Is mental health related to poker performance?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do you think the psychological side interferes with your success in the game?
In my case, no, I don't think so. Although, in general, our psychological state directly affects our game and our results. Our patience and discipline will depend directly on our psychological state. Personally, I always have a positive attitude and take the game simply as entertainment, regardless of my results.

NDRWTRLGC

NDRWTRLGC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
absolutely. it changes day to day as well as overall mental state

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Думаешь, психологическая сторона мешает твоему успеху в игре?
I don't think I know that my psychological state has a huge impact on the game. For example, if you make a mistake once, you can lose a big pot or be eliminated from the tournament. I think if I'm in a state of anxiety, I'd better not play poker at this point. You need to sit down at the table with a cool head and be in the mood for a long intellectual game.

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think poker is a game of psychology more than logic... Understanding and exploiting psychological elements can give you a significant advantage. Also, controlling yours is very important.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think poker is a game of psychology more than logic... Understanding and exploiting psychological elements can give you a significant advantage. Also, controlling yours is very important.
Look, I also believe that, I think that your emotional and psychological state needs to be sharp, as you need to use your mind a lot to get good results.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A player's mental health is definitely related to his performance. Although luck is fickle and can smile even on a psychopath, but nevertheless, if we are talking about the long-term perspective, then I think that calm and balanced players have a better chance of good results than nervous and unbalanced ones :)

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Obviously. Those who struggle with mental difficulties make bad decisions and do not make decisions from the brain, but are driven only by victory, so that they can experience again and again the good (victory) feeling that they have experienced once. Because of this, he makes bad decisions because he only focuses on one thing, winning. And this takes the focus away from concentration and patience. Everyone wants to win, but it doesn't matter how.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes the fear prevents me from playing normally, the fear that this hand will not win, that I may not reach the prizes if I lose with this hand. While playing poker, you don't have to be afraid, you have to act.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very connected. When there is a long downswing, there is a big depression....

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ofc it does if you not feeling okey don't play because it will affect your decisions

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, ZenonBR! I think, this is basic problem for the many players in Poker! But this is only my private opinion...

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Lot's of things can affect how you play, like having an argument with a partner before a game, or other worries on your mind like paying bills or your Mortgage, Sometimes when I am away from Home playing in a Tournament I will call my Wife periodically at break times to let her know 2 things,

1. That I am still in the land of the living, and,
2. Whether I am still in the Game or not.

She is not really interested in the second reason, because she knows I was passionate about the game, and hearing my voice on the phone was enough to confirm the first reason, but she also knows how important it was for me to have her blessing and encouragement.
She has only once, said something bad about me playing Poker and I proved her wrong by Winning the Tournament, and leaving the cash on the coffee table for her to wake up to the next morning.
You have to understand, that Playing Poker for me, is never about the Money, That comes from winning, The important thing for me is being in the Action and playing a game I loved. I consider every buy-in the entry fee to play, just like buying a ticket for the Cinema or Concert, and if I last a couple of hours in a game busting out before the Bubble, So be it, I have had my Fun and it's been a good game. Winning any prize money is great, even if it's min-cash, but Winning it outright is a Bonus!
I used to run Marathons, Never won one, but that didn't stop me trying, and if I could finish in a higher place than my previous best I was elated at doing better. Poker is just the same, I don't care if I win or lose, as long as I can say "I did my best"!

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I believe and consider that mental and spiritual health is essential to be better in all areas of life.
And poker is no exception.
In poker, tilts are the most common, and negative variance relative to bad streaks, is the most common way to see where your mental health is located.
If you are playing, you have a "badbeat" and you say "well, it's part of the game, it makes me angry but I continue because I think my skills will overcome the bad beat" you are on the right path.
But if in the same situation, you break the computer and throw it out the window, then I think you should check your mental health not only for poker but for life itself.
Greetings:):):)

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Absolutely! a good player, with a bad mindset, will not perform well. His emotions will cause him to make bad decisions and not be able to play his A game.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Emotional instability, or mental instability as you call it, leads to sometimes hasty decisions, to erroneous perception of some situations and the results could worsen some conditions. That's why it's good to we seek balance in our lives and reconciliation with yourself. Let's seek to improve ourselves (at least not regress), be positive and enjoy everything that is good for us.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think mental health is related to everything, how could it not be? Poker does seem to attract it's fair share of emotionally unhealthy people to begin with anyway😎👍

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mental health is key to poker performance.

If you are constantly tilting or so unaware that you limp to sitters its going to hurt your results.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
IMO, especially if you play online where the volume is higher than live(you can multi-table and find a lot of games easier), you'll need to work on your poker mental game to avoid making bad decisions because of things that happen at the tables(it's not only when you lose as for example I've seen many people having winning strakes and move up in stakes even though their bankroll didn't allow it and going broke because of it...); there are lots of ways to improve your poker mental game and IMO the best way to start is by reading the books The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and also study the game and have a good understanding of your odds of winning in different spots(for example AKs has 'only' 70% equity preflop vs 72o, so you're supposed to lose around 1 out of 3 times when you're against this trash hand but many decent players I know still expect to win 100% of the time in this kind and/or similar situations...). There's a lot to say on this topic but to make it short, IMO if you have a strong mental poker game you'll be able to make good decisions at the tables and play your A game for longer periods of time and this will result in you having higher chances to make money at the tables* especially long term...

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, it is very important to be able to control your emotions and not tilt, for this you just need to have a stable psyche. Plus, to be able to read your opponent, you need knowledge of psychology.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, mental health is very important in poker because it is a 100% mental game and you must be very focused to achieve your best game at the table.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, that's right, you have to have a positive mind, in order to control your emotions that sometimes make you make bad decisions, patience is also important to achieve success.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Lot's of things can affect how you play, like having an argument with a partner before a game, or other worries on your mind like paying bills or your Mortgage, Sometimes when I am away from Home playing in a Tournament I will call my Wife periodically at break times to let her know 2 things,

1. That I am still in the land of the living, and,
2. Whether I am still in the Game or not.

She is not really interested in the second reason, because she knows I was passionate about the game, and hearing my voice on the phone was enough to confirm the first reason, but she also knows how important it was for me to have her blessing and encouragement.
She has only once, said something bad about me playing Poker and I proved her wrong by Winning the Tournament, and leaving the cash on the coffee table for her to wake up to the next morning.
You have to understand, that Playing Poker for me, is never about the Money, That comes from winning, The important thing for me is being in the Action and playing a game I loved. I consider every buy-in the entry fee to play, just like buying a ticket for the Cinema or Concert, and if I last a couple of hours in a game busting out before the Bubble, So be it, I have had my Fun and it's been a good game. Winning any prize money is great, even if it's min-cash, but Winning it outright is a Bonus!
I used to run Marathons, Never won one, but that didn't stop me trying, and if I could finish in a higher place than my previous best I was elated at doing better. Poker is just the same, I don't care if I win or lose, as long as I can say "I did my best"!
Unfortunately due to some negative experiences in foreign war zones during my military career, I have some mental issues and anxiety. Badmouthing or throwing things at me put me in a bad place. Sometimes I leave to escape it, some times I take medication, often I use alcohol. But I love the game for all the positive attributes, and likewise it's not about the money. I have met many nice people playing poker in general and here at CardsChat and the interaction is usually quite therapeutic!

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Yes of course, psychological factors play an essential role in the game , controlling your emotions ,make good decisions and reading opponents give you an advantage and lead you to success.