Poker Books Worth It?

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker books

I've been playing poker since a very young age and feel as if I would love to go pro and play with the best. To improve my game I am thinking of buying a poker book, I have researched and Doyle Brunson's Super System seems a good buy. Are there any poker books you've read which might help me out? :)

D

Dilivio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker since a very young age and feel as if I would love to go pro and play with the best. To improve my game I am thinking of buying a poker book, I have researched and Doyle Brunson's Super System seems a good buy. Are there any poker books you've read which might help me out? :)
Hi mate,
crushing the micros-blackrain79 is a very good book

FlushDraww

FlushDraww

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was a limit player I read a book by Matthew Hilger called Internet texas Holdem which was very very good but if your a nl cash player Small Stakes Holdem by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth and Ed Miller might be a good choice along with super system. If a tournament player go with the 3 book series by Dan Harrington

1bollywood1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on CG i dont know , on MTT kill elky is a nice for me .some board with range to push /call short stack ....

ElmarLCH

ElmarLCH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked harrington on hold'em (tournament). There are much examples where you can practice your knowledge.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books vary significantly in how appropriate they are to different players with different ability / knowledge levels, who play at different stakes, and who mainly play different forms of poker. So your question would be likely to solicit better answers if you provide more info.

R

regirp100

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
surely The Green Book of Poker Texas Hold Em written by PHIL GORDON will help you.
Phil Gordon deepened their knowledge about No Limit Texas Hold'em in this 'little green book'. Taking as reference the book Harvey Penick, bestselling e'bíblia 'golf - Little Red Book - Phil is put in the role of student and teacher, offering insightful tips on how to think about poker and how to develop a unique style of play . Making use of philosophy, psychology, strategy, math and the knowledge acquired in the game with opponents like T. J. Cloutier, Phil Ivey, Hank Azaria and Ben Affleck, Phil reveals enlightening and instructive aspects of the game.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only book I read about poker was Doyle Brunson's super system. And I liked it a lot. But I am also looking for something other now. So thanks for some tips guys :)

jhonihgrass

jhonihgrass

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those who read

Who read the book "Ace on the River"?
He is good?

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read em and reap, by Joe Navarro, a former FBI profiler, is a great book for reading physical tells in people. I think these skills are useful for poker and for guys trying to read their girlfriends.

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit n Go Strategy by Colin Moshman.. GL..

BTW OP, I went thru a ton of books from Super System to Harrington and beyond, and they all contributed to my current sorta OK skill level in most situations and games.... so yes books help a lot... for me anyway...

Sit&Go strategy very helpfull indeed :D

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"It depends".

Too vague of a question. Yes, books are an excellent resource but which book or how successful it will be for you depends on you, your game, your interests, your skills, etc. Tell us more ;)

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it depends on the book but it will also depend on the person. Different people may take different things from the same book. Knowledge is power in this essence but in poker, knowledge is half the battle. Sometimes making the right call still can get you burnt.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books needed for familiarization only, in practice, they are not very useful to you, it is very difficult to describe the whole process of the game...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Books needed for familiarization only, in practice, they are not very useful to you, it is very difficult to describe the whole process of the game...
Which books have you read?

D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Decide to Play Great Poker! (that is the name of the book) I picked up this highly rated book co-written by John Vorhaus and Annie Duke.

If you are an analytic type of person this book covers every possible situation is played out and between the two of them they offer incredible pro level insights into the thought processes that should occur during a hand.

It is SUPER in-depth, but I am so glad that its on my shelf. Probably the best poker book that I have seen so far in terms of accessibility, strategy, analysis, advice.
I enjoyed this book and the follow up The Middle Zone. They don't give you formulas to follow, but how to think about what's going on.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Since joining this forum I've found some good books to read up on. Phil Gordon's green book as definitely improved my tournament play. It can never be harmful to get new strategies and improve your game so I would recommend checking stuff out

R

RogerZzz8979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think reading in about the game is never a bad idea :)

M

madmonster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is there a program that's tell u your % or chance of wining or losing out there like u see in the poker series its not cheating but good to knw how u stand in any situation

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The volume you put in will be much more important than a book can be, but I believe poker books are very strong because they can guide you to play the game the right way.. once you have a grip on how to play winning poker thats when the volume of playing comes in.. hope this helped!

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of the books are outdated, but if your really new its a great place to start. I remember the way I got started with poker was, I played a home game and immediately fell in love. I went on Amazon and ordered 5 books

The theory of Poker
Dan Harringtons tourney books V1 V1
Mike Caros book of tells
As well as Gus Hansens book about his Aussie millions title.

reading the book Gus wrote gave me a lot of prospective very early on, much more so than the others.

RegHC23

RegHC23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a book that i think you will like. One of the the members long bong have recommended the book called the mental game of poker. Its a great book and I can tell you that it has changed my game dramatically for the better. Its all about your mind, fear, tilt, and so many other things that cause you problems. All of the solutions are here and just like long bong said when he recommended it to me, if i could have started with one book over any other book when i started poker this would have been the book I would have picked.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read the booksw with someone else of the same skill level, discuss each chapter, then move on to new book. You my be the worlds great intutinve player but the books will sharpen you, the discussion will help another 6-8%. Reading people is a completely different skill and none of the current books in the poker world are worth the effort.