How Would You Define a "Strong Player" ?

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a strong player is one who knows how to play in any situation! he who is always confident in his decisions and always works on his game

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, personally, it's very simple. A "strong" player is one who, over a long enough time period, wins money. They might not win very much - but they do more than break even and definitely don't lose. If you can avoid losing your money, most pros say that would put you in the top 10% of players.

andy112211

andy112211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good poker player to me is confident, aggressive, knows when to fold and makes a good bluff. I think good players get large stacks at the beginning of the game and use their large stacks to their benefit. Good players like that are hard to play against. Also, good players know how to play position and can steal the antes and blinds. So, I think a good player just has a lot of knowledge in general about the game.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
A good player knows what hands to play on every position and for every stack he has . He knows when to play aggressively and how to set traps , to steal blinds , to identify weak opponents and exploit their weaknesses . And ofcourse the good results and winnings on the long run tell the truth how successful and capable a poker player is

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good player does not go all-in on the first hand:):):)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My definition of a good poker player is a winning poker player. Consistently! If they are winning regularly and turning a profit, however they do it (except cheating or botting of course), they are a strong player in my opinion.

I have my own preferences regarding style of play and strategy, a type of player I have more respect for, but at the end of the day it's results-based for me.

I doubt there are many terrible players in the world who get lucky often enough to win more than they lose despite awful play.

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strong player

I consider a strong poker player who can adapt to the situation and can sometimes read the other players. Like how that player is playing at the moment etc....

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A strong player knows himself/herself and pays close attention to each villain's behaviour. Also keeps records of player behaviour and tendencies. Notices when the player is doing something different than his or her norm. A strong player knows the statistics for hands, and knows how to decide based on profitability.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A strong player knows himself/herself and pays close attention to each villain's behaviour. Also keeps records of player behaviour and tendencies. Notices when the player is doing something different than his or her norm. A strong player knows the statistics for hands, and knows how to decide based on profitability.

Someone who can adjust quickly to games and has good awareness of the table environment. Can pull off big bluffs, and remain coolheaded.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A strong player aspires to play the percentages each time and does not go on tilt if it fails. He knows that in the long run he will maximize his chances of winning and minimize his losses. He is also able to make big lay downs and get a good read on his opponents. He sizes up the board and does not overlook the changes on each street, he looks at the game through the eyes of his opponents and avoids making rash decisions. A good player takes notes at the table and does not try to play every hand. He has fun at the table and is always gracious in defeat!

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A strong player is a player that can control his emotions and can adapt to anything!

A

azoppina609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One who has control over his emotions doesn't get caught bluffing. Is good at reeling in players money or separating them from it. Also plays statistically and not what looks good.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to define by height. But that's tough when everyone is sitting- or online. So I switched to smell. Useless online but works well live. Unless you're against a strong player- then it stinks.

prozitu

prozitu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game that takes 5 minutes to learn, but a lifetime to be mastered.

The player who does the patience becomes a great player !!

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ISo I switched to smell. it stinks.

Lol Love your Post smknginmaine !!

One Strength a Good Poker Player Must have is a Bladder like a Bucket...

An Ability to See through Sunglasses in a dimly lit room...

Also Help's to Have State of the art Headphones, MP3 Player and a Hoodie that rivals a Burqa for hiding any facial tick or chance opponents can read even the slightest smile or grimace...

Every Thing Else is Just Luck and Swagger...

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:e951742eddd0421dad62714c16a1a144-6a3G4QNL5HSK2-825_634x865.jpg

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
astrong player is one versatile in all aspects of the game

sound strategy
patience
aggression
read players well
has good command of the verbal game
can switch gears to suit the game
tilt control
wins well and loses like a gentleman

there are very few players who have command of al the elements of poker

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
astrong player is one versatile in all aspects of the game

sound strategy
patience
aggression
read players well
has good command of the verbal game
can switch gears to suit the game
tilt control
wins well and loses like a gentleman

there are very few players who have command of al the elements of poker

I wonder if "Tony G" Would meet the Wins well and Loses like a gentleman critereia? oh well its said and done now he's a politician, there is no doubt EVERY thing we've seen of PLAYERS in his category would make great Politicians lol With Out the Hoodies Or the Shades...

OMG All those Attributes do make for a good Politician Also...

Can We Ever Give The Attribute "Honor" to either a Politician or Poker Player?

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
what is your definition of a good player in poker?

I think the best players are the ones who adjust their play to take advantage of the way other players are playing. These are tricky players who learn to disguise their hand strength through changing their betting patterns depending on who they are playing. The strong player will be someone who makes choices based on position, perception and situation. He/she will understand the nuances of the game and will play accordingly. I guess to boil it all down, the strong players are those that can read their opponents and style their game to exploit them.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well trained.

Thanks for posting.

A good player has taken the time to train themselves well. They understand all concepts of winning at poker. These concepts involve Math skills. The Psychology of poker. bankroll management and of course the Physical requirements. Good players have also applied these learned skills repeatedly.

There is a saying regarding No Limit Holdem. It is easy to learn but takes a lifetime to master.

Good news. That was before the internet.

;):D:)

J

Johnny Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How would you define a strong player in poker?

For me its a lot of things. His confidence, patience, determination are important attributes first and foremost.

Also many things like bet sizing, him knowing positioning is important also.
I like a player who looks for good spots as well. A good observer is key in getting tells,body language and other stuff.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good poker player

A good player is primarily a thinking player — one who is able to think and make important conclusions. Who is able to make important decisions and carefully weigh every step in the game. He is a sensible and reasonable person, calm and patient, able to play and draw important conclusions about his games. Cool and balanced, and, finally, the one who loves the work in which he is engaged and gets pleasure from it. Those who are constantly looking for ways to improve their game:icon_smur:icon_smur:icon_smur

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A good player is one who can make adjustments to the other players on the table... & then one who can quickly make adjustments to how other's are adjusting to them.

A good player capitalizes on the leaks & tendencies of other players.

A good player is one who thinks on multi-levels... but doesn't attempt to play level 3 thinking poker vs. a player who's only thinking along level 1 lines (if you don't understand what I'm referring to... look up 'levels of thinking in poker')

A good player is always adapting to the changing environment of the game. (a good player from 2009 might not be a good player

Nice, now how do I get to level 2
?

Well for starters you have to play poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
We have some really good players here at cardchat, you just know the ones who bluff a lot and those who dont so who to go up against but having said that there are so many new ones now who just seem to bulldoze their way through, which makes the game more by pure luck or stupidity which kind of takes the skill part out of the game especially in the freerolls, I still play some and have cashed a wee bit but definitely not as easy for me, I kind of liked knowing the players but I was out of commission for a bit and fell down in ratings but still love the game and with patience sometimes perservere!

I could give you some coaching if you're interested. Let me know... I'd be happy to help you out.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Poker is a game just like other games. A player who consistently perform well in a game is a good player.
Same thing applies here. In poker your performance is determined by your winnings. If someone wins regularly then i would say he is a good player.
I think, it is immaterial that he is a tight or aggressive or a slow player. At the end it is the result that counts no matter how he achieves that and what style of play he adopts.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First, ability to suffer and wait for the necessary distribution. It is necessary to understand that poker – a game long and momentary success often results in the discouraging results. While you constantly hang in folds, it is possible to spend time for studying of behavior of rivals and to be in constant readiness for action at the right time. Secondly, existence of analytical skills. Any poker player – the born analyst and the very good intellectual. Ability to analyze the events has to be that is called in blood of any player around. This combination of breadth of vision and the developed analytical skills surely will prove positively already during the game, and the game is more intense, the will be stronger. When we speak about analytics, first of all we mean ability of the player "to talk to ourselves" - constantly to ask ourselves questions of the events at a table and to look for on them answers. You should not think that the given qualities are given us from god. No! They are developed by intense work over by itself, they are fixed by very strict behavior in life – observance of a rhythm of a dream and wakefulness, food, physical activities.