Are men superior to women in poker?

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello badia.
Today I was with you at the final table.
Yes and I like too much your play. This thread is not against women like some peaple think! I wrote a compleat thread about Jennifer Harman's skills.. See you on the table.

Reh1980

Reh1980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely the men are higher the numbers say that, at wsop there are only bracelets that men have won some women that stand out as liv boere etc, but not enough to match men.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a typical WSOP open event, only 4% of entrants will be female. and yes there have been winners of a bracelet. Starla Brodie has won the Ladies Event in 1995, making her one of only six women to have won multiple real WSOP gold bracelets. As for the main event it's only a matter of time.

M

M888AX

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that this is true, but with some exceptions.
Women are more sensitive and often make decisions based on feelings. Men make decisions based on logic.
But if you see that the player in front of you plays like a pro, then be on the alert despite who the man or woman is in front of you.

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your post sounds sexist.
When the girls start reading it you might hear from a few of them.
The reason there are so few female finalists at poker is simple.
Odds, there is so few female participants compared to male that the odds are a female will not
be at the final table and will not win a largely male dominated field of players.
It's definitely NOT because men are "better".
Reverse it, put 10 men among 1000 woman and I bet those ten men do not make the final table or win.
I agree, when 99.99% of the field are men it's statistically very difficult for those 0.01% of the women in the field to make it to a final table.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that women play poker as well as men, they just play less than men, that's why they rarely meet at the final tables

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

There are a lot of female genders that win huge poker tournaments.But from 100 people ...95 are men ...so the chances are against in order to win a female.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everybody already said, there are far less women playing poker, so it's very logical there aren't much winning women.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]I believe so, men have the ability to hide when they have a winning hand and women have not yet managed to reach this level, they soon show the nervousness even when bluffing.[/COLOR]​

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's due to a lack of interest.

Success in the game entails nothing more than self-discipline and critical thinking, and I don't think that one sex surpasses the other, in those departments.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In no way do I think that like everything in life regardless of male or female sex, success goes through study and dedication

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Vanessa selbst has 3 bracelets so I don't understand your "not even one female got any bracelet in her life" comment. Maybe you are referring to the main event. Otherwise it makes no sense.

She's almost genderless. Who else you got?

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
No, there's a lot of women that play poker really good. The difference is the number of ladies that play poker compared to men.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not 1 guy in this thread can beat Vanessa,,,,,, Period. (and if you think u can,,,it proves how stupid u are) :star:

S

Space635

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have nerves of steel, and patience at a poker table! Men can control these two strategies better than women.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that generally neither men nor women are superior in poker. Main reason according to me for the much bigger amount of man pro players is the fact that there is a gambling element in poker and men are generally more keen to gamble than women. Moreover women are more emotional and it is more difficult for them to control their emotions. Of course if enough effort is put anybody can become good player no matter if he is man or woman.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly disagree, they're women :)

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cavemen mentality is alive and well in this world

Gimme a break, get into the 21st. century.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I do not think there is a "men-women" matter. Poker is a matter of skills, maths and luck, which do not depend from the genus. The biggest number of men players is because of sosiety and historical reasons.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me preface this first by saying that I believe that the reason we don't see more women at final tables is due to the overwhelming ratio of men to women in a tournament. I will also say that when I see a woman at my table, I, unlike some other male players, will respect that she is likely a good player. I know many women who are uncomfortable sitting at a table with so many men and do not want to deal with the idiots who think they do not have a place at the table. So when I find a woman is at my table, I assume she knows what she is doing until proven otherwise.

But I want to also look at this post from a different angle. I am not saying that one gender has any genetic advantage over the other at the poker table, but perhaps there is a more systemic reason for the lack of what could be more female players at the tables and at final tables.

Perhaps the way we as a society are raising our daughters is part of the issue. I am sure there are many great moms and dads out there that raise strong confident women, but there are many that don't. How many of the tv shows and movies that we grew up watching as children portrayed a female lead as a person to be rescued by the male lead? Could these simple influences of living in male dominated household and being shown to be an inferior gender at such a young age be contributing to lack of confidence needed to be successful or even join a poker table?

I think we have seen progress in these areas and in schools, but we still have a ways to go.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe most women just don't like spending hours at the poker table. Can you imagine yourself for example at the sewing machine for many hours scribbling seams on some things?

S

smk77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that this is true, but with some exceptions.
Women are more sensitive and often make decisions based on feelings. Men make decisions based on logic.
But if you see that the player in front of you plays like a pro, then be on the alert despite who the man or woman is in front of you.

This might even be just as sexist than the OP. Sure women can make decision based on feelings, but you think men don't as well?

You are basically implying that men are smarter and use logical thinking while women might not understand the game thoroughly and just play off their feelings.

As for the OP. The issue with why women aren't winning as many tourneys as men is simple yet very complex at the same time. Simple version is its a numbers game. More men entering, means more men "should" win more. The bigger question I think that should be asked is why there are more men than women playing. That's the complex part and as Floppy just mentioned a systemic reason.

I believe this is becoming better, that's why we see more and more women playing and winning. But there is still a long way to go.

Gender doesn't determine what you can and cannot do.

Women are smart, strong and powerful. Keep crushing it.

M

M888AX

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This might even be just as sexist than the OP. Sure women can make decision based on feelings, but you think men don't as well?

You are basically implying that men are smarter and use logical thinking while women might not understand the game thoroughly and just play off their feelings.

As for the OP. The issue with why women aren't winning as many tourneys as men is simple yet very complex at the same time. Simple version is its a numbers game. More men entering, means more men "should" win more. The bigger question I think that should be asked is why there are more men than women playing. That's the complex part and as Floppy just mentioned a systemic reason.

I believe this is becoming better, that's why we see more and more women playing and winning. But there is still a long way to go.

Gender doesn't determine what you can and cannot do.

Women are smart, strong and powerful. Keep crushing it.

There is no truth in disputes, only self-affirmation.

I stand on my opinion.

The topic of gender inequality is very slippery and I do not want to offend anyone.
I think a more interesting topic is the playing style of players from different countries.

Last edited:
R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its an area in which honesty is sadly lacking. This lack of honesty hurts women the most.

The general theory seems to be that the explanation for any, indeed all, cases of men outperforming women in anything in life can be explained away by the evils of sexism. This is absurd nonsense.

Women have literally never had more opportunities in life today to do what they want than any time in history (this applies to men also).

The problem is victim politics is highly profitable for a minority of people. And a HUGE leak for the fish who get bluffed!