How to know when to stop?

B

B1961579

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I set a dollar limit I will allow myself to lose each day, and stop if I get to that amount. Also, if I'm tired or unable to really focus because of other distractions (kids, cats, etc.), or on tilt due to bad beats or bad play, I know I should stop. Sometimes, I'll quit the cash games and jump into a freeroll tourney just to see if I can finish the day on a more positive note. Even if I only make a few pennies, if I can make a final table, or play a few good hands, it's better than quitting when in a foul mood.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play for fun... you can follow what "step055" said above: "When you stop enjoying the process is a sign that you should stop."

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Tilting is one of the moments that tells me to stop. The other is the bad mood, if I'm in a bad mood I do not play for real money, but I'm just crazy about Zoom play money. I lose everything and disappear.The rest should be such that when you relax from poker, you should not mind that you are not playing at the moment.:cool:

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, people are willing to lose more than they are willing to win.
You hear it all the time with sayings like:
I'm on my way to the tables with $200. I'm going to win $1000 or lose this $200....

WTF??

:jd4::9h4:

JayE

JayE

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been having the same problem when i play live poker!
I triple my buy inn and keep playing till i lose it all! Ugh i even told myself if i get to a certain chip stack low or high im out, but then before i could stop at eithier one. My medium stack went all away with a bad move with picket Aces when somebody else flopped the nutz with a straight. [emoji90][emoji83][emoji49]

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
For me to know the when to Stop depends on several conditions:

1. I am sleepy and barely can keep awake = Time to Stop playing.
2. My bankroll is going beyond the Limit set for losses in a day = Time to Stop
3. I got upset because of a bad beat or becoming Tilted = Time to Stop
4. I reach a Jackpot, even If I am very happy for me = Time to Stop and Cash out some $$$

:deal:

Last edited:
M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it's time for a break when I'm not enjoying the "thought" aspect of the game. If I'm impatient, expecting to win every time that I play, then I know I'm in the wrong mindset to play and need ab reak

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you take a break even for sometime like I did. man how fast the poker world has taken over you will notice once you play in the freerolls. I remember playing at so many poker sites where there was 1000 players or less and you could build your bank rolls up from nothing. now it is like impossible to do that now a days. but if and when I am playing now I quit after 10 beers .

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowing when to quit is a very easy question for me to answer as I set goals at the start of every cash session.

- How many hands do I want to play?
- How much money am I willing to lose?
- How much money is considered the end of a hot streak?

Once I start making those goals, as soon as one of those three is hit I stop. If I suffer a bad beat but I'm within all three parameters, I put it behind me and keep playing. If I feel like my decisions are becoming emotional, I'll pause, not stop, and regroup.

Too often people sit down at the table without a plan and either end up going on a big heater, only to give most of it back, or they start spiraling down and can't stop because they want to win it back. Setting guardrails for yourself ensures your sessions are managable, defined and it becomes easy to know when to stop. Because it's not an emotional decision to stop - just like playing poker shouldn't be emotional when you're in a hand.

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have no stop button never giving up and loozing all bank untill is over)

Z

zohnum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got into a game and lost in the second leg, I left.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing too late last night, I was tired and started a tournament. I started making mistakes and ran out of patience just to be knocked out on the bubble. ....:(

cazual88

cazual88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I finish the game session after losing several buy-ins in a row.

Popaye

Popaye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then u have udea - win back all yor loses :p

D

deeggr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to stop then when you drop a bankroll

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I stop when my wife starts to look like she'd be happy to drive me to the hospital if I don't spend time doing something else.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very difficult question, I can stop if I won at least x10 if I lost, in a week I will try to make x10 again)))

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Break

I take a break from the game when it becomes not fun. I play this game because I enjoy it even with the bad beats. I think a break now and then is good for my poker game. It makes me play a little bit better when I start up again.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop playing when you no longer enjoy playing the game. There's always a crack in there to let you back, look for it, find your passion, make a comeback.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you should stop when uve hit your stop loss limit. Once its not fun anymore and money is on the line, discipline is important.

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When things do not go well or your emotional is shaken.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's time to step away from the game when you can't keep your concentration. Playing after realizing this will only lose you hands and money.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is what most people are having trouble with, you have to get to know yourself when it's time, set different boundaries as well as times when you stop for the day. When you're hot, you're best playing.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ai dont play for money, only on live games. and i play at least once or twice a week. and online its my thing for not trusting online playing i only play freerolls. and the winnings from it. so usually when i m not doing the right calls, going all in with stupid hands, thats when i close my computer

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to know the right moment when you need to quit the game. And how long breake you need it?

For an exact answer to your question, I would like to clarify how much time you already play when your poker career began? For those who say that it does not matter - it has a huge. And that's why ... If a person who plays for more than a year has never found the ability to leave the game in time and stop, whatever advice he has been given, this ability will remain for him only a desire. I have been playing for more than 10 years and can say for sure that I am a gambler and do not know how to stop in time, while my IQ is much higher than average and in my life I control myself perfectly. Therefore, focus not on acquiring a skill, but on technical aspects, namely, set limits in poker rooms for the number and size of deposits, stop-loss and other, the benefit now is so many moments.