How Would You Define a "Strong Player" ?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends through who's eyes your looking i guess but id rather be a winning Nit over a losing Lag.

mc grindah

mc grindah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When a player makes me fold a lot is when I consider them strong ahaha.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good player wins as much as possible with good hands, prigrevaet minimally little with bad hands.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The distance will show who is strong and who is not. A strong player must read the game as an open book.:cool:

Drhat63

Drhat63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a good player has leaks... they are learning and learning and that is expected. A great player has addressed those leaks, and attempted to plug them, no matter if they are "life" leaks, aka, the Pits or true gambling, or just poor spending habits in life's matters.

Great players also have really long term memory, able to draw from experiences and lessons learned in the past, but ALSO short term memory loss; this means not allowing previous hands of a session/tournament to tilt you, make you play any differently than your normal solid self. you have to be able to accept accountability, not blame bad plays on other players, but accept that maybe you didn't play the hand optimally....

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During tournaments, a good player is immediately determined by a large stack!

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Somebody who wins

A good player is somebody in my opinion who has good understanding of hands strategies, odds and also can put up to be a character.

But at the end of the day, the goods players should be the ones who earn the most!

G

GameTooHard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strong how? If we're talking about Joe Blow off the street then I would say being a winning player at .25/.50 online over +100k hands would make them a strong player. If we're talking about someone who's in the main event of the wsop that's a much more difficult question.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A strong player would know that this ^ is incorrect ;)
Why don't you dazzle us with your explanation as to why it's a mistake to jump out of my chair,Colin? :) being as "weak" player,,it might help me out,,,, :flute:

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to judge is by height. Difficult when sitting. But no one said it was easy.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good player is one who can make adjustments to the other players on the table... & then one who can quickly make adjustments to how other's are adjusting to them.

A good player capitalizes on the leaks & tendencies of other players.

A good player is one who thinks on multi-levels... but doesn't attempt to play level 3 thinking poker vs. a player who's only thinking along level 1 lines (if you don't understand what I'm referring to... look up 'levels of thinking in poker')

A good player is always adapting to the changing environment of the game. (a good player from 2009 might not be a good player

Nice, now how do I get to level 2?

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Strong player for me is a player who plays regularly, many tables at once and wins a lot (like 5-10+ bb/100 in cash games).

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, a strong player is one who consistently evolves as the game does. They will be good days and bad days, and being able to identify and adapt to them is a sign of that strength. Wins/losses are merely stats that show a strong player where they have to improve. Look at Phill Helmuth, several titles and cashes with god knows how many deep runs, and when he tilts we watch him express his frustration. But after a while, he will find his opponent and talk with them to discover how they played.
A strong player is always studying the competition, and knows where they stand.

jrutledge

jrutledge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good player should be somebody who has great fundamentals but also has an element of unpredictability. If you're just tight and play every hand like it's supposed to be played, you're not very good.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a good player always reads the game at the table, sees the players, not bad uses bluff.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A player who can steal pot, slow play well, bluff , and can spot bluffs and weak players. They pick up and know the best moments to do all this stuff,without going overboard

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline is the number one trait of a great player. The ability to lay down a great hand is two.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why don't you dazzle us with your explanation as to why it's a mistake to jump out of my chair,Colin? :) being as "weak" player,,it might help me out,,,, :flute:

I'm not interested in dazzling you... I'm not even interested in educating you.
But if you want to find your answer, it is out there. Try doing some work by researching it. I can give you a hint 'Jared Tendler' (Oops! I think I crossed the line there... that hint was actually a bit educational)

A good player is one who can make adjustments to the other players on the table... & then one who can quickly make adjustments to how other's are adjusting to them.

A good player capitalizes on the leaks & tendencies of other players.

A good player is one who thinks on multi-levels... but doesn't attempt to play level 3 thinking poker vs. a player who's only thinking along level 1 lines (if you don't understand what I'm referring to... look up 'levels of thinking in poker')

A good player is always adapting to the changing environment of the game. (a good player from 2009 might not be a good player

Nice, now how do I get to level 2
?

You already are.
By playing vs. other players who are thinking on multi-levels ( Level 1= "I gots ___")

Last edited by a moderator:
M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a strong player its a slow player, wait...wait and attack

C

Cbob1195

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone who assessing the whole situation and aware of players around them. The cards are only a small part of the game

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think is a lot of combinations:
1- Changing gears to no let villains recognize your pattern (personally i like TAG to LAG), to not let them know what really means the sizes of your bets, in other word staying unpredictable the whole game.

2- Folding good hands, i think when people start to play poker they always think his A K have to win no matter what. The pros always get information with this hands and know when to quit.

3- Playing beyond the cards, sometimes you have nothing but you sense weakness or you have position to steal the pot.

4- Reading your enemy, knowing exactly what it means the size of his bets, what his image (agressive, passive, tight, loose). And how often he tries to steal the pot when he has position.

5- Strong mindset, letting it go bad beats, controlling tilt and having focus during long hours of tournaments.

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good player is a player who plays in a balanced way, does not make unnecessary actions, understands and monitors the dynamics at the table, is resistant to tilt, constantly analyzes and works on his game.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We have some really good players here at cardchat, you just know the ones who bluff a lot and those who dont so who to go up against but having said that there are so many new ones now who just seem to bulldoze their way through, which makes the game more by pure luck or stupidity which kind of takes the skill part out of the game especially in the freerolls, I still play some and have cashed a wee bit but definitely not as easy for me, I kind of liked knowing the players but I was out of commission for a bit and fell down in ratings but still love the game and with patience sometimes perservere!

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me these are players who are in the finals of the tournament every time, no matter of luck.