JJ Truth or Lie?

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the first time I've heard of this. You can lose on any pair, no matter how high it is. But thanks now I will know about the importance of JJ in brazil.

D

denis_og79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a lie, it was a myth created by us Brazilians

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Starting pair JJ can be compared to pocket AKs: it looks good, but it's hard to win a lot with it. Jacks pose a lot of problems for beginners analyzing their play: how to play, how much to bet, when to fold, when to put all the chips on the line.

A

AntraxMax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Jj as a starting hand, I would always play slowly, kk for example only raise. at aa just call, often a pocket is good but not always the guarantee to win

Good luck 🍀

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I see that everyone considers the JJ as losers, but in my opinion it's all people's stories, especially the recreational players who think that they should always win with a pair and it is common that they do not know how to withdraw in some cases with the JJ, it is a good pair but don't overdo it in always wanting to finish all in with this hand.

Not a bad hand, but like the man said, proceed with caution. It doesn't hurt so much to get busted with jacks as it does with aces.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my bad habbits is to enter pots with a pair face cards. I rather win a small pot preflop with em, than to go post flop with em. That been said, it is hard to fold JJ let alone AA post flop, especially in a wet board or with an over card.
Best option is to raise big and 3bet with em preflop, and using your image at the table to your advantage. If your PFR is over 18-21 no one would respect your raises, if 3bets over 12-15, you are in a world of pain, 4bet or allin over 8-10 well, I dont have to draw you a picture, do I?

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
Its a raise preflop hand. like all "all ins" its a toss coin against overcards. its a strong hand but its going to depend on the context (players tendencies, positions, effetive stacks, board texture, etc) i dont recommend slow play at all.

S

Shab88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, there isn't

Here in Brazil the JJ pair is considered the underdog, I believe in the legend since I lost 3 pairs of JJ to smaller pairs in the same tournament. today I prefer to go flat calling with that hand. Is there superstition in your country with this pair too? How to get in hand with JJ?
To play it or not depends on a lot of factors, such as: 1)style of game of the players on the table, 2)Your position, 3)behaviour of your opponents, 4)And ,of course, cards on the flop:D:D:D

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it is a reality, you can win as you lose, you will not always lose with jj, but hey, it is true that it is a very frowned upon hand.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a great hand. The only hands that have an advantage over it are QQ+. You are about 53% against AQ+ and KK and about 80% over everything else.

R

rodrigonc340

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the dreaded hand in Brazil, I believe in this superstinction kkk. but if equity isn't a bad hand, it's behind low range.

but I prefer to walk on eggshells with this unlucky hand hahahaha

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like JJ on SNGs, It's a good pair to the push/fold phase

T

tladake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is good to risk a little bit but not to much. I take it as a good hand to play and to be careful.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you believe will be. Therefore, it is better to believe in the best than to know that this will not happen. Even a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day.

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ, it is really an excellent hand, he plays very well, both preflop and on the flop, sometimes you can go allin with them, of course depending on our position and that he comes clean from first places, whether utg or ugh1, when it comes time to play them ,, And if it touches to bounce them, nothing happens, you simply did not trust them ,, but at the end of the hand, the one who plays them better and the varinasse will win accompanied ,, luck and that we win in the long term with those JJ ,, patience and one day do not stand up to the other ,,,

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i hate JJ, all what i have to say

P

Pokerman32750

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a great hand. The only hands that have an advantage over it are QQ+. You are about 53% against AQ+ and KK and about 80% over everything else.

Youre not 53% against KK

B

beelzeebuub

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As usual, it really depends on position and where you're at in a tournament how I would play this.. all in all, if I am in late position opening, I will raise2-3 X more than in early position where I would simply call to disguise medium strength.. I've had mixed results here and generally advise prudence playing JJ..

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in Brazil the JJ pair is considered the underdog, I believe in the legend since I lost 3 pairs of JJ to smaller pairs in the same tournament. today I prefer to go flat calling with that hand. Is there superstition in your country with this pair too? How to get in hand with JJ?
No superstition here in the US that I know of. Depends on circumstances. Sometimes I limo in, sometimes I raise and sometimes I go all in with JJ.

slevinzed

slevinzed

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess the more we automize the game less fun we encounter, every table has it own mood and rythm, it also depends on ur position ur stack etc..
but I guess flatting is not the best option with JJ

Argylegreg

Argylegreg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many answers, I always just approach them with the thought "they're just pretty tens" that way I hold them in perspective and consider position and opponants before making any play.

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ are not bad i won a mid torny money vs last two players hit JJJ against QQ ,KK yes i lost too with JJ i like em better then 99

PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Its all about statistics, any pair has 50% chance of winning versus unpaired card.