Letting the Timer Run (Stalling)

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well during online play pace is fast enough so i don't think that 10 seconds more or less will dramatically change anything. During live game people usually think 30 seconds per person or more during each hand and nobody complains. Waiting some seconds before playing can also be part of people's strategy to hide the strength/weakness of their hand. I personally try to respond in the first few seconds but as long as it is within rules using the full 10 seconds by players is not a problem for me.

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tanking is why live poker tournaments are making them invite only
because online players feel the need to tank every hand and waste peoples time makes poker unenjoyable

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...time bankin..part of the game,could be used to try to tilt players,slow down a table bully.maybe hide hand strength...thanks darrell

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know that person playing on the Brovada triple up tables, with the big stack, on the bubble, who is tanking every single hand and then folds? That player is me! :evil:

I do this each and every time I can. I do this so the blinds eat up every single chip in your tiny, little, short stack, and guess what.....

Now I just cashed for 3x my buy in, and you blinded out on the bubble. I didn't even put my stack at risk to win.

Sounds like a solid plan to me!
:evil::evil::evil:

:evil:Zer0:evil:

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idiots who let the timer run show be banned from all rooms! Wasting other people's time is rather jerkish! Grow up people and PLAY THE GAME!

I wish they would shorten the disconnect feature.. Can't stand waiting 1:30 just to see sitting out. Or even worse when they come back connected after a minute then go back through the process again

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know that person playing on the Brovada triple up tables, with the big stack, on the bubble, who is tanking every single hand and then folds? That player is me! :evil:

I do this each and every time I can. I do this so the blinds eat up every single chip in your tiny, little, short stack, and guess what.....

Now I just cashed for 3x my buy in, and you blinded out on the bubble. I didn't even put my stack at risk to win.

Sounds like a solid plan to me!
:evil::evil:

That's whats up Bro, do you. You know you could be playing.. and felting players but whatever works. You got the min. cash!! woo hoo

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idiots who let the timer run show be banned from all rooms! Wasting other people's time is rather jerkish! Grow up people and PLAY THE GAME!
I totally agree with you; because of such a players a tournament last for more than 5-6 hours sometimes.I think a good solution would be to reduce the extra time gave by the poker platforms to do a move.

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's whats up Bro, do you. You know you could be playing.. and felting players but whatever works. You got the min. cash!! woo hoo
Um.... I am getting the highest possible payout in a triple up SnG, and I am doing pretty good at building my bankroll by doing so. But I guess you are also right in that I am getting the, "min. cash" by doing this. Oh my what a conundrum... Is it the highest or the lowest pay out I win when I play a one table triple up SnG like that?

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Um.... I am getting the highest possible payout in a triple up SnG, and I am doing pretty good at building my bankroll by doing so. But I guess you are also right in that I am getting the, "min. cash" by doing this. Oh my what a conundrum... Is it the highest or the lowest pay out I win when I play a one table triple up SnG like that?

No idea what a one table triple up SnG is?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I play Cash and big series events like MOSS events and OSS

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think using you time bank is part of the rules so you should be allowed to do it however you like. There are many times using all of my time bank to make decisions has caused me to get into the money in a tournament. The best thing you can do in this situation is to do the same thing. If someone is stalling at the other table then you can do the same thing and sort of ''wash out'' any benefit they are getting by stalling.

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No idea what a one table triple up SnG is?
You do know what a Sit n Go is right? Well a triple up is version of the sit n go where in n9ne players buy in for the same amount. These n9ne players all play until three players are left. Those remaining three players all split the prize pool evenly. 1st place wins 3x the original buy in, as does 2nd and 3rd. Hence, the conundrum.

:evil:Zer0:evil

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do know what a Sit n Go is right? Well a triple up is version of the sit n go where in n9ne players buy in for the same amount. These n9ne players all play until three players are left. Those remaining three players all split the prize pool evenly. 1st place wins 3x the original buy in, as does 2nd and 3rd. Hence, the conundrum.

:evil:Zer0:evil

Oh, so it's basically like a satellite (per say) same strategy. Never heard of that. Your original comment makes more sense now. I was thinking you were doing that in a MTT that's why I made my comment.

Pocketks21

Pocketks21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbos and hypers yeah definately it does but that's a strat for some people. But I do it sometimes when I double a stack in those which blinds do affect the other player.

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see that every time in tournaments they be doing it for no reason just to stall time i don't get it.

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, so it's basically like a satellite (per say) same strategy. Never heard of that. Your original comment makes more sense now. I was thinking you were doing that in a MTT that's why I made my comment.
:beer:

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do it on purpose and then fold, knowing you are folding anyway makes me angry

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely use the timer to make others wait. The only time I have used it several times in a row in a game was when I was near the bubble in a tournamnet. I was trying to stay long enough to get in the money because I knew my chances opf getting too much furhter were getting slim. My concern has been that when I click my choice to go in or fold in advance so that when it gets to my spot the decision is made immediately, am I sending a message top others. Then I wonder if I should make them wait.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That makes me want to find you and do it every time. There are limits placed for that reason.

I only take that attitude in poker rooms because in poker you need patience and you entertain me by exhibiting none.:D

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Every player is entitled to use their entire time allotment every street on every hand.

There is no 10-minute tanking in online poker!

But in tournaments taking up time slows the game - reduces the number of hands seen per level and in some circumstances forces the shortstacks to make mistakes.

In general there is no reason for me to play a fast game. Let me see what my cards are...let me see what the table's stack sizes are....let me think of a number based on the big blind.

Good luck !

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am playing mostly free-rolls and micro games. So most of the time I can see why people would stall. Because we have small bankrolls and surviving a bubble can be important. But sometimes it also happens when you are almost at a final table or close to the bubble and there is already hand for hand. Then I get really annoyed by it.

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When I started Holdem a few years ago - and I was close to cashing, I would use my timer to bottom line, cash. Later I read it's considered a bit looked down upon.

But anymore, if I have the timer, and I can use it and it's part of the game rules allotted - I will use the timer to my advantage- and as I write this sentence, I just realized a potential justification for using time to ones advantage and that is... Equally when I do a snap call, I WANT that other player to know, I didn't think about it - I wanted to use a SHORT time allotment to my advantage to 'fool' them.

So the question is, using timer for strategy in a SINGLE hand ? as in real short time calls? I think that is used all the time and respected. I hear you on it costs everyone time, but at the end of the day - as Doyle Brunson says 'When I sit down to play poker with friends, sure, we are all friends but as soon as the game starts I am out to destroy every single one of them'. Ok, so I didn't have a point to build on Doyle there, BUT, I meant to inherit from that sentiment that - you have to look out for YOU, and no one else, and if the timer can be used to your advantage? I say go for it. Plus you can only run it down once.

I truly can see the POV though that people who let timers run down to 'just cash' near the end of a tournament? might be using that timer in a way that isn't part of normal poker strategy.

Also, I do realize - and this is what I used to say when I didn't support running a timer out - which is - come on, if everyone does this, all it does is extend the entire tournament play to no ones advantage.

Eh - I GUESS I'll settle on, in general? I don't want to bring deficit to the game, or the other players as to time, as time is limited in this life, Moody Blues has that song 22,000 days, the average lifetime length, so time IS valuable indeed.

But enter Phil Hellmuth ranting about people who join tournaments late so they don't have to waste 2 more hours sitting at some table?

I guess it's all about time management as WELL as bank roll management.

YIKES, I'm not sure if I said anything at all in the end here ! But I think I did :)

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definetly would agree, but it depends on the play.

Being close to the Bubble, or not staked, I would always try to be slower.

Not by ruining the game through doing it, but sure slower at moving.

iriska

iriska

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you play a few tables, you do not have time to react quickly and it's very good that there is additional time for an answer.