Poker.A game of skill or a game of luck?

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
A contradictive concept of poker ,is the usual,pull and pull on players psyches,whether a good poker player relys on his skills and experience,or on luck.so players might figure out for themselves,according to their own unique experiences,how they figure that out.It's a coin debate.heads or tails? hope some pardon my concept,based also on my own experience.i believe poker is based on 75% skills,and 25% luck.given the presumption you might have a winning hand,with skillfull playing ,on any particular hand,it might come as a surprise,that the river turns the tables on you,and the weakest hand or link wins.i am not assuming skills have no influence on the outcome of a poker game,but also i am not ruling out that lucky opponent,who beats the odds and wins. The 3rd factor,which is crucial in this type of situation is cautious playing,and knowing early in the game when to fold.a good poker player,is not about how many hands you win,but also how many hands you fold.hope this little bit of info ,comes across as a rational poker strategy that anyone can apply to increase your chances at beating the odds.my regards.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
It is a game of skill and knowledge but as in everything in life there is also some luck.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Its a game where both are intertwined to a point where skill could be luck and luck could be skill.
Its all how its interpreted at the time or after.
Kicking yourself because of your own idiocy or blaming your luck. Which do you prefer.

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
what is luck ? ... a series of randomly implemented mathematical odds ?

C

chrisybucano

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I watch a lot of poker and convince myself I’m on par. But brought down to earth when I play.
Do you think online poker and face to face poker are completely different games? Or is it just me.

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
what is luck ? ... a series of randomly implemented mathematical odds ?
In poker,luck can be almost similar,to alteration of probability. based on the assumption the dealer deals random cards and players bet ,raise,or fold according to their hands.so if it was a live table,you got 52 cards,and that is also crucial to assume the odds of cards dealt,and cards remaining. a good poker player needs to know what i call dead cards.cards already dealt.

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
o
I watch a lot of poker and convince myself I’m on par. But brought down to earth when I play.
Do you think online poker and face to face poker are completely different games?

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
yes they are.with online poker,and esp the fast dealing games,you cant read the cards dealt,and the cards remaining. with face to face poker,it is easy to read cards.e.g ,chances of you getting 3 of a kind,lets say you have 2 aces,and one already dealt,is quite low.why i say this,is the fact in face to face poker,e.g ,stud poker,you have open cards,a link to know ,the chances of a suiting card,already dealt,e.g ace, king,queen, etc,,which you might be betting on,has now become almost hard to hit.2 kings shown?and you have a king,what is the odds of getting the last king?

Last edited:
fifers

fifers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
Well, in general, a computer program and human hands may seem similar, and whether there is a difference it is impossible to check

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
Well, in general, a computer program and human hands may seem similar, and whether there is a difference it is impossible

Well, in general, a computer program and human hands may seem similar, and whether there is a difference it is impossible to check
true,it is not easy.esp with a computer program.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you are talking about online poker so it is a game of luck first of all and then a game of skill on the secondary place.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I agree with your 75% skill and 25% luck theory. In the short run, luck is more important than skills, but in the long run you need skills to be a successful player.

Fumogrosso

Fumogrosso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There is no champion without luck, but luck only comes to the best

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't want to contradict anyone but I was thinking that whatever skills you have, luck can cancel them all 🤔. Then I wonder what percentage he has before abilities?

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A contradictive concept of poker ,is the usual,pull and pull on players psyches,whether a good poker player relys on his skills and experience,or on luck.so players might figure out for themselves,according to their own unique experiences,how they figure that out.It's a coin debate.heads or tails? hope some pardon my concept,based also on my own experience.i believe poker is based on 75% skills,and 25% luck.given the presumption you might have a winning hand,with skillfull playing ,on any particular hand,it might come as a surprise,that the river turns the tables on you,and the weakest hand or link wins.i am not assuming skills have no influence on the outcome of a poker game,but also i am not ruling out that lucky opponent,who beats the odds and wins. The 3rd factor,which is crucial in this type of situation is cautious playing,and knowing early in the game when to fold.a good poker player,is not about how many hands you win,but also how many hands you fold.hope this little bit of info ,comes across as a rational poker strategy that anyone can apply to increase your chances at beating the odds.my regards.

Poker is not a simple card game, it is subtle and complex.

Poker is a true competitive sport where strategy, technique, self-control, mental toughness,endurance, combativeness, knowledge of probabilities and calculation of odds, as well as reading the game and the "soul" of one's opponents These areas have more importance than the drawing of cards which, alone, is a matter of luck.

For me it's a combination of the two but often luck predominates, especially in online games.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
in the end of the tournament is all about the luck :)

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is totally a game of skill on many levels. I think that even the top pros need just a little luck to get to the end. Luck by itself though won't get you too far IMO.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
good topic, it was interesting to read both the opinion of the author and all the other participants. I think we all go through this period when we need to answer this question for ourselves and the answer will determine whether we stay in poker professionally or whether it will be an exciting pastime

poker-kin182

poker-kin182

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
Yes, I agree with your 75% skill and 25% luck theory. In the short run, luck is more important than skills, but in the long run you need skills to be a successful player.
i agree totally too.in my opinion really,the best pokers players possess lots of skills,a variety of strategies, determination,plus one main important factor,keeping focused on the game and warding off anger,esp towards someone who just lost a big hand to you and suddenly shows that passive-aggresive side of himself.

Top 10 Games