Making a new variant out of Texas Hold'em: How would you do it?

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I have read with interest all your suggestions on changing the rules of hold'em. My suggestions are as follows:
1. If you have a flush, you must call on all the remaining rounds. If you went with a check during the flush and it will be revealed on the river - the whole pot you won is given to the opponent, or divided equally between the rivals. As a penalty, you are supposed to skip the next hand.
2. If the players went all-in on the preflop, then the losing side loses all its chips regardless of their number.

Antonioadv

Antonioadv

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Imagine that you have entered a competition to see who can create the most unique new poker variant by changing only two rules in Texas Hold'em. Which changes would you make and how would your new game be played?

View attachment 341229
The rules of Texas hold'em are great, but some are difficult to understand for beginners and even those who have been playing for a while. I would change one thing, I would classify the suits of the cards, so that one suit is stronger than another.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I think Holdem is perfect as it is. Although I like shorstack holdem very much ..

But let's see.
I'll call it conditional No Limit.

Preflop normal betting action , on flop no 3bet action allowed , thats the first change.

Turn action stays the same
River . Allin is only possible when there was action from the player all rounds preflop, flop and turn

Don't think it'll be popular but that's what I just came up with 🤣

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
3-card holdem. You receive 3 cards, but for the showdown you only use two. Like, you can have AAA but your hand is aces pair, only make a set if you hit another A on the board. You can pay the streets for something like a pair, and hit a straight/flush runner. The last rule is showdown all cards after the hand end. If you bluff, you need to show, if you win too. When the villain gives up, you need to show your hand.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
rule 1 ; deals 3 cards for players and before the First betting round the floop players could chose only 2 cards and let one
rule 2 ; all players must show there cards after the river whene turns ends

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would keep the changes subtle so the game would remain recognizable.

Rule change 1) If you've got Red you're already Ahead
This would apply to situations where two or more players have the same hand (say AT) and the pot is going to be split. In this case the player who holds the most high ranking red card (ace of hearts or diamonds) OR if the player has ten of hearts/diamonds, and the others have only clubs or spades, the player holding the red will win.

Rule change 2) Everybody Loves the Underdog
This change would put the term 'counterfeited pair' into history. Example: the board is 88 JJ K and you are holding 22. Your opponent has A5. Normally the player holding the ace always wins which might be hard to grasp for new players. But with this rule change the ace becomes meaningless. If the two pairs on the board is the best you've got your ace will always lose to the player holding a pair.
3 pairs win!!! :) I like it!!

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
we are used to playing holdem where the stronger and better hand wins, but it would be interesting to play poker where the smaller and worthless hand wins

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If I had to change something on the variant I like most (NL Holdem) I probably would change the following as it would make the game even more hard to solve:

- allow straights over the Ace e.g. QKA23, these straights should be worth less than AKQJT straight, means the less small cards (2,3,4,) the better
- add a fifth colour e.g. „circle“ so that we have a deck with 13 additional cards, which brings not only more outs but even a new hand „five of a kind“ which should be comparable with a royal flush ( did not calculate yet). This would decrease chances on flushes for sure.

But to be honest, I really like the rules we are using for dozens of years :)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All the rule changes have been thought up before me, so I would just make two simple changes to Texas Holdem:

1. Any card I get beats any other card, so it always wins. 😁
2. The second change would be :unsure: ... this is no longer necessary. 😛

But that would make the game boring pretty quickly. 😏

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I'd name the new variant Action Hold'em and I'd keep pretty much all the rules from Texas Hold'em and just 'play' a bit with the rules and make this 2 changes:

1. deal the 5 community cards one at a time and have 5 streets of betting(1 after each card is dealt)
2. you have to use both hole cards to make your best hand* so your 2 cards + 3 from the board...

Have a great weekend everyone :)

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
3 cards in hand 4 in flop 1 turn 1 river more chances of getting better hands post flop

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I love variants of all kinds.
I could suggest many variations.
my 2 would be
1) lowest game wins. A 2 high beats any other card. so on showdown the player with lets say a pair 2 wins over any other pair or lowest str8 or flush and so on...
2) a player is dealt 4 hole cards, 1 card for a flop, 1 turn and 1 river. make your game with any 5 out of the 7 cards.

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I would split everyone's stack into 4 so you would only lose 25% of chips everytime you go all in. No other changes needed.

if you won 40k pot that would increase each of your 4 stacks by 10k. So all 4 stacks would remain equal at all times.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I wonder if this thread has a purpose, if anything will change and where? Is something new being prepared for us?🤔

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't imagine any change in Holdem, I think it's so perfect and that's what I love most about poker. I'm sorry but I wouldn't make any changes.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would add five more common cards to make sure everyone stays in and lose their money in less hands so we can move to another hobby without spending a lot of time on poker.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Montana Holdem

The board is reversed...

Preflop betting with your two hold cards.

Then the reverse board....

One card on the flop
Betting
One card on the turn
Betting
Three cards on the "river"
Betting

And of course I win because I'm the only one that understands what's going on...hee hee

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know - I wouldn't change anything, the Holden itself is perfect, for me it's very good as it is today.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Imagine that you have entered a competition to see who can create the most unique new poker variant by changing only two rules in Texas Hold'em. Which changes would you make and how would your new game be played?

I'd Alter the rule making 5 card flush beatable by a 6 card flush even if the 5 card flush has the higher ranked card without affecting any other hierarchy.
I'd Alter the rule making 5 card straight beatable by a 6 card straight (including straight flush ranking) even if the 5 card straight has the higher ranked straight without affecting any other hierarchy.

Should be fun :)

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I'd Alter the rule making 5 card flush beatable by a 6 card flush even if the 5 card flush has the higher ranked card without affecting any other hierarchy.
I'd Alter the rule making 5 card straight beatable by a 6 card straight (including straight flush ranking) even if the 5 card straight has the higher ranked straight without affecting any other hierarchy.

Should be fun :)
something to give the underdog additional winning outs

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I would keep the same standard format and rules of Texas hold em as much as possible.

2 changes i would implement.

Name: Hold em re Draw

1. each player would be allocated a set amount of re draw chips.

hold cards and the flop would be dealt as normal.

2. With the opportunity of using a re draw chip to burn one card and re draw one from the deck.

Before the betting round after the flop has been dealt.

Then the game would procced as normal.
this can be thing, i like where your head is at!

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I wouldn't change anything. They perfectly comply with the current rules.

Tanamita

Tanamita

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I used to think about this question. As soon as I started playing, I didn't know about the existence of many types of poker, and the idea of 4 card poker came to me, and what was my disappointment that this type already exists, after that I found out that there are other types of poker, so now I can't even think of anything new

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
well, nothing needs to be said for now, the poker variant of hold'em is perfect thanks to the person or group of people who invented it

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It seems to me that there are already so many variants of this game that if I came up with some new variant, it would turn out that it already exists. But I would be interested if every aggressor who raised preflop had to move all-in on the river, no matter how the table situation turned out. Actually, I'm not good with imagination, and I prefer to play classic poker. Sorry if my answer is not complete.