JJ Truth or Lie?

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ and QQ. Hardest hands to pay correctly for me. Your always bothered about a king or ace flopping. I tend to 3 bet then raise the pot if still top pair

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Jacks usually plays itself out...you should probably raise with them preflop, fold to an ace or king, and bet big if the flop has undercards...but fate plays a role. There are many hands that go all the way to the river that can beat JJ...it's a cross your fingers and hope for the best kind of hand.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing JJ is tricky. I dont play this hand well. A large preflop bet hoping to run everyone out or a limp hoping to hit a set or a small unconnected flop are the 2 plays I use back and forth.
But JJ always makes my heart flutter a little when I look down and see it. LOL

JJ is tricky for sure; in fact, ask poker players what trouble hands they have. Chances are that JJ is high on most lists. It is a great hand preflop, but a higher pocket pair has us crushed and even one A,K or Q on the board always makes us slightly concerned. I think JJ gives many players trouble in great part because they can't fold when they should. Facing aggression with a Flop of say AK4 rainbow - I think we can usually only call maybe one bet - if that! Obviously better if we have position or some strong draw etc. but in cases like this, we must be willing to fold without getting attached to our hand.

JJ is still a powerful hand though - don't forget that one overcard present doesn't mean the opponent has it. On a flop like Q22, I don't love my hand because of the obvious Queen making trips, but we still might hold the best hand. Especially if it goes check once or twice early on here. Similarly, if the board is QQ2, then I like our JJ because trip Queens is less likely as we see two of them on the board. Perhaps even better is if the other card is likely to connect the opponent if we beat it like QQT when we hold JJ. Board texture is just as important as the opponent, but JJ is still a great preflop hand if you are humble enough to muck it when the heat becomes too much.

I like JJ for stealing BB's , it's not bad if you have a bully that keeps raising you every hand either. In spots other than that , i agree with the previous posts , i would just flat and hope for trips lol.

glgl
lol I see where you are coming from here, but I disagree with playing JJ this way. It is too strong of a hand to be attempting blind steals with. I'd prefer to make a blind steal with some potential to hit like A2s or 98s given that I get in cheap enough. These hands I can easily muck if I don't like what I see comes up. JJ is too good of a hand to attempt a blind steal with as your default.

Yeah okay, we aren't usually too sure with JJ unless we hit a set (or flush/straight later on etc.) but we are still ahead most of the time.

JJ is a good hand of course, but it’s not a premium hand. I see many players calling multiple all ins with JJ and it’s a dangerous hand in this case.
Define "premium" here :D I consider JJ a "premium" pair (in fact, many consider any pair of 99+ premium). However, by my definition of "premium" I mean more like top 5% (or so) of hands preflop. This is not to say that JJ should be played for All-in because who would call an All-in against your JJ? Probably AA or KK (surely premium hands) and maybe even QQ or AK etc.

The way I approach this is that JJ is "premium" in the sense that it is usually ahead, but not a hand you want to get attached to if too many bets or raises go into the pot.

This is just superstition. There is no big difference between 10 10, JJ, QQ. Pocket AA can also be problematic. The main thing is to play correctly so that in case of failure you lose less chips.

+1 I think JJ and TT play similarly. QQ as well, but this is a little better for me because we dominate the likely AQ and lower Ax hands. This doesn't give us complete confidence because of AA, KK and maybe even AK by the opponent(s), but these are all great starting hands in my opinion - as long as you are willing to fold them and cut your losses when those times come.

This superstition was clearly invented by those who do not know how to play a pair of JJ)))

Probably ;) It is a tricky hand to play for sure though. Just don't over-value JJ and I think things will usually go well :cool:

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is just a pair that is often over valued and over played, especially after the flop. Played correctly and you can take down huge pots but it can also have the reverse effect and get you into a lot of trouble. Great to be holding if you’re short stacked not so great if you’re out of position and presented with a drawing board on the flop.

Last edited:
peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always remember that there is 12 cards that beat u, if there is one on the board that makes ur life complicated.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. If your bank is right, get into the flop as cheap as possible. Then determine what direction to head, keeping in mind that a wet flop can shut ya' back some. Bet wisely.

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i don't hit set there is nothing to play if on the board is Q K A. It's just a pair noting more. I shove them only if low stacked on mtt otherwise raise pre flop and see the board first.

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is pure superstition. With any pair, it depends on how you play it, it becomes strong or weak depends on the variables of that hand.

luckyhenri

luckyhenri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is good any other pair, cammon, it's rare to have multiple pairs in one hand. All in with JJ, easy peasy.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have no superstition with JJ, on the contrary, I love playing with them.
For me it has been very lucky, I tend to increase 3bb pre-flop, on the flop depending on which turn I raise or limp to see if someone will raise.
Post-flop I raise and go like this, if the table is in my favor.
For me it has worked very well.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a lie, JJ is just a hand, I'm the unlucky one.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a good hand. All hands lose. Accept it and it will be easier.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With no pos think it's push all in

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What anyone believes may be a down fall to playing certain hands as it does not allow you play properly in all situation. I think JJ should always be played slowly until you have a read on your opponent.

P

Pokerman32750

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is better against good players. If you're betting into a calling station, they're more likely to turn an ace or a king against you. Good players know not to risk their whole stack going fishing.

Even if it misses the flop completely, AK still has a >24% chance to suck out against JJ on the turn and river.
Exactly I've been sucked out in micro and low stakes, raised and getting called pre flop.. Flop shows rainbow blank and donkey fish still shoves with Ace plus anything off suit and manages to land a horseshoe on the turn or river!

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any hand in poker is dangerous, I one punished all in and with JJ so there is no lie or truth.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ just another pair... depends on stack. position, situation....

JJ suited is the best...

S

ScottyDee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ

Doesnt play well post flop. Not my favourite starting hand.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend

For this reason, I did not All In Pre Flop with that pair, I prefer to bluff or play Check / Call.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no bad couples. There is an incorrect assessment of the strength of the cards, it is natural to play this combination and, as usual, simply not in suit in this hand.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Here in Brazil the JJ pair is considered the underdog, I believe in the legend since I lost 3 pairs of JJ to smaller pairs in the same tournament. today I prefer to go flat calling with that hand. Is there superstition in your country with this pair too? How to get in hand with JJ?

Jacks can be a problem hand. If you raise with them pre-flop and an overcard flops, they are mostly dead.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ no superstition.

In America, JJ isn't considered a premium hand. There is no aura or superstition. Although it is superior to numbered pairs, it is a lesser hand, in the respect that it doesn't connect; misses all but the highest numbers.
And the highest cards, you are often in the ignorant, lower end of straights and flushes with JJ.
It takes a high level of skill reading the table, other players to be able to consistently win with JJ.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not in usa that I know of. I get jj or any pocket pair im raising but sometimes I slow roll if I think every1 will fold so good luck. I don't really believe in that superstition stuff or karma I guess.
My girlfriends lil kid was bugging out about a ghost in the closet so I got carb cleaner and lighter and opened up the closet and lit that ghost up. No worrys now.
Kid been sleeping good ever since then..
Ended up being a lil mouse.