Phil Galfond - Ask Me Anything!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil will be back next week to answer your questions! :)

P

PhilGalfond

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think of playing A 2 unsuited before the flop. Is it a good hand and should I raise or just check?

Unless you're playing heads up or in a situation where you're getting great odds to defend the big blind, A2o is a weak hand that should usually be folded.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think about
A234 single suit or no suit in omaha hi lo preflop?
Can you put all your money in before the flop and be comfortable?
I feel like its only one way hand(uncounterfietable low) and very low high hand winning chances!

BilNicholson

BilNicholson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loved your youtube videos mate, who do miss playing against online?

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Phil,

Will run it once poker be available to Australian's?

B

Bakariil

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Phil! First of all a big pleasure to have virtual chat with a legend!
What would be your advise for your friend who have some descent expirience online but new to live games if he will be playing his live tournament next week
Thank you and looking forward for launching your poker site.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hey folks the site is life now! I just found out when watching another video of Andreas Froehli. If you can't play yourself already, he's streaming on twitch right now. I'm currently downloading the client and have a first positive feedback. I like the fact, that it downloads a file of 160 MB instead of a small installer, who then afterwards takes a long time to download while installing. Particularily good for people with small bandwith like me (1 Mbit).
https://www.runitonce.eu/download/

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil
I signed up to essentials last month.
A bit disappointed all the PLO8 vids are elite pro only.
80% of my tourny volume is PLO/NL08

M

msufan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil -- congrats on opening day of Run It Up. Do you know anything more than the average Joe about the future of poker legalization in the USA? I have to imagine you took that into consideration throughout the process of creating your site.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil,
How did you like playing on "High Stakes Poker" ? My wife and I loved that show and watched it all the time. I really enjoyed Gabe Kaplan's commentating and analysis of the hands as they developed. He had a few really great jokes, too ! What was your experience like on the show ?

C

CHUVASHMAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why aren't there tournaments in your room?

Many argue that poker is interesting and profitable. But why do professionals leave poker ?

Does poker interfere with the family ?

What kind of poker do you think will be popular after NL Holdem?

Is it possible that you will return to poker ?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bviscaino

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Phil, Phil I loved your videos, i´m a new player you have any thing recomendation to me?? thanks

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats

Congrats on the new addition (assuming he/she has been born since Nov). How are you proceeding with your new business ventures since the DOJ's new interpretation of the Wire Act?

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just feeding back that I won't be renewing to the training site.
I am an amateur winning player who only manages to devote about 10-12 hours a week to poker. Full time job, big family, other hobbies.
The videos on the essentials program are too basic for my needs (although some good revision) and I dont have enough volume to justify pro/elite.
I was also disappointed that essentials only covers holdem and there is no mixed games coverage at all until pro/elite. I play all 8 game.

Would would suit me better is a basic membership with pay per view access so I could focus in purely on the content I want to study.

J

jaydaddy0325

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Favorite tournament

Besides the wsop main. What is your favorite tournament to play and why ? :)

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, everyone! I'm new to CardsChat, but I've long been familiar with your community.

I did an interview based on your questions, which I really enjoyed, a few years ago: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-news-events-63/

I've been a poker pro for 15 years, and have played everything from small stakes online SNGs to high roller MTTs, but my expertise is mostly in high stakes cash games, both online and live.

For the past six years, I've also been trying my hand at some business ventures.

I founded Run It Once Training, which has been the leading poker training site for the overwhelming majority of those six years. More recently, we launched Draftboard, a Daily Fantasy Sports site, and have been working hard on launching Run It Once Poker, an online poker site.

Also launching a baby in December :)

Ask me anything!

Also, I wanted to throw in a Run It Once offer for CardsChat members:

If you're a new user and Sign up for a month of either our Essential plan ($24.99/mo) or our Elite plan ($99.99/mo), you'll get the 2nd month of that plan on us.

To get your free month:
  • Use this Run It Once link
  • Post your Run It Once username in this thread & we’ll credit you with your free 2nd month.
Please feel free to email support@runitonce.com with anything and we'll be happy to help.

I'm looking forward to answering your questions and getting to know you!

Phil what do you think separates your game and other pros from amatures?

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's say you play well and go up three levels within your bankroll management.

How do you deal with being stuck on the level three in this example a lot more-so than level one or two?

Not that you can't beat level three due to talent, but more due to frustration, impatience, higher concentration and longer unfulfilling hours required, also lack of novelty from beginning the journey wearing off.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, everyone! I'm new to CardsChat, but I've long been familiar with your community.

I did an interview based on your questions, which I really enjoyed, a few years ago: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-news-events-63/

I've been a poker pro for 15 years, and have played everything from small stakes online SNGs to high roller MTTs, but my expertise is mostly in high stakes cash games, both online and live.

For the past six years, I've also been trying my hand at some business ventures.

I founded Run It Once Training, which has been the leading poker training site for the overwhelming majority of those six years. More recently, we launched Draftboard, a Daily Fantasy Sports site, and have been working hard on launching Run It Once Poker, an online poker site.

Also launching a baby in December :)

Ask me anything!

Also, I wanted to throw in a Run It Once offer for CardsChat members:

If you're a new user and Sign up for a month of either our Essential plan ($24.99/mo) or our Elite plan ($99.99/mo), you'll get the 2nd month of that plan on us.

To get your free month:
  • Use this Run It Once link
  • Post your Run It Once username in this thread & we’ll credit you with your free 2nd month.
Please feel free to email support@runitonce.com with anything and we'll be happy to help.

I'm looking forward to answering your questions and getting to know you!

Phil, other than poker, what type of business ventures are you involved in?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately Phil is really busy now and doesn't anticipate getting back in this thread any time in the near future.