Marriage vs. Poker

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My wife does not like that I play poker. She says that it makes me interact less with the family. I recently stopped playing for 4 months because of this, but I am back playing (only a little though).

Pripri1986

Pripri1986

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Husband is actually appreciative of me playing poker. Went through severe anxiety and depression and poker really gave me a point of focus.

sergui72

sergui72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The wife forbids mentioning poker in front of her, but does not forbid playing)

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What a tremendous combination that duo has to overcome, but speaking well and trying to win you can always get on the right track:D:icon_sant

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'll try to bring a little clarity to the question with a pertinent answer.

Clarification:: There is no such thing as "poker addict". You're not getting the sweats and shivers if you don't play. So, please leave addiction to actual drugs that deserve the entitlement.

1. Should she even be your wife or he your husband if they are bothered by your passion instead of supporting it?

2. You should not play in secret when he/she goes on a trip, you should be HONEST to each other and SUPPORT each other. Go on a trip together, play poker together and do together what each of you like to do, make compromises for each other. Otherwise go your own way because you are not a couple and what you have is merely a bill-splitting friendship.

3. If someone makes you choose between your passion and your relationship with them, there's something wrong with at least one of you. So, call it even and find someone you care about and who cares about you.

3. If you don't have time for a relationship and for giving a damn about that other person go ahead and chase whatever you care about. Remember that your husband or your wife is a person not your property. So stop being entitled and be true to yourself.

4. If you are actually in a tough situation, then COMMUNICATE, complex language is our advantage over other species, so why wouldn't you use it to it's full extent? Frustrations, secrets, go ahead, if you're married, you're a team, speak it out, find solutions together.

5. There are always ways to mediate issues and you don't need help, you need honesty and care. Go ahead, open up.

6. If you actually have a gambling issue and you're losing money for "fun". Just stop playing all together. Poker should not be that, and if it is, it's definitely not a passion and you're doing it wrong. Now, go and enjoy your family.

L

luckyrnmd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker forever, wifes comes and go

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was offered money not to play poker would you?
I thought it was funny I'm retired an have family here an only on certain tourneys I like to play on, an tourney start at 1:00 well with respect I work before an after meals preparing, I was offered 1.00 not to play, its not the money, its the fun an game to win, or skill, Its not interfering like its not my fault they didnt start the grill early lol like I asked them to, There the ones that sat around watching tv.:D

Nice of your family to let you know exactly how much you mean to them. :eek:

HarzZocker1988

HarzZocker1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you always say ... Luck in games, bad luck in love or bad luck in the game, luck in love :)

zoy4749

zoy4749

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it does not threaten me, I am not married and do not intend to

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmmm that would depend on the wife.

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the situation if you are a poker pro and you winning your life with poker i prefer to play poker that marriage

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A life is more valuable than playing poker.

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50/50 - it all depends on the situation and on the mood during these hours))))

Pbrcrew

Pbrcrew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Marriage and poker

Can be very good combination. In my case in my life was good. My girlfriend and later wife was teach me how to play real poker with position and everything. And actually we never had a fight or something bad never in our life when we speak about poker hehehehe. And if course I can beat her always and always. Beacuse its always win by student , teacher never win hehehhe:):)

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone here with coding experience should make a poker dating App lol that way wife would just be into it as much as you are!

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were a poker addict and it was affecting your marriage, would you quit playing poker if it meant not losing your wife?
if you are a poker addict you need help with more than your marriage.
get help first and the marriage will fall back in place.
The wife forbids mentioning poker in front of her, but does not forbid playing)
sounds fair. my unwritten rule is never talking poker to a nonplayer.
I'll try to bring a little clarity to the question with a pertinent answer.

Clarification:: There is no such thing as "poker addict". You're not getting the sweats and shivers if you don't play. So, please leave addiction to actual drugs that deserve the entitlement.

1. Should she even be your wife or he your husband if they are bothered by your passion instead of supporting it?

2. You should not play in secret when he/she goes on a trip, you should be HONEST to each other and SUPPORT each other. Go on a trip together, play poker together and do together what each of you like to do, make compromises for each other. Otherwise go your own way because you are not a couple and what you have is merely a bill-splitting friendship.

3. If someone makes you choose between your passion and your relationship with them, there's something wrong with at least one of you. So, call it even and find someone you care about and who cares about you.

3. If you don't have time for a relationship and for giving a damn about that other person go ahead and chase whatever you care about. Remember that your husband or your wife is a person not your property. So stop being entitled and be true to yourself.

4. If you are actually in a tough situation, then COMMUNICATE, complex language is our advantage over other species, so why wouldn't you use it to it's full extent? Frustrations, secrets, go ahead, if you're married, you're a team, speak it out, find solutions together.

5. There are always ways to mediate issues and you don't need help, you need honesty and care. Go ahead, open up.

6. If you actually have a gambling issue and you're losing money for "fun". Just stop playing all together. Poker should not be that, and if it is, it's definitely not a passion and you're doing it wrong. Now, go and enjoy your family.
#1. there are many many addictions that do not include drugs and gambling is a major one :deal:

#2 if she's on a trip it's nobody's business what he was doing, no need to lie.
#3.1 if poker is your passion and not your wife you may have trouble anyway.
#4 agreed ;)
#6 losing money for fun is not a gambling issue. they call it a recreational player.
without them, there would be no poker.
Nice of your family to let you know exactly how much you mean to them. :eek:
are you suggesting divorce? they only offered $1 ;)
Husband is actually appreciative of me playing poker. Went through severe anxiety and depression and poker really gave me a point of focus.
excellent ;) sorry to hear of your troubles (something in the water these days) but very happy to hear you found a way to deal with it :D stay strong ;)
My wife hates poker. But I convince her to let me play during my metime.
me time is just that. no one's business what you do during it and all humans need it.
maybe they should convince us on the need to go shopping or hang out with the girls.
Marriage is real poker ...
that's a fact brother, life is real poker and marriage is a tough heads-up game.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
after 40 years of marriage my wife is so happy I play poker,that's 10 plus hours a day I'm not in her hair bugging her,since retirement it's one way of keeping me out of her routines :eek:

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is no problem for me. My better half begs me to play, never complains & enjoys my company while doing so. Oh, did I mention that my marriage and significant other is poker.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

I think that poker (in a extended mood: like playing a tournamet for 3/4 hours)
is not compatible with your (mine) wife
No way....

Rgds

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as it doesnt affect daily life my wife doesn;t mind. So i play mostly in the night,.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think being addicted to poker is the problem. Losing money at poker is were the trouble lies. With all the freerolls available online there is no good reason to risk your money or your marriage.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the wife. In my case I'd dump the wife.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been saying this for a decade since I was single and now that I'm married it hasn't changed. There's two possibilities:

1. It's an actual addiction that is harming you and she's right to be concerned. In that case you should quit not because of your marriage but because it's good for you whether you were married or not. Gambling addiction is real, and you should fight it.

2. If it's not an actual addiction, and it's your own money you're risking, whether you're a winning or losing player, you should leave, although you also should have had this discussion before and never gotten married. Even if you would be happier with your wife than playing poker, you won't be happy in a relationship where she wants to control you to that level. This won't be the only area she wants to control you, and giving into this just isn't healthy. You will resent her, and she'll feel like she has the right to control your behavior, which she doesn't.

As I mentioned I had this view before I was married, but now I'm married and my wife is pretty anti-gambling in general. I had a conversation about 6 months after we started dating about it and I said I'm going to gamble and play poker, if that's going to be a problem let's just break up amicably now and save ourselves the trouble, but I promise I'm not going to be irresponsible with my poker or gambling, and I have separate money set aside for it. Luckily she said yes it's fine as long as I don't reach into our shared money and we've been dating for almost 8 years and married for almost 2 now and I couldn't be happier :).

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Family has always been and is always first, and I never had to, nor will I have to choose.