Marriage vs. Poker

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way you have given the question (if you were poker addict) i think the answer is obvious - you will quit your wife not poker. After all you are addict. :D

P

pablo2020

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how much you win in póker.

tonzinho7620

tonzinho7620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can play and have a good harmony with your wife just set goals and schedule for both parties

C

Csharp123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Marriage very poker

An addiction is different from a passion. Anything that your addicted to can cause problems family wise, so it goes without saying.

J

jorgejarapy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that there is no sport or hobby more important than that of a family, the ideal is to talk with your partner and that they know how to understand that you like or do a specific activity well as long as the time is not excessive, that's why first of all a chat with the family is the ideal

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker is just a hobby for you, then it should not have priority over any serious aspect of your life.

But, if you make a living out of poker, then your wife should understand and treat poker like any other life-sustaining job.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were a poker addict and it was affecting your marriage, would you quit playing poker if it meant not losing your wife?

I choose a wife, I don't see the point in changing a loved one to a game, but if you want to be married to a poker game that's your own business

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do dot have any problem with my wife about it. Never had.

D

DeuceParade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are even questioning putting your wife above poker, you have an addiction problem. Poker doesn't love you back, and it will always be there when you are ready.

It's a no-brainer. And if you are posing this question, then you aren't really in love with your wife to begin with. I know that's harsh, but that's the truth.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a girlfriend that loves playing poker and when I do marry her then I won't be facing the marriage vs poker situation as it will be absolutely perfect to me to continue playing for fun and with her. I do understand if i was married to a wife that is against poker then i rather quit poker altogether, love her and spend my full time with her.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd quit anything to save my marriage if it was in trouble (if the request was reasonable). If you are addicted to poker ...then you have a problem and it's not out of line to ask you to cut back or cut it out at all. Would be the same with any addiction. If it is your job then it wouldn't be reasonable to ask you to quit unless you were just bad at your job :D.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As usual, "it depends"...)
You should understand, what is poker for you, and why your partner wouldn't see poker in your family life. Probably you addicted by poker\gambling\games? Or your bride or groom will not allow you to have any hobby if it will poker or not? There is a lot of possible situations, and different variants to solve it, but...
In any case I think that you shouldn't marry if you have such disagreements, before it will be solved in compromise way.

Otherwise you have a huge change to have serious problems in you future life and matrimony. In any case - first few month and, probably, years of your family life - will not solve all your conflicts and problems easy, this month and years will show you and your spouse all of this conflicts and you will get burden to solve it)

In short terms - I would prefer to get timeout, get consensus and after that also get few month timeout, to determine and solve other potential conflicts) Only if you 100% sure that you will be able to solve all this problems together - than you ready to marriage.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If that is a choice, I feel sorry for your wife and family.
If it is stopping you getting married, stay single.
Your family should always be the most important to you.

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Marriage is too tedious and long game, poker is dynamic

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think the best way is to keep your game healthy and not let it affect your marriage more than any other hobby would. Maybe you can even share some passion with your mate.
If however it come to a qzestion of chosing you should be aware of why you a re forced to do that. If the answer is an addiction there is much more wrong with your life that you should get in charge of to save more than just your marriage.
If it s just because your mate doesnt like gambling you should play wizh open cards, tell her about it, make rules about the time and money you spend so she/he feels included and respected with the situation always beeing under control.

YoSoyMarce

YoSoyMarce

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course first the family the poker really can affect your life in many things, you need to control that

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That question is not even sensible ! If you had to come down to a point of deciding on the poker or your wife then you should never have been married in the first place.

G

Gigio22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you make it to wsop you play for how many days you are there and then you come home to nothing? Is it worth losing your wife?

G

Gigio22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you make it to the WSOP you're there for how many days that you are playing. When you do come home you come home to no one. Is it worth losing your wife?

T

TetraTap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure if you win 6 figures or more your wife will not be leaving !

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What if poker is a job?
this does not apply to professionals who have long established themselves in the poker world as successful mid and high limit players and super high rollers
it takes years for a hobby to become a job

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, it brings a lot of problems with the marriage when you start, study and play a thousand hours without profit, I hope, I suppose and I understand that later it does not generate more than enjoyment if you win big prizes nobody cares