Is Poker Harder Than Chess?

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, poker is more difficult than chess. Poker depends on luck and here is difficult

Reail

Reail

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think chess is a lot harder than poker. Although one of the biggest differences between chess and poker is uncertainty. Because unlike chess, where players have complete information, poker cannot have such information.

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that it's not about one being more difficult than the other, but the practice that each person has with each one, for example I'm bad at chess

reraee1

reraee1

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Покер – это игра интуиции и удачи! А шахматы это игра на мастерства там не бывает удачи надо думать что делаешь)

C

cubas1975

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
! Hello!! Poker is random, so it's more difficult

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In terms of variables of course. Chess has already been solved by various modules and artificial intelligences. While poker has too many variables, and you can only calculate certain spots knowing certain variables and defining them, but there is no computational power to weigh all the variables/bet sizes/raise sizes/ranges/players etc as they are almost limitless.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I don't see a point of comparison, poker needs skills of course, but there is also the luck factor. You can be a Negreanu and still walk out of a bubble tournament with AA in hand because that's how the variance wanted it. On the other hand, in chess everything depends on your ability.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I second your thoughts..
Everything you said makes complete sense.. However, poker variance can mess with your mind..
So we end up losing due to bad beats.. Then start tilting and making bad decisions.. Such counterproductive tendencies can hurt your bankroll bigtime..

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Both poker and chess are classified as strategy games. In both cases, the player's task is to make the best move in a given situation. The sequence of such moves is calculated in advance and adds up to a strategy that is subordinated to one goal - victory. The ability to think strategically is essential for both a professional chess player and a poker player. The difference here is purely quantitative: a chess player builds a “long” strategy within a single game, which can last several hours (or even days!), trying not to lose concentration, and the poker player within one "hand", that is, the period of time between the full distribution of cards and taking the pot. Both games involve similar mental processes, which consist in the ability to analyze the situation.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

In an any case, what is your opinion?
Hi
Both depend on intelligence and focus, but I think poker is more difficult because it also depends on luck, patience and excessive concentration that may exceed 8 hours in some tournaments at least, in addition to that we face many opponents of different levels and skills;)

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hi all!
There is a certain amount of luck in poker, thanks to which even beginners manage to win. This is impossible in chess, a beginner can never accidentally beat a professional, simply because today is his day)

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have no way to make this comparison. Poker is much nicer.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mentally, I think poker is more challenging because of the fluctuations of the game, which is the luck factor, because you have to know how to handle and manage the loss caused by badbeats, without it having a negative effect on the rest of the game.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

I play both. in chess all the pieces are exposed to the players, in different poker the cards of the opponents and the table are unknown. in my opinion I find poker the hardest to play. Even so, I still prefer poker.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
it all depends on your adversar , I think it is the same :)

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Both Elon Musk and myself have the same issue with chess, its just too simple to play.

AlphaCentauro

AlphaCentauro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I’m sure world class chess player is ahead of an average joe if they both start playing poker.
both sports fall into intellectual category so I mean it’s better for you to try poker then let’s say track and filed 😂

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of incomplete information, chess is not. In poker you can have someone playing according to their mood and win.
To my knowledge, Big Blue won chess competition having most of the solutions memorized, of course there was some logic involved, but most came from memory of best moves in various situations, gathered from different sources.
You can try to do the same for poker, but number of variables is much larger, because someone can play bad and get good results anyway.

P

PointedTip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is harder, period. You make a mistake in chess, it's usually game over. A mistake in poker can be remedied with better playing.

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any game in which a novice may defeat a "master" is seen as involving a great deal of luck. That group includes poker.
For instance, a novice may win against the best player on the planet with a royal flush on their first hand. On the other hand,
chess is a perfect information game, every single move of the game is seen and known to both players and even the audience,
making it nearly impossible for a novice to overcome Magnus Carlsen, for instance. While luck does play a part,
it pales in significance when compared to true chess skills and understanding. My thesis is that chess is significantly harder to
master from the perspective of both a chess player and a poker player.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Clearly chess is a game of pure strategy and skill, which puts players in more control of the game.
Whereas poker has far more variables and less control towards the overall outcome.
Players get can be overpressured in poker and players get outplayed on chess.
There is no luck in chess, a little luck can mean everything in poker.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Clearly chess is a game of pure strategy and skill, which puts players in more control of the game.
Whereas poker has far more variables and less control towards the overall outcome.
Players get can be overpressured in poker and players get outplayed on chess.
There is no luck in chess, a little luck can mean everything in poker.
Aren't most Chess games decided with who gets to be white?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess is harder, period. You make a mistake in chess, it's usually game over. A mistake in poker can be remedied with better playing.
Poker has a near infinite number of variables. Chess is solved, Poker isn't. Period

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Aren't most Chess games decided with who gets to be white?
For unskilled players that might be the case.
If thats how it worked, what would be the point of competitions or even playing it. Who goes first wins.
Wouldn't that just be a game of heads and tails.
Heads, your white, you win, game decided.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am pretty sure that a poor player would have a better chance of beating a good player in poker compared to chess