Making a new variant out of Texas Hold'em: How would you do it?

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I have made tactical mistake of waiting and thinking of two unique variants. Luckilly no one has wrote them (if my eyes are not mistaken). :)

1. Instead of getting two cards, everyone at a table gets only one card. Then goes initial round of betting and then you get your second card. Then goes second round of betting. The rest is the same....

2. Again, everyone at a table gets only one card (no second hole card). However, the number of community cards is 6. Flop 3, Turn 1 and River 2 cards. You can use every card that gives you best outcome out of 5 cards.

Magical

Magical

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Interesting! With so many new game variants already being explored, lets think about this.

Cards are dealt and the first card from the flop is shown before any action is made.
Cap of max chips then can be put in pre-flop, i.e. 50% of stack subject to having more than 10BB's - simply to prevent people who go all in for 50 bb's from a 2bb raise.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For a long time I have thought that two rules in Texas hold'em don't provide justice :

1. When a player has a pair (example: 55, 66...) and two higher pairs fall on the board and his opponent wins the pot with a high card.

2. When a player has a pair like QQ and his opponent has an over card hand like K4o and a four of a kind falls on the board.

nba2009

nba2009

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
1st rule: I would place that the trio of cards beats a flush and a straigh

2nd rule: the 2 cards that players receive have the option to discard or change only one

It would be called Texas Mix

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing I would change is that the straight would be stronger than the flush.

K

khancerberos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BO
Chips
I would bleed out the deck of cards and remove the number 2 to 5 to make stronger games and the game faster

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Rule change 1. Suits have more meaning. Spaid's are the strongest suit, Diamonds would be 2nd Hearts 3rd and clubs worst. So take a hand where both players have the straight. 8h 6c 5s 3s Kd on the board. Button has 9d 7c and SB has 9c 7h. In our normal game it is a split pot. With my rule the player with the 9d would have the stronger suited card and would win the pot if it was checked down. It also can make betting more fun so say the SB checked and the button bet 1/2 pot but now the SB jams 2x pot. What should the Button do? They have the nut straight but they don't have the nut suite hand. They lose to a player with a 9s but would beat the 9c or 9h. Would make playing hands like this more complex. I actually hate split pots and why I would like this rule and how it would change the game.

Rule change number 2. I would love to see 4 betting rounds post flop. Same poker game but not the flop would be just 2 of the cards not 3. Seeing less cards on the flop would make it harder to play since you have so much less information on hand and with the extra betting round would make the pots much bigger as well.

One of the things i love about the game is how complex this simple game it. Making a deep and more complex game would be fun,

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The first rule that I would probably introduce in tournaments to make the game more exciting would be that players under 10 blinds should have the opportunity to choose if they go ALL IN preflop, to run the board TWICE as in cash games, and the second rule that I would change would be the way to make ''a STRAIGHT''. I would like to introduce that any suite or combination of cards from broadway can make a STRAIGHT with the low value cards in the pack not only as is the rule now when only de ACE could with the combo of A2345. In my mind also KA234 or QKA23 and JQKA2 all this combos should be a straight.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I think it's perfect as it is.

For the purposes of this scenario I would perhaps:

1: Dealt 4 Cards, Discard one at flop and show table
2. Discard one at turn and show table.

Would create some interesting dynamics.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
ok how about this one......there is an ante and there is NO FLOP....the 5 board cards are dealt one by one and the betting begins after the cards are dealt, then the first board card is dealt, followed by a round of betting., then the next card, round of betting and so on. If somebody bets, there would be a maximum of 2 reraises per round, up to pot limit.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You could try changing rules like:
1) If several players go all-in, the cards on the board are laid out several times, there may be a chance to share the pot 50/50, or if three players go all-in, the board is laid out three times, if, for example, 99 won against KK for the first time, then the second board may not have such problems;
2) distribute places among suits, let's say worms are in first place to baptize in second place, let's say K5 will take two dinak cards, let's say K5 only one king of worms has the other king of spades, if the board finds that both divide the pot in half, the one with the higher suit will win.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My suggestion....don't touch anything, holdem is already wonderful, we are the ones who think, we are the ones who make mistakes or get it right. hugs

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call him Holdem WiLo (winer-lost)
2 winners: one winner and the other who is the worst bat-beat and this one who gets 10% of the prize.

hyfl

hyfl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. If two players go all-in and one of them has more than 70% winning change, he wins automatically
2. I would introduce 4-card straight - stronger than single pair, weaker than two pairs

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like the way the rule is.
1. It would give the option to exchange one card from the game without the player having to choose which one to exchange and there would be a limit on exchanges.
2. would give at least 9 players a chance of repechage, this repechage will be between them

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
I would change two rules in Texas Hold'em to create a unique variant:

1. **Community Card Placement**: Instead of placing all five community cards (the flop, turn, and river) face-up on the table, I would place them face-down. Players would still have access to these cards, as players make bets and actions, some of these community cards may be revealed gradually. For example, if a player makes a significant bet, they might choose to reveal one of the face-down community cards to everyone. This adds an element of unpredictability and strategy🙈🙈🙈

2. **Blind Reveals**: At the start of each hand, each player would reveal one of their hole cards to their immediate left-hand neighbor. This would add an element of strategy and intrigue, as players would have partial information about their neighbor's hand and could adjust their own strategies accordingly.

The new variant, let's call it "Mystery Card Hold'em"? 🤣

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Imagine that you have entered a competition to see who can create the most unique new poker variant by changing only two rules in Texas Hold'em. Which changes would you make and how would your new game be played?

View attachment 341229
1 - There would be no more draw.
I would use a suit strength scheme to break ties.

2 - Every hand you will have the right to speculate on your opponent's hand, if you get it right, you will win double the pot.
The chips will go to the loser of the hand.
2.1- Only those who win the hand in the traditional way will be able to double the pot by speculating on their opponent's hand. However, the opinion will have to be presented before the showdown.

I hope I was clear lol

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Although it's not good to change rules of an already well-established and popular games, if I had to choose to alter two rule to make it more interesting I would:

1. I would only allow raises and re-raises preflop. So, up to 3bets preflop, no 4bet+ stuff.

2. I would throw away the 6-max format and replace it with 5-max and 7-max formats. I would keep the full ring format.

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
The flop would consist of six cards and be 3 blinds.A small blind, a medium blind and a large blind.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
1. each round, equalize the stacks at the table in a proportional ratio so that there are no large discrepancies, similar to the GG at the final table

2. return a certain number of chips for a bad beat

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Bluffs could become more important in the game.

On the one hand, if someone calls a bluff, risking their tournament life but not holding the nuts.

On the other hand, whoever pulls off a bluff with nothing in hand and risks his tournament life in the process.

This applies to any game situation in which there are only two players at the table and one of them...

a) ...calls a bluff + risks his tournament life + not but holds the nuts

b) ...survives a bluff + risks his tournament life + plays five highest cards

It's probably not fully thought out. These are situations that do not occur very often and could therefore be honored accordingly and for the reason that tournament life is at stake in every game situation (a, b). (e.g. through a big blind that is paid by the other player)

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
In my opinion texas Holdem doesnt need new rules but in case i would change
this things:

1.) not only 5 community cards on board - flop 3 cards - turn 2 cards - river 1 card
2.)at river you can change 1 hole card

i think this would be very interesting :)

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would deal three cards per player and only four on the table

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would bleed out the deck of cards and remove the number 2 to 5 to make stronger games and the game faster
Surely this is just short deck?

The only rule change I would like to see is no rake charged in split pots. I find it annoying losing money with the best hand, happened twice recently AA v AA preflop then AKs v AKs both times losing 4 or 5bbs. I guess not really a rule change, just something that would be nice!

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Wow 🤩 this is a great topic. I have many idea for example;

Game number 1 Texas hold ‘em wild
How to play

1. Simple just add a extra card.
2, that card can be anything you want..

Game number 2 Texas hold ‘em show me

How to play

1. Every player gets one special chip
2. Can see only one of opponents hold cards you chose .only one chip for session.
Or you have a time until you get back the chip or it could be every 3 levels. .

Game number 3 Texas hold ‘em destroy.

How to play

1. Each player gets one special chip
2. Can destroy one of opponents hold cards only one chip for the entire session.or every 3 levels you get back the chip but only one at a time no stacking.

I have more but that’s it for now what do you think 🤔.

Last edited: