A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Because I am old and also bad at math, I play more by memorizing charts and playing by intuition and experience. It's not a great method but it's still entertaining.
If math doesn't help you much then you have to take advantage of the other skills, there's nothing wrong with that. Nobody thinks they have it all, I think the best combination would be a little bit of everything

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If math doesn't help you much then you have to take advantage of the other skills, there's nothing wrong with that. Nobody thinks they have it all, I think the best combination would be a little bit of everything
I'm just not fast enough to do the math in time especially turbo games I understand the math and I do the shortcuts when I can. I avoid sites that allow analytics but I'll play at GG as I do understand the information. I'm a troglodyte at heart!

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
In my opinion, it's mostly math, because your decisions should be based on the chances your hand has, plus you need to analyze what chances your opponent's range has. your bet puts your opponent in a situation where he has to analyze his chances. It's not like you're threatening him with death or worse. so I think you won't find psychology as such. Unless you are afraid of losing the money you are playing with

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
what do you use more playing poker Mathematics or Psychology?
I will include more playing online, in addition to mathematics to calculate the possibilities, I believe in intuition, psychology, it can be a live tactic and the luck factor also falls very well

78mariusz

78mariusz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitively both. Mathematics helps to estimate the risk of playing with our hand and psychology helps to match the size of the bet to your opponent

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Have noticed on WTP final table. Most of the young to medium aged pros all have degrees or jobs in mathematics, analyses, engineering, bank or financial analyses, physics. There is a reason these people do so well. The real old guys play with guts and intuition, a lifetime of poker playing experience.

E

Easylu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Both are used together, because sometimes you have to take risks and be psychologically aggressive, but when you take risks you must have the possibilities (mathematics) of also being able to win.
But for me it's more about psychology since with that you can win a pot without having anything at all.

ODRAGD3

ODRAGD3

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The only mathematics that is useful in poker is to count outs for and against the rest is psychology with a bet

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online I use the observation and betting method of the opponents and of course inspiration.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think I use my intuition more, follow the bets made by my opponents and decide on the spot

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At high stakes it is heavily weighted towards psychology, like 90/10. When you are playing against the same group of world class opponents each day, it's all about the meta-game, creating a certain image, putting people on tilt, getting invited to the best games etc.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am more of a numbers man. so math is what i base my decisions on.

nejmasni

nejmasni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Psychology.
Doyle Brunson used to say he can play against any players without even looking at his cards. Its all about live reading, poker tells, sizing an oportunity.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
As usual, one and half as important.

Plus the ability to deal with losing with emotion.
That's the hardest part of this game. Not to fall into gambling.

A

anicool

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
both are place in poker strategy. Mathematics can help to have the good move while psychology will bring you to sky

jonasz warzecha

jonasz warzecha

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
need strong head to handle this math

MathMDI

MathMDI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Psychology, I think player analysis is what I use the most lately. But the math part is also very important, but over time you get used to the math part and end up doing it automatically.

Stanley Aguiar

Stanley Aguiar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think the mental issue is stronger in me. But of course, at times, mathematics needs to speak louder. In fact, reconciling the two should be ideal, but I can't do it.

L

Leroydubz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you most definitely have to use both when playing poker, psychology is a bit harder to utilize in online poker though

O

Omaha_53

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Whether you're playing poker or playing life...
value of understanding math < value of understanding people
👍

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to use mathematics. Using psychology can be dangerous. Playing with logic is more interesting and consistent in a long tournament. Psychology should be used sparingly, in a bluff, for example. But mathematics must always be used.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I use both. Both mathematics and psychology are important in a game like poker. But these two factors must complement each other, the game must be balanced and then there is a high probability that you will have consistently good results.