Is poker "gambling"?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All who play it will burn in hellz for this sin.

Believing in god is merely stupid, but believing in hell is deeply perverted form of sadism. I don't know why it is still in any way socially acceptable.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dusty Schmidt's article in the latest issue of CardPlayer (December 21, 2010) magazine is titled "A Game of Skill, and Therefore a Job--Why playing poker qualifies as a profession". While he doesn't mention the word "gambling", what he has to say below is certainly germane to answering the OP question. I've inserted that word where I feel it pertains to the issue.

To me, defining poker as a game of skill is actually quite simple. To do so, you just need to forget about winning at poker and think for a moment about losing. Is it possible to intentionally lose a poker game? Yes, of course. But is it possible to intentionally lose a game like roulette or craps? No, it's not.

In games of chance [gambling], the participant cannot control the outcome. Whether your intent is to win or lose the lottery, your odds remain the same. The superstitious may disagree, but no matter how many times you pull the handle of a slot machine, your odds remain the same each time you put your coins into the slot.

But in poker, your actions can influence the outcome of a hand. You will absolutely lose if you fold to every hand no matter what cards you hold. If you call bets with a hand that cannot win the pot, you will also lose every time. This is the difference between a game of chance [gambling] and a game of skill.

It's common knowledge among poker players that chance is a factor in any given hand, but over many hands, poker will even things out, with the more expert players making a profit.

The PoolBoy

The PoolBoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jerry Yang is a Christian and the way he plays...... It is gambling.

A

arrytus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty Schmidt's article in the latest issue of CardPlayer (December 21, 2010) magazine is titled "A Game of Skill, and Therefore a Job--Why playing poker qualifies as a profession". While he doesn't mention the word "gambling", what he has to say below is certainly germane to answering the OP question. I've inserted that word where I feel it pertains to the issue.

To me, defining poker as a game of skill is actually quite simple. To do so, you just need to forget about winning at poker and think for a moment about losing. Is it possible to intentionally lose a poker game? Yes, of course. But is it possible to intentionally lose a game like roulette or craps? No, it's not.

In games of chance [gambling], the participant cannot control the outcome. Whether your intent is to win or lose the lottery, your odds remain the same. The superstitious may disagree, but no matter how many times you pull the handle of a slot machine, your odds remain the same each time you put your coins into the slot.

But in poker, your actions can influence the outcome of a hand. You will absolutely lose if you fold to every hand no matter what cards you hold. If you call bets with a hand that cannot win the pot, you will also lose every time. This is the difference between a game of chance [gambling] and a game of skill.

It's common knowledge among poker players that chance is a factor in any given hand, but over many hands, poker will even things out, with the more expert players making a profit.

this is insightful

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omg if poker isn't gambling what is? R u playing for money? No offense, but if anyone think it not gambling there crazy. People who go in depth on such a topic is thinking to hard. If your a Christian, don't try to rationalize it because you want to play. Ain't no point trying to make excuses.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like it is definately a gamble, you not going to win on bad cards. A good poker player is someone that is very lucky, the ones that say that there is alot of skill is full of it.

so explain Annette15 winning a 180 man while never once seeing her hole cards?

If only cards mattered then in the end we would all break even.

If you gave a good player and a bad player the exact same cards to play (with all the villains getting the same cards vs each) the better player will win more/ make more $$. Why?
-winning with the worst hand because he can better range the villain and pick bluf spots

-The better player will get more value out of the big hands than the fish

-The better player will lose less with the marginal ones.

-And if it was a tournament and got near the end game where the money was, te better player would bully the crap out of the villains, while the bad player would fold like a nit until he saw a real hand.

It's gambling for bad players. Long term it's skill for good players.

WV dude got it right early in this thread, dunno why anyone else bothers after he chimes in, he's usually right.

Cliffs: Fish gamble. SHarks play with skill.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about this: some people are gambling when they play poker; others (who would include a majority of the people that are active CC members) aren't gambling when they play poker.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just my .02, but I believe playing the stock market is definitely gambling. You are investing in the future (wagering) based on the outcome of unknown events (events that will occur that will make or break your stock/investment). There is much more to it than that of course, but still definitely gambling.

;) .

FYP

The similarities between the stock market and poker are so close that any sane person will suggest it boils down to what tie a person is wearing when in action. Oh wait, few poker players wear ties.........

MissJoice

MissJoice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it is gambling. Gambling is when you have no control over the outcome such as a horse race. With poker you are a guiding factor on the outcome.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok for those who think i am trying to rationalize my poker playing, i am not, i was just curious.

I have read much and have come to the conclusion that games of gambling are those that have nothing to do with changing the out come of the game.

Poker you DO decide what happens in the game. As Lark mentioned if you were to FOLD every hand, you are deffinently not gambling. Rather you are using your skill to enfluence the game. (not a good enfluence for yout the folder :p )

Over all i have made my conclustion that Poker in itself is NOT gambling. BC you can always fold a hand and a fold is never a bad decision, bc you are still in the game. :p ( talking 2 all my toueny players haha)

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Whilst this may be true in some context. It's still a gamble. I mean there have been times where I've had enough and just gone all-in with the worse possible hands and had someone call. I hit runner,runner,runner to win the hand. So no it is not possible to know 100% the outcome on weather you are going to win a hand or not. Probability has its part and being massive under dog as we all know and have been sucked out on doesn't mean you can "lose" at poker on purpose.

The only way to know 100% if you can lose at poker is by knowing what the other persons hand is and going all-in knowing no matter what cards come, you have still lost.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The last time that I went to a bookstore to find a book on poker I had to look under the "gambling" section.

I think that anybody that tells you that poker isn't a form of gambling must be making excuses for themselves, and is in a state of self-denial....:angel:

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think God himself took a bit of a gamble when he decided to plant the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and told Adam and Eve not to eat its fruits. :)

That's a good one, but what would you say he was he thinking when he invented Pandora's Box?:D

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Then who are the poker Gods?
What religion is that?

:confused:

:withstupi

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"sigh"

wish I could say "in before the merge" but where can we merge it????

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then who are the poker Gods?
What religion is that?

:confused:

:withstupi

It wasn't that stupid. The post about the Tree of Knowledge reminded me of a required essay for my college Greek Mythology class that I wrote a few years ago about the similarities between the book of Genesis & the ancient Greek myth about Pandora's Box. Go figuire.

Last edited:
darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:p ive come to realize when i post a new thread they get quite full of debating, :) I like it :D Good to know i can come up with some decent threads hehehe

Thanks Everyone for all the response's It has given me much insight and has led me to think of poker in many different ways now, (gambling and not gambling) I still think poker in itself is not gambling, (if i can make you fold the best hand :D ) If i can play a certain way to make my villains fold... then i msut be doing something right ;)

gobthemagician

gobthemagician

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread's title reminded me of a quote from the movie Rounders. "How many times do I need to tell you? It's not gambling for me anymore!"

Well maybe that's not exactly it, but you get the jist of it. I think the pros can attest to this statement, it's not the most stable of incomes but a ton better than risky investments, fun too!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cliff notes:

Poker is gambling when dakota-xx plays.

Poker is not gambling when Leatherass plays.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling