Is Poker Addicting?

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be addictive depending on your mentality and how you perceive the game if you see it as a way to get "quick or easy" money that you only play thinking about money can become addictive and fall into gambling.

Now if you see it from another perspective from a professional perspective and that it is a game that you are passionate about and that requires a lot of study and practice and you are aware that it depends a little on the variance, but if you are aware of all this you know that you will earn money from medium or long term, you can avoid becoming addicted to gambling because you see it from a professional point of view.

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it can be for sure like all “ gamble “ games ur I think ppl can also controls it, depend on the type

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be on the safe side to avoid becoming addicted to poker.

HeshamTwix

HeshamTwix

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EG
Chips
It is not, but it depends on the player mind, if it makes u feel so angry that u need to put all ur money in, if u feel that way so please dont play poker at all

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously anything can be addictive but yes Poker is addictive because you are rewarded money and most people desire money in some fashion even if you just play for fun.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't allow it to become addicting, because this is not good, you cannot think clear and wise it is a catastrophe! If it becomes addiction, you must fix this problem before it grows bigger!

Thiagon

Thiagon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't consider myself a poker addict. But yes, I consider myself a fanatic for the game.
I was never a poker scholar. I developed my game with practice and with my family members who also like to play for longer than me.
I never spend a weekend without playing. However, work prevents me from playing daily.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Not necessarily that poker is addictive, I say that anything you like you will want to have it more and more often.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes it can be addicting

But if it brings you joy of playing and you arent gambling with money you cant afford to lose there is no problem!

studying it everyday good though helps you in the long run!
doesnt mean you're addicited at all and watching streams is also good helps you aswell and it takes your mind of wanting to play it

L

louis627

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I set a weekly limit and if I really want to play more I walk away from it for a while.
I also have never changed my limit.

AQA272

AQA272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is addictive because it’s a game of both skill and luck.Games where outcomes are partially in player’s control and partially out of player’s control are highly addictive.
Poker is exactly this type of game.
Poker requires skill and self-control to win consistently over time. Top poker players are well known and highly skilled.
However, each individual game’s outcome depends on a large degree of luck. Players who get better hands than their opponent, land a great river, or play against the odds can still win.This randomness in winning outcomes creates emotional highs and lows that are both exciting and memorable.
Players know that poker requires skill, but it’s how poker game results diverge from player expectations that causes them to play more.
These divergences cause the emotions that players remember and influence behavior. Wins produce emotional highs and release of dopamine. Losses don’t match player expectations and are rationalized as bad-luck.
Even more importantly, losses make players appreciate winning because losses mean that winning is scarce, and therefore instinctually more valuable.
Poker game outcomes divergence from expectation makes poker addictive.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is just as addicting as any other gambling. Even though there is more skill involved, the adrenaline we get from winning is the same.

NEVER playing for more than you can lose keeps it under control. But just because you are managing your addiction, doesn't mean that it isn't still an addiction.

I believe we all have our passions that we invest our time in. The trick is to pick things that are helpful rather than harmful to us. Gambling and poker can be managed, but it takes conscious effort and deliberate energy to prevent it from getting out of control.

I have a family member that lost everything, including her home, due to gambling. So I am well aware of the dark side of this addiction. Knowing this, I set my limits and stick to them. Hopefully, I am able to stick to this and not become another statistic. Awareness is valuable.

Good luck and God bless.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For some people, poker can be addictive. There are players who have the game in their blood and play poker in the same way. If you follow good money and time management, you should be fine.;)

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not a thinker. You will be addicted.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Some folks have that "addictive" trait. Like beer, cigarettes, whiskey, football, baseball, etc, if you love poker and have that trait, then the answer most likely is yes.

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not just poker, any game can make you addictive, like mobile games and PC games.

You have to be able to control yourself.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, poker is fascinating. Football is interesting too. But because of my age, it is already difficult for me to play football at a good level. In comparison with football, poker has a big plus - there are no age restrictions.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
when you love what you do you want to live to do it poker is a passion andif you play it to live on this with responsibility it will be your greatest addiction

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. Some folks have that "addictive" trait. Like beer, cigarettes, whiskey, football, baseball, etc, if you love poker and have that trait, then the answer most likely is yes.
I think the same. When you are an addictive person, for sure poker will give you the ground to feed your needs.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play almost every day

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level