Is Poker Harder Than Chess?

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say its hard too say.. as thier are bots better than chess players yet no known bots better than a poker player as of yet..

R

RAGNARKZ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Chess is much more difficult to play than poker. Since in poker skill and luck depend, and in chess only skill

D

DJ HighRoller

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FR
Chips
i think it's simple and easy game it's not rocket science or physics but of course you must learn improve always but in general i think it's not that complicated as many people think

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess is more difficult, poker anyone can learn to play in a few minutes.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no luck factor in chess, it's a game of pure skill.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Different games but I would say chess is harder, seems like you need more natural talent. Poker is often about extracting the max from weaker players whereas chess doesnt really work like that.

At the highest level then any game is as difficult as good as you want to get. So I would say the best poker players are as talented/good/hardworking as the best chess players

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm going to see yes because in chess you can see before what you can do after but poker its depend all the time the card turn on the table.....

ibalbino

ibalbino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Actually, that's a great question!

We tend to believe that Chess is harder because you won't win if someone is much better than you.
But that's a biased overview.

Since no AI has mastered poker (full ring) yet, and already have done it with games like Chess and Go.

I think poker is way more complex and maybe harder to play like a machine than Chess.

Mahmudov041

Mahmudov041

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello. i don't think so. i think you have to use your mind 100 percent to play chess, but in poker i think it's 50/50.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Speaking as an IM (International Master) I can say that I never get tilted in a chess game
and in poker I sometimes get very tilted because the unexpected miracle runners bail out bad plays.

In Chess it is always your own mistakes that get you.
If you have good preparation and calculation your opponent can't beat you unless you
don't want a draw and force it too much to win or end up losing because of it (some players don't like draws and do this, myself included)
but that too is your own choice and no reason to get tilted about.

The most tilting part in poker is when bad players get rewarded constantly with coolers their way or winning every hand they play.
Imagine you open 2x UTG with AA you get 2 limps in MP then button reraises 6x you go all in and everybody calls and turns over junk
like A9o QTo and 89o and flop comes 888.

That's just bingo players gambling and getting your tilt on.

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

In an any case, what is your opinion?

Generally speaking, if we look at poker and chess in a spectrum, chess is far to the left (predictable) and poker is far to the right (unpredictable).
In the long run, I agree, the moves in poker are also very mechanical, and at certain moments, it depends on your skill. You don't have to anticipate moves, but you do have to be able to judge your opponents well. And it takes a lot of talent to do that well.

badbanking79

badbanking79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
I think chess is way harder to master then poker, I am nowhere as good in chess as the guy who started this thread but I play frequently online.

But I think things like patience and logic are needed in both games. But I find poker more fun, its more action and a lot more money in it.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is very difficult to compare poker and chess. There is an element of luck in poker. Often this has a strong influence on the result.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No poker is a game of numbers and chess is a game of stratagey.

Reborn_Jobi

Reborn_Jobi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess only depends on skill and strategy, poker otherwise

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is harder. You can do everything perfectly and still lose.

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess: abstract calculations, algorithms;
Poker: probabilities, deductive reasoning, psychology

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
In chess, if you are a stupid player, you will definitely lose, but in poker, it can happen that you win. I think it's not worth comparing these games, one game of excitement, the second is based only on thinking.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think each one has its difficulty, but there are people who adapt to the game pattern of anyone!

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that more skills are developed in poker, but chess is more skill while other factors such as chance influence poker