How Many Poker Books Do You Read?

Lubzhen

Lubzhen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read books on poker. I try to read most new. You need to determine the kind of poker. And proceeding from it to select authors and books.

Sum420gt

Sum420gt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as I can remember, I have never read a book on poker. I started my poker schooling right here. But I was so mad so much of the time that I didn't learn a damn thing for the first 3 months. Like I always say, these CC members put me on a NO TILT diet and that's what I worked on for 6 months and nothing else. Today you can beat the crap out of me 3 times in a row on the river and I won't think twice about it, because I have to think about the hand coming. The past ones will just drag you down. Anyway, these days I'm working on some position, range, and bet sizing in those situations. It's not easy so I guess no one will mind if I just take my time. When I have a question I need advice on, I do like everyone else, I post it. And I don't remember a time when I got no feedback. About my tilt problem, one man with a very few words was the one who really got me looking at myself as my own biggest problem. He called them my enter demons. I took that so serious that I kept trying to get him to say a little more, and give me a hint of what I was missing. I thought he knew a secert about the game and one day he was going to tell me. That's so crazy, But this man never said anything else to add to those few words, but he did quite a bit remind me of those demons. Those turned out to be anger, hate, fear, low self-esteme, and a truck load of more of the same. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG. It still is me and I have a long way to go. Just waiting for my go ahead to move up to 25nl sometime today, or in the morning. I got the money and need to take a shot at it. Sorry you guys, I just got carried away with this.

Thank you for this post, it really speaks to the problems i have when im playing poker. It seems like the anger i have built up from life sometimes comes out in poker, and i have to learn to separate the two. This post really inspired me to take an objective look at what im doing, time for me to go on the no tilt diet.

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have read two the last few months and planning to go for Harrington on modern tournament poker. It's the most recent book that fits the way I want to go.
Everything I can get my hands on online and in books is a plus and even if I remember only 10% of what it said, it helps to get better. Rereading and studying as if you would get an exam in the end is a good way to get max value out of it.

S

Shiroslullaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read Harrington on Hold'Em and I got Daniel Negrenau's Small Ball Poker when it was free on Amazon but haven't read it.
(Its still free I just checked!)
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Daniel_Negreanu_Small_Ball?id=Z1aoBQAAQBAJ&hl=en

I think for most people they should read a book or two and then start watching some streams.
Twitch Poker is a HUGE resource. Living in todays day and age you would be crazy not to take advantage of live streaming poker.
Books are good but you can learn so much from watching someone explain what they are doing in real time.

qkamara6ina

qkamara6ina

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Onlubone for now the book of daniel negreanu but i want to say that i readed it only for hour or two it was completwly fun and helpful

attila87

attila87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no one. :) I think it should be exercised.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As far as I can remember, I have never read a book on poker. I started my poker schooling right here. But I was so mad so much of the time that I didn't learn a damn thing for the first 3 months. Like I always say, these CC members put me on a NO TILT diet and that's what I worked on for 6 months and nothing else. Today you can beat the crap out of me 3 times in a row on the river and I won't think twice about it, because I have to think about the hand coming. The past ones will just drag you down. Anyway, these days I'm working on some position, range, and bet sizing in those situations. It's not easy so I guess no one will mind if I just take my time. When I have a question I need advice on, I do like everyone else, I post it. And I don't remember a time when I got no feedback. About my tilt problem, one man with a very few words was the one who really got me looking at myself as my own biggest problem. He called them my enter demons. I took that so serious that I kept trying to get him to say a little more, and give me a hint of what I was missing. I thought he knew a secert about the game and one day he was going to tell me. That's so crazy, But this man never said anything else to add to those few words, but he did quite a bit remind me of those demons. Those turned out to be anger, hate, fear, low self-esteme, and a truck load of more of the same. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG. It still is me and I have a long way to go. Just waiting for my go ahead to move up to 25nl sometime today, or in the morning. I got the money and need to take a shot at it. Sorry you guys, I just got carried away with this.

There's even some decent 'poker books' out there for what you're describing here in this post.

Personally I've read a lot of poker books. As a guess I'd say around 75 books (& still have maybe 25 hardcopy at home & another 30+ on my e-reader).
When I started playing online poker I got very addicted to 'learning' the game. I'd recommend picking up a few books to anyone who hasn't read one before. Typically those who say books aren't worth reading are those who haven't read any (or at least not any decent ones). Many also believe the book is going to tell you how to play... vs. using your own style of play. This is false (sort of)... good books will teach you how to think (which in turn will help you learn how to play in given situations).

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope no one took me wrong about the poker books. I'm sure if I had them I would read them. And I have no doubt they would help my game, but in the past 3 1/2 years I've lived on very little, because I had been working on my SSI. Got denied and said the hell with that, so I'm working some now and really doing better with a few dollars in my pocket each week. Well got way off there. The thought just came to me that I collect books and find them all at yard sales. thrift stores, and even our libarby sells the ones they have to many of. So guess I can keep my eyes open for poker books while looking.

L

Lance Webster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
actually i have never read a poker book in my life. I learn by playing the millions of hands ive seen

cally

cally

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowledge is power. Why not get a different perspective to better your game? Usually free.... cost benefit ratio :)

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read Zen of Poker and Treating Your Poker Like a Business.

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to read a lot of books about poker. Now I do not read. No time. But in general, we must always learn.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not one book not read, I see no reason they are a couple years behind the game. With live broadcasts and training you can learn a lot more as for me.

Fish2014

Fish2014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can recommend some books to e read and others that do not...
-Heads-Up No Limit Hold'em: Expert Advice for Winning Heads-Up Poker Matches
-No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice
-Harrington on Cash Games, Volume I: How to Win at No Limit Hold'em Money Games
-The Mathematics of Poker
I like videos and documentaries you can search on the web for a very good documentary called NOSEBLEED

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
None
I do read stuff online and watch some hands from pros.

Mason Pye

Mason Pye

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Harrington series is great to read and to improve your game

Robert Krawczak

Robert Krawczak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Poland it's really hard to get poker books, but i try to get them in internet. I also read many blog and watch films but the best book i read was The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
books

unrortunately i havent read any)
i think the best is practice everyday on freerolls)) reading book and playing poker is differ))

kiddo7

kiddo7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to read a lot before all these training videos came out online. I would still recommend that people read the classics like Doyle Brunson's books but these days it's just easier to youtube whatever you want to learn.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
i like books! not only poker, in general like reading. at first it was difficult to read a book about poker, but over time you get used to do this more often. Just find yours books, and start with your level, coz some books is really difficult to understand! now ive read 4 books about poker and start to read 5th/ read it slow because have other interesting non-poker books

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As an avid reader I have read many poker books. If I had to recommend a place to start, it would be The Mental Game of Poker Vol. 1&2. These books will set you up to learn and improve. From there participate here, watch videos and read books, articles and find some podcasts.

Play well and Good luck!