• Total voters
M

me_035

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I am still on my learning curve in this game. So i would say it is 70-30%for me. Because even if your skills are better than 1000 other players, you still need to hit the cards, Otherwise your rockets are gone against rec player who is holding deuces.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
To win at poker you need a little of both. To win a tournament you depend on luck to win some hands but skill is even more important because it allows you to make correct decisions at a certain moment. With age, skill becomes more important.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Poker is a skill based game with a lot of variance due to the lack of full information or certainty.
Therefore you need very big samplesizes to judge about actual skill levels of players.
Just imagine you are a genius and you can predict the result of a coinflip with 51% certainty. How many times would you have to flip the coin to be "very sure" that your skill can be seen in the results? It's a lot.
On big samplesizes there is no factor such as luck in poker.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a game in which skill and luck are definitely the most important. What is more important, it is difficult to say, but in general, I think this ratio will be 50/50% :cool:

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
what is close to another likes luck to another work to another intelligence to another fun it's all found poker game

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Your luck must be obtained at the tables when that day you receive a lot of good cards during the tournament this will always lead you to the prize Remove all your personal senses This will only lead to you losing precious chips and only believe in the cards on the table
Finally use your luck to play blackjack

Last edited:
AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case, luck often wins, or rather the lack thereof

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I tend to think that skill beats the most along with a lot of patience. Luck is like a prank to fool you and distract you from reality, it is something fleeting and does not last, and stubborn when you need it 🤔.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If we look at it in the long term, skill dominates much more than luck.
In the short term, luck plays almost as big a role as skill.
Overall, I think the ratio is 80:20 in favor of skill.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If we only look at one tournament, luck plays a bigger role.
In the long run, the role of luck balances out, so skill is more important.
I think the ratio can be around 80:20 in favor of skill.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
As much as we would like to think that a lot of poker depends on luck, but in fact, it all depends on our skills. Yes, in tournaments with short stacks where you need to double up within the first 8-12 hands, luck is a priority. But in big slow tournaments - everything depends on our skills. ;)

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
It happen that your success in the long term depends on your skill, but some times you need to have a streak to avoid short term looses.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would say 80% skill and 20% luck

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the long run, luck is diminishing, that's why poker is very profitable if you do things right, study hard, practice and have a solid strategy.

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The thing that separates pros from "regs" is bet sizing's and bluffs. We all get dealt the same cards with the same frequency. The playing field is even for everyone. Being dealt and making a good hand is luck, knowing what bets your opponents will call or fold to is skill, and knowing when a bluff will work is skill.

Playing freerolls is mostly luck as players have nothing on the line and your need to make a hand become more important, therefore luck is needed. For instance, first hand in a freeroll on pokerstars, two all-ins and I go all-in with J9s. Opponents had 99, and the other had ATo. J on the flop (I'm ahead) 9 on the turn. They hit their 1 outer to triple up, pure luck.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Literature says it is 80% skill and 20% luck

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
20 percent luck, 75 skill, 5 percent concentrated power of will. :D

I might be able to fluke a winning session against a world class heads up player every now and then if I got very lucky, anyone could, but if I play them 1000 times I know they're absolutely destroying me 950 times or more.

Last edited:
MazzErati

MazzErati

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi, I think this topic has been here before, right?

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
All 2 factors are necessary to win.

dangtnh

dangtnh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I think Poker is a game of luck of skill.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Both!

If it was 100% luck, you wouldn't see the same pros making final tables and winning 7 figures every year.

If it was 100% skill, those same player would win every tournament they entered and kill the game in no time at all.

Luck plays a bigger part in the short term, but skill will win out in the long term...so long as you have a big enough bankroll to withstand the downswing.

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Its a game of skill in long time the good player will get more money than the bad one

Top 10 Games