hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, poker is a hobby and an additional income, but not the main one, I don't have enough time to devote myself to poker. But I hope in the future that I will become a professional and poker will be my main income

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you want to make stable money playing poker, then micro limits are not the right option for sure. This money is simply not enough for you to live on, you need to choose medium or high limits. But there are a lot more good players and very bad players at such a limit. You'll have to invest heavily in the game and work on it to beat your limit.

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
What is the biggest difficulty for you to have online poker as your job (main income)
I'm profitable in mtt micros but my point that I can't keep poker is the difficulty with my financial discipline (I withdraw my winnings) and lack of opportunity, what about you?
Why don't you try to build a bankroll that allows you to play higher stakes and at the same time have higher incomes?

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is the biggest difficulty for you to have online poker as your job (main income)
I'm profitable in mtt micros but my point that I can't keep poker is the difficulty with my financial discipline (I withdraw my winnings) and lack of opportunity, what about you?
If I depended on poker to live, I would starve.😁🤣🤣

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my situation is lack of practice or I'm not good enough to play soccer and have a good income with it, sometimes I have $50 but then I withdraw $40 so I can keep playing with the 10 but most of the time I lose that money

B

Bs0112

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CL
Chips
I can't because of the lack of income in my country, very little is earned for what I spend, my country's salary is 200 dollars a month, that's barely enough to survive.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't know poker has an element of luck and a lot depends on it. I think it is quite difficult to count on a stable monthly income, and income is needed every month.
I agree, luck will not pay the rent or buy food. Only if you buy the lottery (but don't count on that)!

W33dzLov3r

W33dzLov3r

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
There are a handful of people who did make Poker a way of living, so I`m on my way to making it happen for me, but I must confess that it is a hard path with lots of things that no poker player talks about, like lots of math, lots of psychology or statistics ;) So, I did overcome things I wasn`t expecting. But, I`m curious about how it works for other people across the planet ;) Thank you for your time and honesty ;)

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Yes, that desire can be realized, but as long as enough hours and dedication are dedicated to making a living from poker,

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
no way , but from time to time I get good scores that allows me to enjoy a good time of free poker play :) , without deposit :)

Gavincwb

Gavincwb

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Playing micro you can't have poker as your main income even though you can play 600 games a month and have a good ROI and a lot of discipline. I think it's impossible due to the variation of one month being up and the next being down.
Now at low you can only think that you have to have a bankroll of at least 50 buy-in.
I think everyone's biggest problem here is having that money to keep without touching the bank roll. I myself wouldn't be able to keep that much money just for gambling.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
In canada if you're single you need to make 60k+/yr to have decent standard of living/quality of life.

I'd personally also want 4-5 years of living expenses saved up before even thinking about not having a job and playing poker full time for an income. So that's no less then $240,000 CDN.

^Playing poker at this level isn't easy never mind having an extra $240,000 to do it with. Plus majority of people couldn't handle the stress of it all.

Also worth mentioning the tax law wording is kinda murky in my opinion for Canadians. Based on that wording I think after 5-10 years of showing profits the taxman is gonna come looking for his share so I better have a very good CPA or have the money put away to pay taxes. That means making more than 60k/yr...how much no idea.

Conclusion: There's many easier and less stressful ways to make 60k/yr.

Cheers!!!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
poker can be considered a source of income if you have the finances in your life to support yourself without poker winnings that will only go back to poker, and if you constantly withdraw poker, you will not be able to play poker to earn income because you withdraw the winning money you can keep some for your needs, but you must keep the main amount in poker and increase your funds, many people have this problem, even I did it in the first years of my poker game

nighton

nighton

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I never saw it as a job i have my job and have people to take care of and can't rely on poker to do that is just a fun hobby for me.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you want to make poker your main income, you must understand that poker is not the easiest way to make money, because you constantly need to improve your game and this process (learning and finding errors in the game) should not stop!!!
My main problem is laziness to master the game!!! I just play and enjoy the game and only when I notice that I am playing too poorly do I go back to theory!!!

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a great source of income. For example, in my country, if you have good achievements playing poker, it's possible to live very well. Because our currency is very devalued.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My biggest difficulty is managing my bankroll!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What a difficult professional choice. You also need money to really make money, They say 100 buy ins, so if you are playing $1 $2 with a buy in of $200, you need $20,00 in your bankroll, maybe more. If you can do it my hat is off to you sir! Good hunting!
It's is actually '200' buyins and this is referring to MTT play.
For cash game it is more like 25 - 30buyins.

And, fwiw, someone asking about online poker as a source of income will NEVER be close to being able to beat 'online' 200nl. Only very good players are beating that level 'online'.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let's be honest - we can't make poker our main source of income. Only in the case of positive dynamics and a good “financial cushion” - otherwise no psyche will withstand the intensity of emotions when you sit down to poker with thoughts like “If I don’t win today, then I won’t have enough money to buy food tomorrow.” Choose a job where you have the energy and time to play poker and slowly improve yourself (it would be ideal to have the opportunity to learn poker while working, as some kind of watchman or something like that) - this way you will feel calmer and more confident, and this is huge recipe for success. All the best!

But poker doesn't work this way. Anyone who has played a decent amount knows that for an MTT player, you might only have a winning session 1 out of every 5 sessions... or maybe you'll have winning sessions 1/2 the time for a bit... and then 4 days of large losses, followed by two days where you were able to book some large wins.
It is the 'long run' that matters. I've never met any MTT players who play for a living and expect to have winning days every time they play AND who's following day's expenses (ie. Food) were dependent upon the day of poker they played yesterday. No player in their right mind would consider this.

And HONESTLY, people are playing poker for their main source of income (online poker). Not nearly as many as there were say 10 to 15 years ago and these days it is MUCH harder to make even a decent living at it as there's LOTS of stiff competition out there. It happens though. People are clicking buttons for dollars while I type here now.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am not a sufficiently skilled and experienced player, so I cannot count on income from the game. My bankroll is growing a little at a time,
This ^ is the same for me

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Well, for that, I need to have a ba-in to start earning from poker, and so I play freerolls and it's quite good, up to $100-300 a month

Mihail Grinvich

Mihail Grinvich

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Now I do not consider poker as a source of income for personal needs. For me, this is a tool to achieve the goal of helping my brothers who are fighting against the orcs. And you know, it is very motivating and helps to win. Glory to Ukraine!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is just for fun for me at this point. WHile I have had some good luck making some coin its hard to get funds off the sites here and we live every day knowing they can close up shop. Until a safe legalized option happen where I live poke will just have to be for fun in the micros.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
poker as passive income, a good hobby, but I don’t have such a thing that I see myself playing every day for 8-12 hours