Phil Galfond - Ask Me Anything!

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Galfond, I'm stuck.
I'm at a place in my game where I feel better than my competition by a large margin, but limited in my process. In not making the best of my knowledge and in that, im finding myself stuck on this plateau.
How do I find the right shots to take, to take my game to the next level?

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
plans

Hello I see the subject is old but can I take advantage of these plans and what do they represent?

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hi Phil,

a belated welcome from me too. I just came across a video, where the guy, a pro from switzerland, calls you for action.
Quick summary in case you're too busy to watch a 6 min video (Don't get me wrong given the situation I'd completely understand that. Congrats to your new famliy member): Why people should not play on Stars (screwing with SNE, high rake, lowest rakeback in the industry), why many still do (best software, mass tabling, big tournaments) and how the competition fails in catching up. At 5:31 he says "On that note, Run it once poker, hurry up. Poker needs a site for the players."

This is a comment I left under the video, which will bring me to a question:
"The only reason I still play there is that their software is the only one, that runs smoothely under linux with WINE. I'm procrastinating getting a licensed Windows or a cheap dedicated machine for months now. Else I would play on other sites already except for the CardsChat freerolls."

So are there any plans or considerations for RIO to be the first poker site to offer a native software for Linux? If not, has compatibility with WINE (or ReactOS) been even a topic (like not using too much of windows libraries) during the development?

P

Pallaton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand Advice

Looking for feed back from a hand. Mistakes?, Each Player?
50NL, 400 BB Effective Deep Stacks (6 handed)
Preflop UTG Straddle to $1, Folds to BTN who opens to $3.50, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG raises to $12, BTN calls, BB folds

Flop ($36.25) 9♣️ 10♠️ J♣️ UTG checks, BTN bets $12, UTG calls

Turn ($60.25) 6♦️ UTG checks, BTN bets $18, UTG calls

River ($96.25) 2♥️ UTG checks, BTN jams $174 All-in, UTG($152 stack) folds.

hands: UTG: A♥️ A♠️ BTN: A♣️ 8♣️

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone,

Phil's wife just had a baby over the holidays so I wanted to let you know that Phil will definitely be back to answer your questions but that it might be a little bit with the new addition to the family as well as the poker site work to be done. Thanks for your understanding.

James

Congratulations !

R

RunItOnce_James

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello I see the subject is old but can I take advantage of these plans and what do they represent?

Hey,

You can still take advantage of the Cardschat deal that we provide. All you have to do is sign up for one month of our Essential or Elite subscription plans, let me know in this thread by providing your username and I'll credit you with a second free month. The Essential plan provides you with access to a video library of over 1,700 videos that focus primarily on lower stakes games whereas the Elite plan gives you access to all of those videos as well as an additional 2,700 videos that are mostly recorded at mid to high stakes games.

James

R

RunItOnce_James

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! Im reading a lot about Coaching Sites or Pokerschools, what do you think about that? Is that ripp off or can you suggest a good one? Im trying to continue to learn more about poker and some visiual trainings (video etc) would help me a little bit. A monthly and fair fine would be okay to me. Thanks in advance

Phil actually has his own poker coaching site at www.runitonce.com that you might want to check out.

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think is the best option to build bankroll and the best plant for study be better?

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think a healthy amount of playing poker is?

ScoobyEdu

ScoobyEdu

How about some fun games?
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good to see this topic!

Hello, Phil Galfond !!!
Good to see this here.
I play poker for a few years, but wanted to study better and be able to play for a team in the beginning of the study.
How these teams?
- how to join:
- how the study:
- which minimum qualification:

Big Hug and success in their endeavors.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil
Chino Rheem won a big tournament recently
Do you have any personal CR stories you can share with us?

R

RunItOnce Nick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So are there any plans or considerations for RIO to be the first poker site to offer a native software for Linux? If not, has compatibility with WINE (or ReactOS) been even a topic (like not using too much of windows libraries) during the development?

Hi @Trillian, I'm sorry I'm no Phil... I am the Content and Community Engagement manager for Run It Once Poker. As far as Linux goes for Run It Once Poker, for development purposes, we do have an internal client supported for Linux. However, we don't have any immediate plans to release it to the public. If this changes I will make a post in this thread and update you.

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Phil, tell me about you in your opinion, who is the best poker player ( cash game ) except me :D and any funny moment or mistake in your play? Thanx in advance :)

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi @Trillian, I'm sorry I'm no Phil... I am the Content and Community Engagement manager for Run It Once Poker. As far as Linux goes for Run It Once Poker, for development purposes, we do have an internal client supported for Linux. However, we don't have any immediate plans to release it to the public. If this changes I will make a post in this thread and update you.

Hey mate, I've got a mail today from RunItOnce that I am selected for Beta Testing but I see that Greece is on the list with Restricted Countries. Do you think Phil will try to get license for other countries or we should abandon hope?:(

Restricted Countries:​
Restricted Countries

Afghanistan, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Colombia, Czech Republic, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany (State of Schleswig-Holstein), Greece, Guyana, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Uganda, United States of America, Vanuatu, Yemen.​

R

RunItOnce Nick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Spaceman,

Currently, we don't have any immediate plans to apply for a Greece licence. If this changes we will make an announcement.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Phil, I only enjoy blah. Have been running really bad recently, do you have a quick fix suggestion, ty Pat

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to ask you something serious.Do you think online poker is rigged or the rng is not good ?I ask you because I have seen so much same hands vs other same hands that happen too often that it is logical too suspect something is wrong,and also other things that I can't explain exactly.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil, what is your take on players taking a substance such as Adderall?

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks for the answer. It would be really great to finally have a site, where Linux players have a native client instead of messing around with WINE or (even worse) Windows in a VM. As I said, AFAIK it would be unique. A true USP so to speak.

I noticed that in Spaceman's list of restricted countries Turkey is missing. Will it be
1. accessible for Turkish residents?
2. accessible for residents of other countries while staying in Turkey (i.e. for business or during vacation)?

AFAIK no licenses are given by the Turkish government but some providers don't care and argue they're located outside (like Malta) and therefor don't fall unter Turkish jurisdiction, so they just don't block Turkish IPs.

R

RunItOnce Nick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the answer. It would be really great to finally have a site, where Linux players have a native client instead of messing around with WINE or (even worse) Windows in a VM. As I said, AFAIK it would be unique. A true USP so to speak.

I noticed that in Spaceman's list of restricted countries Turkey is missing. Will it be
1. accessible for Turkish residents?
2. accessible for residents of other countries while staying in Turkey (i.e. for business or during vacation)?

Hi Trillian, Turkey is not blocked and players who are residents there can play, as well as residents of other allowed countries while located in Turkey

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Its really amazing to see you in here grats and thx for all the help u r giving

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hi Trillian, Turkey is not blocked and players who are residents there can play, as well as residents of other allowed countries while located in Turkey
Wahooo! Just tried to sign up but it seems "I want in!" is just for the newsletter. The invite only page seems to be a login for those, who have an account already. How do I apply for invitation? You sure want to have some feedback from Linux users, don't you?

R

RunItOnce Nick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Trillian,

The sign up is also for receiving an invite. We send out invites to our mailing list before every test. If you send me a pm with your country and email, I'll see if we can send an additional invite.

R

romansq12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi phill, such a question to you, have you ever played GTA San Andreas; d?