Is poker just statistical or is it also intuitive?

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's very much a game of intuition, but math shouldn't be overlooked. Intuition and luck ruin you in the short term, but math will give you the best result in the long term.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that professionals have a lot of both. I don't think it's based on one option or the other.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is about the math. While intuition is great in a moment of time it really does not help in the long term.

Ogma

Ogma

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Intuition is huge in poker but get too intuitive and you'll end up beating yourself.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is about the math. While intuition is great in a moment of time it really does not help in the long term.
I agree, we have to have a balance between intuition and skill.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the static and mathematical conclusion, intuition is not something assertive!

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Making the right decision at the right time is one of the basic things in the game of poker.

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It seems to me that intuition can play a bad joke on us. When we make a call not according to the pot odds, but as a result we collect our "treasured" combination - we begin to think that we played correctly, but at a distance this will definitely have a negative impact on our winrate - we will lose more and more, because “our feeling” should someday it will work. :ROFLMAO:

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is a statistics game, but we must adapt our activity to the opponents we face, especially against very aggressive players.

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Statistics online, intuition ( opponent read) live.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Do you believe that intuition is part of poker or is it just a game based on statistics?
Yes, I think intuition eventually supersedes statistics since being in the know is a much better station than making a statistical evaluation. In other words, trusting your gut is the "mental nuts", imo. It seems there's always a hand or two or three etc., that I tell myself I should have "gone w/my gut" on that, whether it's a pf raise, a call on the turn, or a shove on the river, my intuition was right... In hindsight. Isn't that always how it is? Or so it seems. :p
But yeah, gut over stats.

MathMDI

MathMDI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
When you've been playing for a long time, you notice that the statistics start to turn into intuition.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There's a part of intuition and a part of the statistics. And of course it's good luck

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Of course, intuition is also needed in online poker, but poker is based on mathematics, so statistics are more important, at least for me.
In live poker, intuition plays a much bigger role.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By my opinion, Intuition, of course, important part of Poker... Especially, I think, this important in Alive Game,
when no the opportunities to use different statistics...

Gavincwb

Gavincwb

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always say that poker is 80% statistics and 20% luck

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Intuition combines with emotion, and if you go that way, it won't work in the long term, better follow the statistics!