Poker.A game of skill or a game of luck?

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you that skill prevails more than luck. I think the luck factor makes poker more interesting, just like any other game. You can take for example the game Minesweeper, where your skill is very important, but there are situations when you just have to guess 50/50 and this has its own twist.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a game of skill and knowledge, but also like everything in life there is a luck factor, but in the long run that luck is eliminated and the positive results will come.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
It is a game of skill, but luck is reakly a big part of it

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are all kinds of figures bandied about how much Luck and Skill is involved in Poker. The one thing you cannot argue with is that there will always be an element of Luck involved, When you consider that there are 52 cards in the deck, which are shuffled and cut before every hand is dealt, There is no way you can remember which cards are going to hit the Flop, Turn and River. After seeing one card and expecting then to be in the same order as the last hand.
So yes some players just get lucky, but the skilful players will generally win more often over a series of hands. The main skill is sizing your bets, You want callers when you are in the lead with the best hand, Too small and you are missing out on gaining chips, too big and you risk losing the Fish .
Getting that balance right is very important, and if you can convince your opponent that you are bluffing in a hand when the fact is you are holding the "Nuts" then you just give them enough rope to hang themselves. That takes Skill.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everyone! By my opinion, in Poker, as and in Life, the All is very important! Therefore, I wouldn't to divide Skill and Luck,
as in Life, so and in Poker... May be this will a very strange for anyone, but I think, Skill and Luck are linking! But this is only my private opinion!

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In general, I agree with you. I also believe that poker is a combination of player skill and luck, roughly 75%/25%. The more experience we have and the better our skills, the greater our chances of achieving a good result. There are different days, luck is not always on our side, but at least we know for sure that our experience and our craftsmanship are always with us :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
poker is an experience of knowledge, as well as luck, so without it, you have to play poker and develop every day. If you want to become a successful player, you will have to study and learn poker, but no matter how strong a player you are, even a new player can beat you because he can just be led

G

godollar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
Both. Or everyone would be rich by now

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
In the short term, luck plays more of a role. In the long term, skill clearly matters, I feel that the ratio is 80:20 in favor of skill.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker is a game based primarily on the skill of the player, and not at all subject to the will of blind chance. This is only the first of the conclusions, which, if you delve deeper, will be followed by many others. At the same time, in addition to analyzing hands, it is necessary to analyze the games of the players themselves.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I'm more inclined to the skill factor. you need to be able to play with bad cards and bluff. anyone can play with pocket aces, but it's not so easy to do it with trash hands. well, the luck factor is certainly present, it's a card game)) after all, even against aces there is a 20% chance of winning.

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is a game of skill, and like other sports it has luck, only in a more evident way.

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
positive answers all gave.just to prove that every individual player is expressing his own unique experiences,and at he same time,all the responses i have read are 100% positive opinions.

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
positive answers all gave.just to prove that every individual player is expressing his own unique experiences,and at the same time,all the responses i have read are 100% positive opinions.
poker is also a beautiful game when played , alongside different people,from different parts of the world. it gives you insight of certain ways,others play,which beforehand, you might not have observed,and would have gone unnoticed. picking up clues and tips from others also summons up and adds to your own experience. It adds spice and colour to the game,and takes of the routine ways ,you might have been seeing the game,from your own perceptives.best regards.

Last edited:
TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a game of luck.
But with enough skill you will overcome the luck.

N

nazarkrasnuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it seems to me that skill is the most important factor. But luck also plays a big role

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, poker is a game of skill, patience, technical knowledge and luck.
Since luck has a small percentage, as poker is a long-term game, if you are making the correct moves, playing the correct range for each position in the long term you will be profitable.
The player with more skill in the long run will win more than a player who is lucky.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
A contradictive concept of poker ,is the usual,pull and pull on players psyches,whether a good poker player relys on his skills and experience,or on luck.so players might figure out for themselves,according to their own unique experiences,how they figure that out.It's a coin debate.heads or tails? hope some pardon my concept,based also on my own experience.i believe poker is based on 75% skills,and 25% luck.given the presumption you might have a winning hand,with skillfull playing ,on any particular hand,it might come as a surprise,that the river turns the tables on you,and the weakest hand or link wins.i am not assuming skills have no influence on the outcome of a poker game,but also i am not ruling out that lucky opponent,who beats the odds and wins. The 3rd factor,which is crucial in this type of situation is cautious playing,and knowing early in the game when to fold.a good poker player,is not about how many hands you win,but also how many hands you fold.hope this little bit of info ,comes across as a rational poker strategy that anyone can apply to increase your chances at beating the odds.my regards.
In poker the part of your luck depends on lots of factors.
Maybe in one hand you are waiting for a river with 14 outs, that is, out of 46 cards you have a 30% "probability or luck" that your hand will be the winner, and at the same time you have to take into account if your hand opponent is a value hand or a bluff hand.
You could say that you "were not lucky enough" to get those outs into your hand.
And at the same time, your outs do not mean that your hand is the winner.
For example, you have an AcKc hand and your opponent has a JhJd hand. If a turn completes Jc4cAdQs, in theory your outs would only be the flush draws, but you should remove the Qc from those draws because it would give your opponent a full house even if you complete the flush.
In other words, within the mathematical probabilities of "luck" there are also the probabilities that your opponent can improve his hand even more.
Greetings:):):)

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
In poker the part of your luck depends on lots of factors.
Maybe in one hand you are waiting for a river with 14 outs, that is, out of 46 cards you have a 30% "probability or luck" that your hand will be the winner, and at the same time you have to take into account if your hand opponent is a value hand or a bluff hand.
You could say that you "were not lucky enough" to get those outs into your hand.
And at the same time, your outs do not mean that your hand is the winner.
For example, you have an AcKc hand and your opponent has a JhJd hand. If a turn completes Jc4cAdQs, in theory your outs would only be the flush draws, but you should remove the Qc from those draws because it would give your opponent a full house even if you complete the flush.
In other words, within the mathematical probabilities of "luck" there are also the probabilities that your opponent can improve his hand even more.
Greetings:):):)
how about this incredible poker hand i saw played? player 1 has...AA. player 2 has JJ. opening 3 cards....AJJ ?

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
how about this incredible poker hand i saw played? player 1 has...AA. player 2 has JJ. opening 3 cards....AJJ ?
the pot? man,i think the guy with pockets aces,must have smashed his t.v set when he went home....AWESOME !

Top 10 Games