Is Poker Harder Than Chess?

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am also a chess player, but chess is harder than poker. 2 different games and chess require more intellectual play, poker is more psychological.

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I wouldn't call either of them heavier. Both require different skills.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that this two games are really different, but in my opinion the chess is harder than poker. I think that you need more skills in chess 🙂

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure why people keep asking this question, is Hockey harder then Baseball, is Soccer harder than Rugby. Serious why, they are all sports that are meant to be enjoyed weather you play or just watch. Hell is my Girlfriend better looking than yours, ok only one answer there. The point is the same, why ask the question.

B

Biba27.

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
SI
Chips
for me chees is harder than poker. But it depends are you playing poker live in a room where you can se everyone and their facial expresissions. For me easyer to play it live jist because i can see people but in my contry we has only 2 or 3 legal poker rooms so i play on line or at home with friends. chess is a mistery to me my partner is an expert about it and so he is an expert about poker he is better rhan me i admit. :D

B

Biba27.

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
SI
Chips
For me chess is harder i personali hate it. i lobe playing poker live but in my contry we has only 2 or 3 legal poker live rooms. So i mostly play on line. bit my partner is a pro for chess and poker he jad learned me a lot. I admit it! 😊

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, this comparison between chess and poker is very good.
In my opinion poker is a much easier game than chess, I see players from teams that play poker in 3 years playing for the team is already making $131,000 this year alone.
How long does a chess player need to study to reach a level that can earn this amount in 1 year?
There is a player named Nelepo10, who won more than $500,000 dollars in 2021, this player says he studied until the 5th series, here in brazil then comes the 6th, 7th, 8th series, then 3 more years high school and then college,
A chess player, to play at a level and live only on chess, needs to start playing from a very young age, in addition, it is necessary to have the gift, it is not enough just to study.
In poker if you study for 1 year you will already acquire knowledge to beat the micro limits and depending on the number of Mtts you play per month it is possible to earn more than $1000 dollars per month.
To earn $1000 dollars by playing chess, you will need many years of study, for these reasons that in my opinion playing poker is much easier than chess.
There's a player who won $1,192,802.46 doleres by the name of "AAAArthur" because he won the pokerstars birthday Sunday Million, a player who played Mtts micros and won a satellite ticket.
In chess this will never happen if you look at the ranking always the best players always win and when a player wins a chess tournament even though he is not famous it is a player I have been with for many years.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I think chess i harder as you can prepare by learning openings etc. But because your opponents do that you have to lear , too. In poker you have the factor of luck. That makes it easier to win occasionally even when being a bad player. On the other hand it makes it more frustrating to loose when you have played well, though.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, Poker is much easier and more exciting than Chess
Welcome, have fun, good luck and success in Poker too

chinatowm

chinatowm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term to 'tilt' in chess. Because the equivalent of bad beats doesn't exist in chess. There's something called carelessness, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected from their skill level. But, that's not a bad beat.

Poker is much more emotionally demanding. However, I am not saying with conviction that poker is more difficult. High-level poker is something mechanical, like high-level chess. In chess, the best players fight their brains out for only 5-6 positions in a 60-move game. Similarly, in poker, the best players play on an average of 20-30% of their hands and work their brains out in 3-4 hands. I'm not quite sure, since I'm a beginner in poker.

In any case, what is your opinion?
I agree with you chess is almost 100% mental in the sense that in the slightest carelessness you lose track of movements, poker is strict in the game, you have to know how to read the flops, interpret the cards, be psychic and of course have patience and luck is my opinion

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

In an any case, what is your opinion?
Speaking as a former chess player, FIDE rating 2032 if I recall, at chess the best player almost always wins. True, you can get lucky and your opponent cam blunder, especially in time trouble, but there is no getting outdrawn by garbage. A lot of chess players migrate to poker. That was my big mistake forty plus years ago.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Well, in my opinion, both sports have their difficulties, I think they belong to the same category as a mental sport, but like soccer and basketball, the only thing they have in common is the ball, that is to say that both sports can be compared, in the same way the difficulty of both depends on both the rival and the knowledge you have of the game, the more knowledge you have the more difficulty

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
even though there are similarities in the games that both are requiring strategy for example . i still dont think they are comparable . simply because they are different games with different rules etc.

also in chess there is no luck factor while in poker there is (at least short term)

can you say that good chess players will often make good poker players ? possibly

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a professional at either. However, I find it much more complex and stressful to decide when to call or raise than what move to make in chess.

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
For me one is a game of chance and the other strategy game is not the same thing, but if you want to compare them, poker is more complex since chess is like an exact science, there are always plays that you can draw from a book as a mathematical formula like that That poker is more difficult because if the diler doesn't want you you lose:eek:

F

forgetmenot

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
EU
Chips
i think chess is harder then poker

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To earn $1000 dollars by playing chess, you will need many years of study, for these reasons that in my opinion playing poker is much easier than chess.
Are there any tournaments with monetary prizes in chess?

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree. Not sure the comparison is a fair one

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think chess is more difficult. Besides, chess is very tedious. Poker is much more exciting and dynamic.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me chess, it is not even close. Poker has too much chance involved to make it comparable with chess.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are complex games with different perspective of playing the game. I would say poker got slightly more unknown algorithms than chess but overall both are great games

K

KING1805

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
No. It is not the same. Poker is one part about being lucky while chess is mostly about having skills.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess and poker are fundamentally different and often require players to have completely different skills, so it is impossible to say where to play more difficult. In my opinion, the obvious difference between the two games is that good chess always rewards you: if you are stronger than your opponent, you beat them, and if you lose, you should only blame yourself. In poker, the loser is not always to blame; sometimes it's a coincidence.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, in my opinion, both sports have their difficulties, I think they belong to the same category as a mental sport, but like soccer and basketball, the only thing they have in common is the ball, that is to say that both sports can be compared, in the same way the difficulty of both depends on both the rival and the knowledge you have of the game, the more knowledge you have the more difficulty
Sport, seriously? They had a campaign on those grounds years ago. It was just a whinge to get more funding.