Is poker "gambling"?

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So of coarse no one plays perfect poker. So darkassasin might sin regularly by making a mistake but since it's a mistake I don't think god will hold him to it.

darkassasin can also constantly be tempted to sin by wanting to chase his hand. That is tough to deal with for darkassasin.

I say if your serious about this kind of sin I just think it's way to much temptation for anyone..

My personal opinion is I see how complexed the universe is but how well balanced it is also. Us humans are far from perfection and with the mind like god has . I don't think, If you strive to play the way the people on here are telling you about playing in a non gambling way that god will hold you to it when the time comes to judge you like it says in your Christian religion.

Meaning I think you will be all right with god if you don't get obsessed with poker (spending more time with it than family etc) which means you will play casually and that is actually forcing you to gamble in the definition that cardschat members are saying that playing a little bit is gambling !!!! arrrgh you are in a tough spot .

Thats just my soul thinking... SORRY DIDN'T MEAN TO QUOTE YOU FLETCHDAD

ps I love your christian poker name darkassasin hahahaha ;)

Last edited:
K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is gambling for sure. just like the stock market, lottery, bingo, etc. if u dont have total contol of a situation, its gambling.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is gambling for sure. just like the stock market, lottery, bingo, etc. if u dont have total contol of a situation, its gambling.

No that is completely untrue.

Lottery and bingo, you have absolutely no control of the outcome. Whereas in poker, you have information and skill which gives you advantage over other players.

You can make people call with unfavourable odds, you can call with favourable odds. You can make different plays based on reads on players which will be profitable.

Comparing Lottery and poker is retarded, and quite offensive tbh.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a fairly pure form of gambling, yes.

Gambling is wagering something of value against an uncertain outcome.

Word to the wise: If you are not gambling when playing poker as defined above, you are losing.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
V

vasysm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A slightly different opinion here. I feel poker is most of all a discipline. Of course, if you don't treat it as such... it may be called also gambling.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is something i ponder. I am a christain, and many people view playing poker for money is against christian believeifs. Because poker is considered gambling. Now, I have done a little bit of research to see what gambling really is and came across this blog.

I enjoyed reading it and Can agree with most of what is being said, however it does not answer strait "yes" or "no" if poker is gambling or not, but gives some good info about what gambling is.

Check it out and i would like to hear some feed back ;)

http://www.pokerlistings.com/is-poker-gambling

and from what the article was saying, many things can be considered gambling :)

I often think about this question too. I did a little research about Christianity and gambling. From what I learned it seems if your motives are driven from a love of money and are looking to get rich quick you're on the wrong path. Check out these passages there are some good poker lessons in here.

Proverbs 13:11 says, “Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.” Lesson: poker is one long session.

First Timothy 6:10 says, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” Examples of time I've been "eager" when I'm on tilt and want to get better right after what I believe is a bad beat. Never turns out good. The lesson: stick to your game, keep your confidence and press forward.

Luke 9:62But Jesus said to him, "(A)No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." Lesson: the past is over (doesn't exist) learn from it, move forward. Don't let the past get you too down or too high. Play one hand at a time and when it's over it's over.

It doesn't matter if it's gambling or not. What matters is why and how you play.

seaeyes

seaeyes

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I beleive it can be both depend on how you play and spend.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife (who has never played poker) tells me cash games are gambling and tournaments are not.

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not just Gambling. You have to play patiently and be disciplined.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to gamble sngs for a couple hours.

A

asiancurse

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course poker is gambling...If you have a flush draw and you decide to shove all in against someone with trips your gambling.
If your risking your money in anything to get more its gambling.
Your buying into a game to try to gain more money.
It is like buying stocks.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often think about this question too. I did a little research about Christianity and gambling. From what I learned it seems if your motives are driven from a love of money and are looking to get rich quick you're on the wrong path. Check out these passages there are some good poker lessons in here.

Proverbs 13:11 says, “Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.” Lesson: poker is one long session.

First Timothy 6:10 says, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” Examples of time I've been "eager" when I'm on tilt and want to get better right after what I believe is a bad beat. Never turns out good. The lesson: stick to your game, keep your confidence and press forward.

Luke 9:62But Jesus said to him, "(A)No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." Lesson: the past is over (doesn't exist) learn from it, move forward. Don't let the past get you too down or too high. Play one hand at a time and when it's over it's over.

It doesn't matter if it's gambling or not. What matters is why and how you play.

Liked this very much, was extreamly awesome! Getting my God and Poker on at the same time :) doesnt get any beter than this!

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling maybe....luck..not on your life! Not if the same people keep finishing in the top 5% of the field!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_04 Dec. 22 23.46.jpg
    ScreenHunter_04 Dec. 22 23.46.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 35
V

vasysm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's funny to profess troubles of conscience in playing poker when you have the ID "dark assasin".

A baltic country (Estonia, I suppose) legalized tournament poker as a sport, while keeping cash games in gambling category. Maybe because in a tournament everyone starts with the same number of chips, so there's equal opportunity in the beginning, while in cash games there's the pocket cash disparity. :)

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A baltic country (Estonia, I suppose) legalized tournament poker as a sport, while keeping cash games in gambling category.

That's pretty ridiculous. Luck plays a much bigger role in tournament poker than it does in cash games, so it should be the other way round.

V

vasysm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's mostly about equality of chances... how would you regulate cash games in a sporting sense? Make X hours a session, with equal stacks at first, and see who's ahead at the end?

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty ridiculous. Luck plays a much bigger role in tournament poker than it does in cash games, so it should be the other way round.

Do you crouch in the bushes and wait after posting this, or just walk away and come back a little later? ;)

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% poker is gambling.

The act of gambling is defined as wagering money on the outcome of an uncertain event in a game of change.

When playing poker

1. money is wagered
2. unless you hold the absolute nuts the outcome is uncertain.
3. poker is a game of chance.

The skill centres around wagering money when you are either ahead or unlikely to be called, but since you do not know the outcome of that wager until after its made, poker is a gambling activity.

A lot of people try and distance themselves from this because they simply do not like the word "gambling".

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The stock market isnt gambling as money is not wagered in a game of chance.

Gambling refers to a very specific activity.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100% poker is gambling.

The act of gambling is defined as wagering money on the outcome of an uncertain event in a game of change.

When playing poker

1. money is wagered
2. unless you hold the absolute nuts the outcome is uncertain.
3. poker is a game of chance.

The skill centres around wagering money when you are either ahead or unlikely to be called, but since you do not know the outcome of that wager until after its made, poker is a gambling activity.

A lot of people try and distance themselves from this because they simply do not like the word "gambling".

This is a reasonable definition for gambling. But brings up the question, what would you call wagering on coin flips (actual coin flips) where you can never have the nuts, and everyone knows coin flips are gonna be a 50-50 proposition?:confused::confused: Coin flips also assume we would have complete information with the exception of the outcome. Only a dishonest coin would affect the long term outcome.

But in a coin flip situation, you pretty much have to be in every flip, whereas in poker, or horse racing or Stock Market investing, you use the available information, (all of it hopefully) to make decisions. So 3 years ago gold would have been a knowledge based investment (the market is crashing, real estate is dumping, jobs being lost, etc.), and shown great returns over the last 3 years, whereas today it might be at it's peak (might not be still) and is less of a knowledge based decision and more of a hunch based thing compared to 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a reasonable definition for gambling. But brings up the question, what would you call wagering on coin flips (actual coin flips) where you can never have the nuts, and everyone knows coin flips are gonna be a 50-50 proposition?:confused::confused:

You would call wagering money on coin flips... gambling

roulette where the odds of black coming up are slightly under 50:50 .. also gambling.

A skilled gambler would realise that as the odds are slightly against him in a game of roulette that he can never win in the long run. Therefore a skilled gambler might stay away from roulette. Never-the-less its also an example of gambling. Just as a skilled poker player would avoid calling an all in without correct odds when he recons to be behind.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling