Is playing chess a good foundation for poker?

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think those who play chess do have a good base to play poker, because both have to use extrategy and a lot of concentration,

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
chess players certainly get a big bonus when playing a poker game they understand many things that a new player can't learn right away in poker, such as concentrating and thinking ahead of the opponent's topics they are already one level higher than players, but in the long run, players who play more and learn poker become better players

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For me, since there is no luck factor in chess, they become two different games.
In poker the luck factor breaks any strategy.
There are similar things, concentration, intelligence, discipline, patience, study of the opponent.
Not much more than that.
In chess, luck does not exist, but in poker, it does.
Cheers:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think those who play chess do have a good base to play poker, because both have to use extrategy and a lot of concentration,
I think the bad beats would literally crash minds of the poeple not used to them.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that being able to think rationally helps chess players play poker. But we must understand that chess is very different from poker. In chess, the sequence of events is deterministic. Even if there are several options, they are mandatory. In poker, due to its unpredictability, it is impossible to know exactly about future events. This is the big advantage of poker. It is impossible to predict the result in advance.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yep that is two different games and in both games you have to know about position, Strategy, and figure out what your opponents are doing...

Stanley Aguiar

Stanley Aguiar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes and no. Yes in the sense of thinking and focusing, not in the sense that poker has a different game structure.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it is much easier for a person who plays chess to learn how to play poker at a decent level. It is not for nothing that many chess players consider poker their hobby, including world champion Magnus Carlsen.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello!
I think that this is not entirely true.
Chess players are strong at chess, while poker players learn to be the best at poker)
Despite the fact that these games have some common features, they are fundamentally different disciplines.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think in chess and poker are some similiar aspects which brings the success. This could be tactics or passion for the game. Poker and chess seems to be easy but there is a deep way to play. You could learn in both games everyday and there are some much ways to play a good game.

O

OLexZTS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing chess. In my student life, I played a lot more chess than poker because I had a neighbor who is a candidate for a master of sports and he taught me sometimes how to play.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
That's what I've heard and when I saw that young Chess master win an EPT, he convinced me.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that, because Poker and Chess are absolutely the different games. Poker by compare with Chess is game with not full information,
and therefore many depends from Luck...

ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I do not play chess, but I heared from a person who played chess professionally and now playing poker professionally NL500+ tables, that they doesn't have so much common as people think ;) If you are good at chess, that's will not help you to be good in poker. Yes, they have some math here and there but it's very differ in this two games. So, my answer is no, playing chess doesn't effect your poker playing (y)

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess is a strategy game, so it does help a bit.

But Chess and poker are very different otherwise. Chess is complete information game whereas Poker is incomplete information game.

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Because of concetration, the chess past can really help.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe so, there are several chess players who did very well in poker.

R

RAGNARKZ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
There are some similarities between these games.

O

OLexZTS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think chess is good fundamental not only for poker but for life too. It teaches you organization and discipline for all your life.

oleg8519

oleg8519

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I also play chess very often with a computer. Yes, it helps me combine and choose different poker strategies

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been a chess player since I was 12 years old, I have been regional champion in my country in 98 and I can tell you with certainty that they are different and the same games, different because poker is half luck and half strategy and in chess it is a strategy of movements and openings. The same because you have to analyze your rival, how you play poker, know more or less the range of hands you bet with, in chess what opening your opponent is familiar with and how you can refute that opening. In the end, both are games of reasoning, poker is its odds, outs, equity... Chess open openings, closed openings, half games and finals. In poker there are 52 cards, in chess you have to think of at least 15 variants of each move before doing it (Kasparov thought 42 moves forward, Raul Capablanca 1 and said it was the winning move hahahaha)... and Yes, chess can drive people crazy too:Roflmao: but I love it!

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Does playing Chess help with ones concentration and approach? Yes.
Does being good in Chess help with being good in Poker? Maybe.
Is it a foundation? No.

We are comparing oranges and apples here, really. While this 2 games do share some similarities, they are completely different games. People might fall into this trap of thought, since strategic people love to play chess, love to analyze opponents play and outsmart them and hence love to play poker for the same reasons. So you might find a lot of people in this specter who play both... so surely there must be a connection?
Well there is. If you love strategy games, you will most likely at least have tried both and many other that exist in our world. I for one am this kind of person. I played strategic computer games like Warcraft series, Starcraft series, Age of Empires series, Heroes of Might and Magic series, ect ect. and board games like Chess, Poker, Magic the Gathering, Tarok, Risk, Catan... heck even Monopoly is a strategy game, that I would recon is more similar to Poker than Chess. So is Monopoly a foundation for Poker? Heck no.

So to sum it all up. Yes, while people who play Chess might have easier time adapting to Poker, due to both of them being strategic games, Poker is a stand alone game and should be taken like that. You won't be building up on your Chess knowledge and upgrading it into Poker knowledge (there is where I think you might want to put this foundation word into effect). You will just draw from your real life experience and try to incorporate it into playing the game you play better.
So really, your life and experience is a foundation on which you build everything, not just poker. Don't blind yourself by thinking that being good at one game will always translate to being good in another, even though they might share similarities.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Chess is played without secrecy. Poker is a game of deception and mind manipulation; throw in a little variance for spice and you've got an entirely different set of strategies to chew on.
I think the only other game that can be compared to poker is, perhaps, dominoes. I don't know, that might be closer to Gin or something, now that I think about it. Although you are concealing a hand in both games and are trying to outplay your opponent for points/chips... So maybe.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If you only look at concentration, you can compare all sports to poker.
The fact that there are a few chess players who are also good at poker does not prove that it is because of chess.
But everyone can prove their good game with whatever they want.