Poker Books Worth It?

Enzo1089

Enzo1089

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never been a big believer in books.. playing volume and discussing of hands amongst other solid players is how you really get better.

That's exactly how I felt BEFORE I began reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. I have to say some of the things in this book are a little bit overly obvious, but other things I never knew before I picked up this book. Strangely enough, my local library had it :p

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would start with the "poker bible"; Doyle Brunsons super system volumes one and two. These have more than just Hold'em, cash and MTT. Lots of insights from the best of the best at time written.:)

Very true, but we are talking almost 35 years ago.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Book = Kill Everyone
Also if you have netflix they have a lot of poker videos on there dvd rentals. Good luck.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is Kill Phil worth a read? I've already read Kill Everyone, and was going to buy Raiser's Edge, the 3rd in that series.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A mix of tournament books and cash specific books, have about 6 or 7 i think.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reading your opponents is a big part of the game IMO. I'm trying to get good at it, but I think I still suck. I've made some great reads and folded big hands when I knew I was beat, but I need to make reads like this more often.

Plus I seem to suck at reading body language and tells.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With reads, I think your intuition plays some part. Like you know when you fold when almost every fibre of your being was screaming "he's bluffing!"

Well, that voice should sometimes be trusted and you call. (Careful w/this though!)

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is Kill Phil worth a read? I've already read Kill Everyone, and was going to buy Raiser's Edge, the 3rd in that series.
Saw those books online but just dont want to read em i guess.. I wish i could be a help.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With reads, I think your intuition plays some part. Like you know when you fold when almost every fibre of your being was screaming "he's bluffing!"

Well, that voice should sometimes be trusted and you call. (Careful w/this though!)
Very right imao... Thats how i play anyway and it works for me.:cool:

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There's no substitute for experience, but good books will help you get there a little faster. For example, in HU play I had been folding the button the majority of the time when I got a crap hand. However, it wasn't until I read Harrington's about HU play that I realized this was a mistake most of the time due to pot odds, the probability that the villain also has a crap hand, and giving up position.

I would have found this leak on my own eventually, but reading about it helped me plug it right here and now instead of having it cost me chips continuously over some period of time. That said, the majority of the time where I have been HU in micro tournaments and freerolls, I see other players make this mistake continuously. I have seen people fold the button 5, 6, 7 times in a row and allow themselves to get blinded out because they're waiting for a premium hand. For an absolute beginner it's counterintuitive to put any additional money into a hand like 62o because they're looking only at the cards, not at the whole picture.

You have to be careful though, some poker books aren't worth the paper they're printed on. There's an OLP book by Scott Fishman (sp?) aimed at beginners that focuses more on superstition and lucky charms than it does on pot odds.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think books have helped me some. I keep an open mind, and still follow my own way, but using books help me understand in detail what I am doing more, and opens my mind to certain situations I would not have thought of. Yeah books cant hurt, just keep an open mind about them.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO books are a little obsolete. Strategy should be not older than 1-2 years (I heard that) But if you are a beginner I think that every book is good (on the start). Presently some books are available in the internet and you can download for free. Otherwise always you can hear something interesting from books what will be important and interesting for you.

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker books can help....but u also need to play a lot and be deep into the game...also use youtube

T

turbolaacis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea books is good. my friend think if he know combinations than he can play... Poker is very difficult game... you need be pacient and be agressive but you need about how be agresive and don't lose... it's very deep hobby... books is very good way to understand poker or just go in some forums and reed articles... the good is this forum and pokerstrategy.com

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can someone recommend me any good book about how to play Sit & Go's !!???
THX

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every time I read a poker book I try to change my style, to the way that the author explained to play.I'll try it on a free roll or small stakes game but it seems like I play worse.Maybe I'm just not used to it.I do not think 2 poker players think the same way @ all times maybe close but not the same.If everyone thought and played the same as Phil Ivey ,well...Phil Ivey wouldn't be Phil Ivey.He would just be another average poker player.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Provided you're willing to learn, books are definitely worth it. How much are you likely to spend anyway? Maybe a few hundred dollars over a number of years? Assuming you become a decent player even at low stakes, you'll only spend a tiny portion of your winnings.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can someone recommend me any good book about how to play Sit & Go's !!???
THX

Sit n Go Strategy by Colin Moshman.. GL..

BTW OP, I went thru a ton of books from Super System to Harrington and beyond, and they all contributed to my current sorta OK skill level in most situations and games.... so yes books help a lot... for me anyway...

C

Cleaver00

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategy books

I have recently finished reading sng strategy by Colin moshman and what can I say, the best £15 I have ever spent I have gone from being a fairly poor player at the $0.85 stakes to a fairly solid winning player at the $5.50 stakes in a matter of months. I would strongly recommend this book to any new poker player! However I set out on my poker journey with a goal, of making at least a decent second income and obviously playing the $5.50 games I'm a fair way off that. Given I haven't mastered Multitabling and with my job and kids only have time for 3-5 sng tourneys a night. I have seen many other strategy/psychology books around, can anyone recommend any more that I should be reading to help my game along even more? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Decide to Play Great Poker! (that is the name of the book) I picked up this highly rated book co-written by John Vorhaus and Annie Duke.

If you are an analytic type of person this book covers every possible situation is played out and between the two of them they offer incredible pro level insights into the thought processes that should occur during a hand.

It is SUPER in-depth, but I am so glad that its on my shelf. Probably the best poker book that I have seen so far in terms of accessibility, strategy, analysis, advice.

C

Cleaver00

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool thanks for that I will definitely have a look into that book!

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'd suggest learning to multi-table may be a more immediate priority than moving up another buyin level or two. Start with two. You can either stay at 5.50 if you think you'll be comfortable, or drop down lower. In either case, play until you get used to the pace, then add one more.

I wouldn't set a target number of tables since different people have different capacities. So you may find 2 or 3 is your practical limit, or maybe it'll be quite a few more.

MiguelC18

MiguelC18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a beginner at nhl. I haven't bought a book on poker yet but I think this forum and other articles I have read are proving to be helpful. I think I will invest in one book at a time, there is a lot of information out there on poker but yeah it's common sense that not all of it is good.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read the books.. harrington, Vol. 1, 2. and three. Do the problems, go play and reread the books you will be stunned how much you missed.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read Phil Jacksons book, Eleven Rings, this will give you ideas how to balance poker and family. it will also help you remain calm.