KQ or 10 10?

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would go for QK not even a question, if the Q or K comes he only has 2 outs, unless he flops a backdoor straight/flush? 1010 would suck againts QK in a flip would rather be againts a9 etc.

So its QK for me all day long

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have better luck with 1010, but KQ can easily beat 1010 on many occasions.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would go for QK not even a question, if the Q or K comes he only has 2 outs, unless he flops a backdoor straight/flush?
just to make sure you understand how preflop equity works in an all--in preflop situation: it covers all possible hand combinations by the river. so, no need to think 'unless 1010 flops a backdoor straight or flush draw', it's already factored in.

it also wins more (~3.5 - 7%) often than kq, so it doesn't need to worry about it's '2 outs' if kq pairs. kq has to wonder how it's going to make up for being a 46.5% underdog. ....it can't and will always be the long term loser in this situation.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not agree. I choose TT without hesitation. In my opinion, a ready-made pair on hand always has an advantage.
Yeah like 3% advantage, but with TT you drawing dead to JJ or QQ, and with KQ you are not. Well in such situation it does not seem like much of a difference, but if you widen the gap say AK vs 22 then it becomes mroe important.
So what is beter to have 3% advantage or the advantage of not drawing dead to higher pocket pair ...

V

Vinao182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer a pair of 10s , but actually you can play this in icmizer and see the equity , but with a pair of 10s , with 15 bb or so I shove , and with KQ , I'm going to call in slow play . Equilab gives 57% equity 10 10 vs KQ 43% pre flop

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah like 3% advantage, but with TT you drawing dead to JJ or QQ, and with KQ you are not. Well in such situation it does not seem like much of a difference, but if you widen the gap say AK vs 22 then it becomes mroe important.
So what is beter to have 3% advantage or the advantage of not drawing dead to higher pocket pair ...
while true that kq has more equity against jj+ and 1010 has less, this is just terrible thinking. you might as well not play jj because you could be up against qq+, fold qq because you might run into kk+. better fold aa because a small pair might hit a set and bust you. you both have 2 outs, same chance to hit that 3rd card.

see what i'm saying? nit picking hands that you'll be behind and/or lose against (more often) is easy. thats why everything is looked at vs a range of hands. how does the hand hold up against a range of hands. yes, jj+ is a range of hands, but if you're playing someone that nitty, you don't want to play eitehr 1010 or kq against them at all.

speaking of ranges, add ak to jj+ and 1010 has better equity.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinion

Despite my preference for Broadway cards, I have always considered any made hand to be better than ghostly prospects for top pair or better.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't find pocket 10s that strong in my opinion, unless the board is really perfect, which is rarely the case. KQ comes on the board more often, so I would rather prefer this hand than the poket pair

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
KQ is stronger than the 10 10, they will almost always go ahead. Since about 10 10 you will be cautious if you see one of these cards on the board and the villain is paying bets. The most sensible thing would be to pass the river and fold to any bet. vs regular.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely 10 10 because you already have something of value in your hands so I get this fantastic pair of 10.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if kq is your favorite hand, play it. but the logic in some of these replies...i don't know. it is a bit concerning what some of the reasoning is for picking kq > 1010, but i guess it's also a learning experience. heck, if someone can give a legitimate reason for playing kq here, i'll learn from it. i'm open to better understand.

as far as i'm reading, some are just way off. my favorite is 'kq because it has 6 outs compared to 1010 having only 2 outs'.

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if it's suited. If KQ isn't suited then even though it's still essentially a flip pocket pair vs 2 overs, it doesn't feel like it has any potential to make a strong hand, and if you miss the K or Q on the flop, then you're essentially dead.

L

liviuplayspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ(s) is better in multi way Pots but 10 10 are a slice favourite

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both hands are good to play

Both hands are good. If I have to go all in I would pick the pocket 10s. If I have to play one them post flop, may be I still would go for 10s, but playing KQ is ok too.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

10 10. Take the pair every time in a race, even ducks.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TnT for me :cool:

Of course it would depend on the situation though. KQ would play better in multi-way pots and play better post-flop, but TT is the better hand heads-up against KQ and also the better hand for preflop shoving All-In too.

I like TT better, but partly perhaps because cardschat freerolls tend to be shorter effective stacks and better chance I can get All-In with TT :)