Is playing chess a good foundation for poker?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't think that being a Chess Player makes you a better Poker Player, there are similarities in that you need to be Patient in both games and as in Chess you have to outthink your opponent and lay traps for them to fall into, In Poker you can use a similar strategy.
But you need to do that in other games, like 4 in a Row, Chequers, Even Noughts and Crosses, So would being a Chequer Champion make you a good Poker Player? I doubt it.
Personally I think any Game whether it is Solitaire, Sudoku or even Jig Saws teach you to be patient, and if you have that skill, then perhaps you are halfway to being a Poker Player.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
The chess is completly difrent game than poker, no.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that chess and poker are not very similar games... There shouldn't be any big advantage for a chess poker player....

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, playing chess can provide a good foundation for playing poker. While chess and poker are different games with distinct rules and strategies, there are certain skills and mental processes that overlap and can be beneficial in both games. Here are some ways in which playing chess can contribute to success in poker:

1. Strategic Thinking: Both chess and poker require strategic thinking and the ability to plan ahead. Chess players are accustomed to evaluating positions, anticipating opponents' moves, and considering multiple potential outcomes. This strategic mindset can be applied to poker, where players must analyze the situation, assess the strength of their hand, and anticipate their opponents' actions.
  2. Decision-Making: Chess and poker involve making decisions under uncertain conditions. Chess players are accustomed to evaluating different options, calculating risks and rewards, and making informed choices. These decision-making skills can be valuable in poker, where players must weigh the odds, assess probabilities, and make optimal decisions based on incomplete information.
  3. Analytical Skills: Both chess and poker require analytical thinking and the ability to analyze complex positions. Chess players often develop a knack for pattern recognition, evaluating positions, and assessing the strengths and weaknesses of different moves. These analytical skills can be valuable in poker when analyzing opponents' betting patterns, identifying exploitable tendencies, and making informed decisions.
  4. Mental Discipline: Chess and poker both require mental discipline and focus. Chess players are accustomed to thinking deeply, maintaining concentration, and avoiding impulsive moves. These qualities can transfer to poker, where players need to stay focused, avoid distractions, and make rational decisions based on logical reasoning.
While chess can provide a solid foundation for poker, it's important to note that there are also significant differences between the two games. Poker involves elements of uncertainty, psychology, and bluffing, which are not present in chess. Therefore, while chess skills can be advantageous in poker, players also need to learn the specific strategies and nuances of the game.

Overall, playing chess can help develop critical thinking, strategic planning, and decision-making skills that can be applied to poker. However, it's important to gain practical experience and study the specific strategies and dynamics of poker to excel in the game.

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It may help but not be to a chess master will make u a top poker player while both and mind games chess is 0 luck involved only skills. And if ur the best poker player u cant become a chess master it may helps u in other ways

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
yes ...the foundation for patince is very good build

choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yeah I play chess and think it helps with strategy

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
chess and poker are strategy games that require concentration, I see some similarities

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

i do not think so
they are different games altough you have to spend a lot of thinking

lol
rgds

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Honestly, I don't know, I got a whole board, but I don't know how to play

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a game where you also have to think to make decisions [Or not...], I believe so.

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me, I believe that those who have experience playing chess have a solid foundation that can be successfully applied to poker. Chess is a strategic game that requires logical thinking, planning skills, and anticipated the opponent's movements. Just like in chess, in poker it is also necessary to analyze different scenarios, make decisions based on limited information, and anticipate the opponents' moves. The ability to read and interpret behavioral patterns, as well as to predict possible movements, are valuable resources in both games.

ednaroza

ednaroza

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Yes.
I myself play chess. Of course, they are completely different games, but at their basics are very alike - both require strategic thinking, analyzing patterns, and making calculated decisions. Chess helps you learn to plan a few steps ahead which can be advantageous in poker as well. It doesn't guarantee success in poker, but I'd say chess provides a solid foundation for poker.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think those who play chess do have a good base to play poker, because both have to use extrategy and a lot of concentration,
Perhaps it is really so. Obviously, professional chess players will have an advantage, but not so much due to concentration as patience and discipline. But we are talking only about professional players. Amateur players do not have such advantages.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't compare chess to poker. These are two different tactical games. In poker, you can't calculate your move before. You solve problems after another card appears on the table.

MrCryJoker

MrCryJoker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I did not play chess or poker professionally, but in chess I got the title of KMS and after a while left them. I can't say that my chess experience influences the poker game too much, but it definitely helps with some of the nuances.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Yes rational thinking, focus, anticipation, patience, calculations are all attributes for a good chess player.
So whoever has those attributes, has a big chance to be good in poker too

valen.bs.95

valen.bs.95

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think they are two completely different games.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I haven’t played chess before, but now I play chess almost every day, I don’t know what is the reason for such a passion for the game, maybe it’s because I practically don’t play poker

chess is a good foundation not only for poker

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For me luck plays an important role in poker.
Reverse chess.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The big chess versus poker difference.is the luck factor. You can't suck out in chess.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me, since there is no luck factor in chess, they become two different games.
In poker the luck factor breaks any strategy.
There are similar things, concentration, intelligence, discipline, patience, study of the opponent.
Not much more than that.
In chess, luck does not exist, but in poker, it does.
Cheers:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:
So wrong all round, I speak as a former county standard player. There is luck in chess though obviously a lot less than in poker. Many excellent chess players move to poker hoping to clean up. They soon realise this is not the case.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
So wrong all round, I speak as a former county standard player. There is luck in chess though obviously a lot less than in poker. Many excellent chess players move to poker hoping to clean up. They soon realise this is not the case.
In truth, I always make a joke about it.
In chess, if you have to play a final instance against Magnus Carlsen, the only luck you can have is that an hour before he has a fever of 40° or a stomach ache that could be due to surgery. He gives up, you win hahahaha
The only luck factor that could be discussed in chess is that you are lucky that the opponent makes a very bad move, that there will be endless possibilities for you. But in reality this is not luck, but a bad move by your opponent that favored you.
In poker for me the difference is that you don't have just one card on a river that can favor you, and that card appears and you win. That's luck.
Arguably the ultimate example of luck is this wsop 2023 hand currently being played.

Greetings:):):)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think those who play chess do have a good base to play poker, because both have to use extrategy and a lot of concentration,
This is not fundamental, but in general, if a person has learned and knows how to play chess, this indicates at least that he has enough intelligence to learn and play poker.