

BenLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Drugs can impact poker. I find when I'm on adderall it's much easier to focus and I can maintain my "A" game for a much longer time. Adderall is a stimulant though - it's not like you need to take Prozac everyday. Maybe you should avoid prozac on poker days? The medication becomes less effective the more you use it, anyway.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Drugs can impact poker. I find when I'm on adderall it's much easier to focus and I can maintain my "A" game for a much longer time. Adderall is a stimulant though - it's not like you need to take Prozac everyday. Maybe you should avoid prozac on poker days? The medication becomes less effective the more you use it, anyway.
Whoa, bad advice I think. The OP should consult his doctor, but I'll go ahead and say not sure where you got your info, but anti-depressants, particularly SSRI's, do not work the same as their stimulant counterparts. AD's are not prescribed for use on an "as-needed" basis. It takes weeks for them to build up to therapeutic levels, and weeks again to wean off of them. If you take them inconsistently, they will never work well. You're either on them or you're not, and I would never recommend to skip taking them on 'poker days."

P

ProGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I took something very similar to adderall called vyvance about a month ago and had a really strong session. The ability to focus and hone in on the game was at a very high level. I haven't done it since because the pills are 10-15 bucks a piece on the streets. I can get them and they do help my game it seems but I've only tried it that one time. Don't want to get that addiction.

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you said you just started taking it, So i would do what Dmorris said and dont play poker for awhile until the meds kick into your system fully. cause sometimes you react differently to meds when you first take them and it takes a few weeks or months for them to settle in to your mind the way they are suppost to work.

Sincerely nexus6

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took something very similar to adderall called vyvance about a month ago and had a really strong session. The ability to focus and hone in on the game was at a very high level. I haven't done it since because the pills are 10-15 bucks a piece on the streets. I can get them and they do help my game it seems but I've only tried it that one time. Don't want to get that addiction.

Woah 10-15 bucks a piece... thats sick!

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try I different kind of pill...prozac is the worst of all of them..in my 2 cents, im supost to be on lexapro, great drug,but my insurance will not cover it, and the doctor wont put me on anything else.... so I had to take it in to my own hands....I found a pill name st john wort, herbal treatment and I been on it since, and it help me well for almost a year now since beeing on it. Do some research, and talk to your mentel health doctor about your treatment, if you feel it not working.

I am gonna try the st john wort here in a few weeks. Im gonna try and ween myself off of the prozac and take those. Seen these pills in the food and health section so i will give it a try. Probably better for me anyway.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Poker game still hasnt turned around. I play wayyyyy less now. So hopefully i will ease my way back in.

fstpmper

fstpmper

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's obvious that when you were in a manic state and your brain was firing out of control on all cylinders you were able to play excellent poker. Musicians, painters, writers, all deal with it so you have to decide if you'd rather play great poker and suck on a shotgun some day or just take your pills and be a normal person.

You could also try a different medication.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's obvious that when you were in a manic state and your brain was firing out of control on all cylinders you were able to play excellent poker. Musicians, painters, writers, all deal with it so you have to decide if you'd rather play great poker and suck on a shotgun some day or just take your pills and be a normal person.

You could also try a different medication.

yeah i will just take the pills right now. Maybe that shotgun will sound good later if i am gonna do better at poker. LOL
I just like them for my anxiety mainly.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i took syroqol or however u spell it, 400 mg at night and this other stuff in the morning for 7 months and stopped a week ago by myself,i have bipolar depro and really bad anxiety now yesterday i went to hospital for my heart,was soooo sore and beating so hard and got these nerve pulls all over my feet then my face,feeling alot better now but i dont wanna spend my life high on anti depressents...good luck with the poker and my advice is stop them and find happiness in life...and in poker :)

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never have heard of that drug. Sounds like your body had a huge dependancy on it. I will eventually stop taking them but i will ease my body off of them. Hope your ok! I will try the poker freerole tonight and see how it goes.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi m8
i am not a great believer in 'pills' for anything
but i do know that a healthy diet and
REGULAR daily exercise will change your life.
you dont have to be a 'fitness fanatic'
if you can just start slow (walking, ride a bike etc.)
and KEEP IT UP.
dont know your personal cicumstances
but if you are capable of doing a mild regular exercise routine
in a few months you will feel completely different.
i'm not trying to preach to you
just trying to help.
i know this works
good luck m8

Boston1993

Boston1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Prozac and Poker.

Ever since taking prozac for my depression/anxiety, i have been on a downward spiral with my poker game.
Dont get me wrong, i have never felt so good in my life. I just feel so happy taking these pills.
But i have noticed i can not win a game ever since taking them!

Has anyone had a similar case where you took something and ever since then you can seem to get your poker game back?

The pill do work cuz i dont feel like crap even after loosing 400 bucks in a row!

:boxing:Looking forward to hear from you guys on what you think

Never taken Prozac, but have been on prescription anxiety and depressive medications for several years. Occasionally I might forget or run out before getting refills and I do know that when I miss a dose that I can notice the difference. Usually right away. Don't believe it hurts my playing though. Hope you get an answer that will help.
:10h4: :ks4: :qs4: :js4: :ad4:

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The freeroll starts in a couple of minutes i will let you know how it goes.

CMON drugs you gotta give me a chance here! LOL

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never taken Prozac, but have been on prescription anxiety and depressive medications for several years. Occasionally I might forget or run out before getting refills and I do know that when I miss a dose that I can notice the difference. Usually right away. Don't believe it hurts my playing though. Hope you get an answer that will help.
:10h4: :ks4: :qs4: :js4: :ad4:

Yeah i notice in the morning when i havent taken my dose yet. Sometimes i wonder if its all in my head. But i am so much more outgoing i have noticed on them. So i know its working for my anxiety.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gosh what a loser i am! lol 118th BOO legit loss though trip 6's to top pair. They hit the river

E

eamesy4980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was on prozac. did the opposite effect on me. I put a 2 grand bet on a horse i didnt even know! Yes it lost. Sent me brainmashed and did strange things. Shut all gambling sites off comp. Dont use ocmp. smash it up. Dont have access to money then youl be fine lol. Seriously i must been 1 off but didnt do me any favours. long story though.

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I was on prozac it made me even worse then i was before. after 3 months on it the doctor finaly took me off of it and said go do a special doctor. that when i was put on lexapro it did work, but my insurance never cover it so it cost me about $95.00 for 15 pills after that they put me on the sister drug and it did nothing for me, so now I have no doctor and have to use my own ways, that when i did some searching,and found out about st johns worth, I been on it for come to a year now and it works for me, but now my body is getting use to it so it nolonger working.

but the point is that you body is going to get use to every drug you take. everyone is different on how they react to each drug, just don't give up, find out what is causing your depression. If it is in your head then it could be a chemical inbalance, which means that your on the wrong type of drug, if it somthing outside doing it then therapy is your best bet.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I was on prozac it made me even worse then i was before. after 3 months on it the doctor finaly took me off of it and said go do a special doctor. that when i was put on lexapro it did work, but my insurance never cover it so it cost me about $95.00 for 15 pills after that they put me on the sister drug and it did nothing for me, so now I have no doctor and have to use my own ways, that when i did some searching,and found out about st johns worth, I been on it for come to a year now and it works for me, but now my body is getting use to it so it nolonger working.

but the point is that you body is going to get use to every drug you take. everyone is different on how they react to each drug, just don't give up, find out what is causing your depression. If it is in your head then it could be a chemical inbalance, which means that your on the wrong type of drug, if it somthing outside doing it then therapy is your best bet.

Yeah i went and bought some of that st johns wort. I just havent taken it yet. I am gonna try and ween myself of prozac, then take those. So we will see.

Thanks for the input dream!