How you feel when losing in strong hands

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel calm, because the game will always vary and you will always lose with stronger hands, this always happens in poker.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
We should never feel entitled to win when we have a big hand. When we do we can tilt.

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It really freaks you out if you win with a strong hand that you think is a win.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It hurts quite a bit to lose with good cards, but it happens all the time.
Just as sometimes you win with worse hands, other times you have to lose with better ones. I suppose the negative impact of losing with a strong hand lingers much more in the mind than winning with a worse hand.
But well, that's poker. The only way to avoid surprises is to win before the cards are turned, and it's not easy at all.
Obviously, it bothers me a lot to lose when I feel I played better, but I always try to keep in mind that in the long run, if you make the right decisions, it will pay off.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a very bad situation to lose strong hands like AA, KK and QQ, especially when you're starting out in poker, this could even be a reason for giving up for some players, but once we understand the variance of the game it becomes easier, it's even harder pain is less.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Just the usual....90% of the time I lose with big cards, or at least 87% hands....unfortunately, it's a common thing, I don't care anymore.....

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I get very angry if I lose with strong hands against troll hands that hit the river, when I get a bad beat like that I fall flat on my face!!!

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Of course I'm extremely disappointed and upset at those moments, but that's part of the game.
You have to accept that even the best cards do not necessarily mean victory (indeed).
If you could always win with every hand, then this game wouldn't be exciting and nobody would play it.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Pretty angry when my hand is strong.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cope with that very easily.
I don't care to much and I focus to maintain A game

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its pretty underwhelming. The worst for me is when i have a stringer pair hand, like KK against 88, and on the flop an 8 comes. But eh you just have to accept it. Its all a game after all.

Inabit

Inabit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
It's frustrating for sure, but I try to remember that what's important is whether I played the hand correctly. If I did and it was just a bad beat that's part of poker. In the long run I'll be profitable from that situation.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that everyone who loses has a feeling of nervousness, but the key is how you can master this moment and have the ambition to overcome the moment, keeping your concentration on the continuation of the game.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gutted, disappointed, crestfallen, annoyed, irritated, vexed, nonplussed, outraged, inconsolable, pithy.

J

Jayinem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Every time I read about bad beats on this forum someone tries to put a positive spin on them like you'll learn from them. In reality you're just going to get more bad beats no matter how long you play, they never end. What can I "learn" from getting rivered by a donk who made a terrible call calling my all in when I had top pair with middle pair and hitting their two pair on the river? I did everything right, they got lucky, end of story.

Last edited:
Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
It's a bit frustrating, especially when you lose with AA vs. 3J to someone who can't bluff or plays all hands. Also, if it's in some tournament for money and you lose, it might make me angry that I'll just quit poker. But if you lost to another strong hand with a strong hand, that's normal, it happens.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If it kicks me out of an MTT, this song plays in my mind and then I open up the odds calculator to see just how much of a suckout I just suffered.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Try not to lose, be inspired by our great master J. LYONS Staying at the table after an ALL in
Unfortunately he Lost Over the course of a few hands. Ledesma winner of the super hollers at 888 Madrid, great master, thanks for the teachings Screenshot 20240202 120206

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Ehh now i got to be OK with the bad beats, but when i started to play poker, especially în fisrt couple of years i just blown ouț and reacție very violent, but lucky for me got over that faze... 😁

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want people to make bad choices when calling a hand. On the low percentage of those hands you don't win, just part of the game. You could always just think of the majority of the ones you did win.

B

Broz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I don't even look at when I go all in pre-flop or when I go all in on the river. I only see after finishing the hand if I won the pot or not. I don't even try to stress out when I lose a hand, winning or losing is part of the game.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing in a Live game I made a Full House against an opponent who had been very aggressive in his play up to that point and because he had lost so many chips, He didn't pose me a serious problem when he pushed all-in.
I naturally called but was greeted with a bigger Full House in his hand, Sure it cost me a huge chunk of my stack, but the important thing was that although there was plenty of laughter around the table, I kept my composure and a little while later, we got into the same situation again, both of us making Full Houses but this time my hand was the "Nut" F/H and it was goodnight from him.
Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Chilled.
Morale is Keep your Cool, Concentrate on the Game and eventually "What goes around, Comes around"

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
feel like the game is rigged and the whole system is against me, then I just charge it to the game

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands