Making a new variant out of Texas Hold'em: How would you do it?

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Changes would be the minimal, in reality only one, whoever is absent for more than 5 minutes will be excluded, what happens that some players assemble a number of chips and then are absent, the game is to be played, I consider this as bad player, but strategy is strategy. Although I'm not a fan of the river, I always end up losing, maybe I would eliminate the river

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. The anti Joe Cada rule: if the 20/80 or worse underdog wins an all in pre flop, it's a split pot

2. The Splitting inherance rule: 2 players that have the same hand (e.g. AhAd x AsAc) and go all in, can decide between them to split the pot before the flop

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, I would make this 2 rules:
1. Add the joker option to allow making hands with one of them (it would count as any card to fill the hand, for example: Getting A+Joker could give you pocket aces)
2. Not allowing ties: When a tie is gotten at the river, a new card is shown, and repeats until someone gets the bigger hand.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No Flush Hold'em. Just Hold'm but flushes are worthless.

Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Ok, this was a great question. I could think in other rules, but here we go:

- 1st Rule → Cards Discard Rule

At your first time speaking in the game (pre-flop), you will be able to discard one of your own cards and buy another card on the top of the deck.

But there's is a condition: you need to double the biggest bet of the table.

Examples:

+ If you are in UTG, you will be forced to play and to raise the game to 2bb.
+ If you are in CO and HJ raised to 3bb you will need to pay 6bb.
+ If UTG+1 raised to 2.5bb, BTN 3-bet to 9bb and you are in SB, you need to raise to 18bb.

Of course, everybody will know that you changed one of your cards, and this means that, now, you have a large range than you had before taking this action.

- 2nd Rule → Cards Trade Rule

Now you can trade one of your cards with your opponent at the end of bets on pre-flop (flop will be only shown after this).

You can do this just one time and with one single player.

This is a new way to bluff against your opponent, because you will only see the card after he gives it to you.

You need to talk and try to convince him to give you the correct card, this is a good way to let you form more synergistic hands.

Obviously, he will not give you what are you looking for, so you need to made he thinks that he is giving the wrong card to you.

For example:

- Imagine that you are with an A8 and Villain is with K8. If the trade hapens, you can be with an AK, with an 88 or you can still with your A8 (if you traded your 8 with his 8). It depends how you talked with him and which card he decided that was better to give to you. Also, is interesting to notice that, if both traded your 8s, you will know that both of you are with, at least, one 8 at the hand.

This is just a bad example to explains how this rule could change the game strategy.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these crazy rules that I thought right now.

Last edited:
hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i have thought about 2 changes.

1. No river holdem. Play normal holdem but have only a 4 card board.., hence no one can complain about being rivered, lol.

2. If at showdown 3 pair beats 3 of a kind.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I would make it raise or fold,.... no limping, no checking, raise or fold!,

....heck no min betting either just cuz I don't like it 😉👍

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I would like something new, but now there are so many options that it's hard to come up with something new, but it would be interesting to play poker with only one card instead of two or more

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
1. The flop is only 2 cards not 3 and the turn is 2 cards not 1 (the river is still 1 card).
2. All players still in the hand receive 1 card after the betting round on the flop but before the turn is revealed (so all players have 3 hole cards), then all players still in the hand after the betting round on the turn must discard 1 card before the river is shown (so all players now are back to 2 hole cards again), the river is played normally.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
All rules as usually by Texas Hold 'Em....but.....
1. each player have two cards, one is hide and one everyone can see....and
2. at the end of hand each player MUST USE AT LEAST ONE of his/hers pocket cards.
Name? We say: OPEN TEXAS HOLD'EM.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
1 . If the flop hits :as4::6s4:or:ah4::6h4::ac4::6c4:This means all players are playing at the table..As a result, losing players bet double the pot.Believe me, the bank would have increased tenfold
2. Playing dark without opening your hand.You have the right to open your hand Only after the flop.Just like in the first option, the losers bet a double pot
In short, this is a very similar rule to the game Snoring.

From 10 cents in the bank can reach up to 1,000 dollars by the end of the game

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Gosh, looks like a lot of my answers have been taken.
Do wish some of these variants would actually happen.

Two other fun variants would be:
1. All in all the time. Get your two cards, all in or fold and run the cards. Now the game could be done pretty damn quick. LOL.
2. Get your 2 cards and be able to discard and replace 1 of them. But if you do, you have to play the hand. So your 72 became a 73...lol. Just my luck.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
1st change : only flop , no turn or river

2nd change : 2 options on the flop : all in or fold
(preflop we would have betting round , you could also go all in without seeing the flop )

As simpler as possible .
No hard decisions , no big sweat , not so much skill or bluffs or whatever
Just luck and easy decisions (most of the times )

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe they've already done this... It's called Omaha. :p Anyone? Anyone? Well I thought it was funny...

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
"Hello everyone. I wouldn't change anything about the main rules. The only thing I would change is the time bank for thinking. I would leave it at 10 seconds with no additional time, so if you don't have time to calculate outs or bank odds, practice before sitting down at the table. Some people use the time bank as a strategy, but playing with different hands on the preflop should remain, as it will reduce pushing and allow players to play their hands more."

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I would keep the changes subtle so the game would remain recognizable.

Rule change 1) If you've got Red you're already Ahead
This would apply to situations where two or more players have the same hand (say AT) and the pot is going to be split. In this case the player who holds the most high ranking red card (ace of hearts or diamonds) OR if the player has ten of hearts/diamonds, and the others have only clubs or spades, the player holding the red will win.

Rule change 2) Everybody Loves the Underdog
This change would put the term 'counterfeited pair' into history. Example: the board is 88 JJ K and you are holding 22. Your opponent has A5. Normally the player holding the ace always wins which might be hard to grasp for new players. But with this rule change the ace becomes meaningless. If the two pairs on the board is the best you've got your ace will always lose to the player holding a pair.
this is unique, i love it!

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think I have a variant too :

Same as Holdem till the turn is shown.

1st change : The 1st player to act, and only him, can replace the turn card with one of his hole cards if he chooses to, then round of betting.

2nd change : On the river, the minimum bet is pot.

Suggested name : RiverPot Hold'em.

Baurzhan11

Baurzhan11

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would add in tournaments only tournaments bonus chips to the loser with a flush or it happens that a person lost with a full house against a square so that in such a situation it would not be offensive but bonus chips would be given once that is, a chance of losing

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hi Dears :)
Thanks for making me to use my imagination xD So..short and revolutinize:

1. First of all - Value of Aces. No value "1" Straight only with KQJ10. You will never see Ases with blots winning...
2. 6th card on the table (after RIVA). It will be called:kow Last Chance Card (additiional to run it twice, more nuts variances, more emotions, more chips in stuck after Riva and after Last Chance Card - and it will be named: Magik's Poker

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I would add in tournaments only tournaments bonus chips to the loser with a flush or it happens that a person lost with a full house against a square so that in such a situation it would not be offensive but bonus chips would be given once that is, a chance of losing
i was eliminated having fullhouse today ;( in turnament Bad Beat

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In my creative poker laboratory, I'd introduce two game-changing rules:
Limited Position Switch: In traditional Texas Hold'em, players are seated in fixed positions relative to the dealer button. In this variant, players can switch their seats clockwise or counterclockwise once per round, just before the flop is dealt. This adds a strategic element by allowing players to change their table dynamics and adapt to different opponents.
Community Burn Card: Instead of burning one card before dealing the flop, one community card is burned and placed face down in the center of the table. After the river card is revealed, this burned card is turned face up and becomes a community card that all players can use to form their best hand. This rule introduces an element of surprise and more potential winning combinations.
With these changes, the game remains rooted in Texas Hold'em while adding a touch of strategy and excitement.

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would create two rules:
1: Every player sitting at the table can see one card from 3 opponents in pre-flop
2: Since the first rule would be applied, I would eliminate the all-in entry in the pre-flop and the raises would be limited in each round of betting, doubling each round, making the luck factor not as effective throughout the tournament , and whoever dedicates themselves to the game, studying and so on wins...

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you see three cards yourself, and the fourth card is seen by your opponents:LOL: and prohibit limping before the turn

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
<3 This seems easy but after reading everyone's responses it became hard to come up with something good :p

How about <3 one blind hole card. You can pick which one and it is only turned over at the end of the hand. Plus lets make the betting backwards, button goes first.

Honestly, this variant might make me cry a little ;P but woohoo ten more CHIPPIES :p Ty CC <3