A

Ace of Spad3s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
Time. Live in a expensive country.

My main job hourly wage exceeds my winnings by a very large margin.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I suppose I am lucky in that I don't need to rely on Poker as an Income, I was made Redundant in my early 40s and as I had worked for a firm with probably one of the best pension plans in the UK. I was never worried about retiring, In fact I often joked about becoming a Professional Poker Player when I retired.
But playing Poker and making a profit from the game has never been an Issue for me, as I have always had the Mantra "What you never had, You cannot Lose!" So leaving anything I win in my bankroll has never been a problem for me.
Plus the fact I have never deposited with any poker site, so to me the money I have won is just Virtual money. It isn't real, and the only time I withdraw my winnings is when I have given the Poker site the boot!
Playing for small stakes On-line is just a hobby, I don't always trust the software some use, and certainly don't trust the hardware I have, because I have lost connection a few times through no fault of my own, but losing a Dollar or so is not such a big deal, For sure it is annoying but not the end of the World, there is always Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is another day.
Poker has never entered my head as a 2nd Income, I believe that once you have to rely on something to make a living from it then it stop's being a hobby and becomes another Job! I have had way too many Job's in my Life and since retiring 10 years ago I don't want or need another Job.

Igor G

Igor G

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the biggest difficulty for you to have online poker as your job (main income)
I'm profitable in mtt micros but my point that I can't keep poker is the difficulty with my financial discipline (I withdraw my winnings) and lack of opportunity, what about you?
In poker, a lot depends on our luck. Therefore, it is quite difficult to count on a stable income. However, poker can be a source of extra income when you have a job and the financial ability to pay the bills, and poker is just a game that brings you extra income.

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Let's be honest - we can't make poker our main source of income. Only in the case of positive dynamics and a good “financial cushion” - otherwise no psyche will withstand the intensity of emotions when you sit down to poker with thoughts like “If I don’t win today, then I won’t have enough money to buy food tomorrow.” Choose a job where you have the energy and time to play poker and slowly improve yourself (it would be ideal to have the opportunity to learn poker while working, as some kind of watchman or something like that) - this way you will feel calmer and more confident, and this is huge recipe for success. All the best!

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the biggest difficulty for you to have online poker as your job (main income)
I'm profitable in mtt micros but my point that I can't keep poker is the difficulty with my financial discipline (I withdraw my winnings) and lack of opportunity, what about you?
To be able to make money at poker consistently, you need to have iron nerves, a lot of time and start-up assets. Of course, the way you know how to survive losing periods in poker means a lot. After all, it is very difficult sometimes to control your nerves and continue to play in a calm way. :cool:

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
One of the most difficult challenges for new players today is making it through the micro stakes (from NL2 to NL25).You will not have to report to anyone, but only to yourself. Very few professions in the world can offer you as much independence as professional poker. No one will stand over your soul and force you to work.Dispersion is also the reason for the second big disadvantage in the life of a poker player.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The situation is similar; lately there has been no income at all. So poker is now fun for me:) I hope everything will get better soon

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What a difficult professional choice. You also need money to really make money, They say 100 buy ins, so if you are playing $1 $2 with a buy in of $200, you need $20,00 in your bankroll, maybe more. If you can do it my hat is off to you sir! Good hunting!

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think if you were to try it seriously you would probably need to set out a financial plan and deposit enough to make the return that you want. Choose a plan and stick to it. As most have said before though it becomes a job then and not a hobby. I’m happy playing with the bank roll I’ve won so far with no deposit. If I ever get a big win I will probably take my wife out for the weekend or buy myself something!

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually I've just realized that I don't want poker to be a job or even my main source of income.

I started playing poker, (At the wsop play money App on my phone) cause I wanted to be sleek and saw it sleek peeps game and also to kill time.

And by always loosing my fake money stash I felt challenged and started to study and invest time and money in it.

Nowadays I haven't had time for it and play it once in while when I remember and have time for it.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my case it's discipline, I can't have bank management, everything I gain I lose everything again, I can't grow... and think about tomorrow. That is my difficulty. Maybe it's because I'm depositing all my chips into poker, and that's definitely holding me back!

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my case, online poker is my main job nowadays, but I need to be a little more disciplined Because I have the capacity to have great results and improve, but I'm recognizing that I need to be more rigorous with my discipline!:rolleyes::unsure:

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me, poker is pure fun and a hobby, all the money I earn I use for travel and home renovations, I'm retired

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Luck is the only thing that stops me from promoting poker from hobby to job status. At some point I will have to rely on luck so that's not a job in the long run for me. However, as a hobby it is so exciting to play.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't know poker has an element of luck and a lot depends on it. I think it is quite difficult to count on a stable monthly income, and income is needed every month.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Not earning (atleast) the same amount of €€€ compared to average monthly salary :unsure:

Also withdrawing winnings is never bad option (unless you like to waste them on something where you dont win cash at all) ...

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am not a sufficiently skilled and experienced player, so I cannot count on income from the game. My bankroll is growing a little at a time, but it's really only because of the CardsChat freerolls.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
To address your personal challenges, I would recommend considering the following points:

Financial Management: Lack of financial discipline is a common problem in poker and other freelance jobs. It is important to establish a solid financial plan that includes savings and withdrawal goals. You can consult a financial advisor if you need help in this regard.

Lack of opportunities: In poker, opportunities can be unpredictable, and it is essential to be prepared for losing streaks. Consider diversifying your income sources or looking for other means to supplement your poker winnings.

Maintain a long-term focus: Successful poker is often about thinking long-term and making decisions based on sound strategies rather than reacting emotionally to short-term wins or losses.

Continuing education: Poker is a constantly evolving game, and it is important to continue learning and improving your skills. You can invest time studying strategies, watching training videos, and discussing hands with other players to maintain your advantage.

Work-life balance: Maintaining a healthy balance between your poker work and your personal life is crucial to avoid burnout and stress.
Keep in mind that online poker can be a viable form of income, but it also comes with unique risks and challenges.

It is important to address these challenges proactively and consider all available options to ensure your long-term financial stability.

Aleksandr1991

Aleksandr1991

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If your poker level is high, you can start with CC freerolls with a zero bankroll

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm in the US, so I would face a constant level of risk and uncertainty around withdrawal of funds from poker sites.

I tossed around the idea of becoming serious about online poker but when I was in college I switched away from majoring in computer science specifically because I didn't want to spend 8-10 hours a day in front of a screen grinding away at the same thing day after day, so it wouldn't be realistic for me to try and make a living from this.