Phil Galfond - Ask Me Anything!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Runitonce poker site has been running for a little while now (I believe). How are people liking it? I tried early on to join but couldn't find a way to observe tables. I always like to see what I'm getting before jumping in head first.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Runitonce poker site has been running for a little while now (I believe). How are people liking it? I tried early on to join but couldn't find a way to observe tables. I always like to see what I'm getting before jumping in head first.

cash games are anonnymous. So you won't be able to do that.
Anyhow I see many people joining RIO since party poker has become much more unattractive to players.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

cash games are anonnymous. So you won't be able to do that.
Anyhow I see many people joining RIO since party poker has become much more unattractive to players.
Thanks to the folks at Runitonce for sending me some free cash to try out the site.

I didn't really like the client software (beta for Mac).

Had to change my computer's screen resolution since there didn't seem to be a way zoom/increase the size of the poker table. The software seemed a little laggy. The client hung the second time I tried to log in.

Couldn't manually type in bet amounts, which is something I like to do a lot.

I think there were supposed to be avatars but my table didn't display any. I was supposed to be able to select my own avatar, but there were no actual avatars to choose from.

I didn't see any tournaments or sit and go's. Couldn't buy in to the cash tables for anything less than the max. Okay, I know you're not supposed to do that but when you're short on cash that's what you need to do. No way to select which table you want to play. Since this is anonymous presumably that shouldn't matter, but if you're only able to play one table at a time and you don't like the table you're at you would seem to be stuck.

No play money tables so no way to get used to the software other than jumping right in to a cash game. No chat functionality - just a dozen or so canned comments to select from.

Plus, I don't like anonymous play. Where's the fun in that?

Thanks again, but this poker site just isn't for me.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi Phil!!!!
i luv what you've done with Run It Once Poker!!!
i have account, am so so anxious to play... but i just play MTT or Sit n'Go
please please when you have such events?

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Congratulations on your history of 15 years and have made great achievements're an example to follow ... that all your future projects prove much success

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi Phill!!! If I wish my son to be a good poker player, have I call him Phill?

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi Phil i your biggest fan!!!
so wonderful you in community, you seem so nice with so much class, a true role model for poker
i truly wish RIO had MTTs, will you have them soon? i not know why take so long make them, lots of people not like play just ring games?
please please can you explain this...
no a day go by that i not hear from players that online poker sites are rigged
(i never hear such from a player who has won )
could you please say how poker sites maintain honesty of their software & events?

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Phil, when you go through a bad streak, which is the best you can do ?.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil when you get to the MTT launch phase at RIO, please consider that most dont want a ton of small min cash payouts that are barely 1x or even 2x payouts. Maybe consider min cash at 3x and pay less spots.

Best wishes that you will offer what the big sites are afraid to.

Reh1980

Reh1980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil

What do you think of turbos spin gos tournaments and you've played some and strategia use these hugs games.:cool:

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eek. My first very hard question :eek:

Much like there aren't many one-size-fits-all live tells, there aren't many for online either. Interpreting the story of your opponents' betting action throughout the hand, figuring out what hands are more or less likely based on each action, comparing that to what you're used to seeing out of opponents, factoring in bet sizing and timing tells - that's most of the essence of poker.

I could type for weeks and not be able to cover all of it.

What I can offer in terms of quick advice is to always ask "why?"

If he had a big hand, why would he bet the flop and then decide to check the turn on that card? Your opponent has a reason for everything he or she does - your job is to figure those reasons out - and "because he's a fish" doesn't count. Everyone has a reason for every play, whether they know it or not.

By the same token, YOU need a reason for every play you're making. If you're clicking buttons without a goal or a plan, you're not finding the right reasons, and you're sure to be making mistakes. If your reason is "because I have a good hand," try again.

I hope that's at least a little bit helpful.

Thank you for the kind words, by the way!

Wow, having an in-depth explanation on cardschat is a treat especially when it's free! Nice knowing your thought process, and it's like you said: Everybody has a different game that is tailored and works for them specifically.

I honestly feel I've been harping too much on people's journeys on how they were able to break through and amass big bankrolls, but reading this makes me realize I've been looking at it wrong.

It's really more about skill and self awareness.

Honestly, the way that I play, it would probably be better if I focused 100% on my strengths and never on tells. My game isn't built on studying and constructing ranges away from the table and making my 'standard' plays at the table. I like to think through a lot of potential options and how I think my specific opponent might respond with different parts of his range, and doing that to the best of my abilities means maxing out my mental bandwidth on it

It's funny how reading your posts give me confirmation that I'm on the right path. I must be doing something right if I have on to some thought processes as you Phil Galfond

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CTLAW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the poker community is very critical... playing poker at your level has to be mind blowing, I am sure most if not all of your plays have been critiqued. What can you contribute to your ability to stay ahead of the poker curb (IE- being one step ahead of what your opponents are thinking?)

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, Everyone! I'm very hopeful, that Phil Galfond someday want come back
in this thread of CardsChat, or open new... Always pleasure to talk with
the interesting, smart and professional human! The Hope dying last...
Or not dies Never Ever?!.;):):D

rayrc

rayrc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think i need to do an AMA thread (Phil reach 25+ quality posts in 1 day and soon its gonna be in the Freroll Club)

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should I Have Raised 77 in SB?

Hi Phil,
I think you are an excellent communicator and teacher for someone like myself. You explain things so I can understand them. I know you are very busy site right now with your site and the heads up match but if you get a chance, please take a look at the replay below, would love to hear your thoughts. I felt i had made mistakes playing this. thanks in advance.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/3qdtDam

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Phil, do you prefer to play cash games or tournaments more? Which one do you think is best to make more money in the long run?