How good a bluff does it have to be to be believed?

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the button and everyone folds and just the blinds are left, a bluff bet to 3 blinds is normally enough to get blinds to fold. If you get raised and you are bluffing just fold. If either one calls you can usually get a check no matter what flops so you get to see the turn for free.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider how good the board is for my range and how good are my Blockers when deciding to Bluff. Also having correct Bluff to Value Ratio is important.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello community[emoji106][emoji16] I noticed that players tend not to believe in bluffing, you do everything to make them believe, well, they still don't believe[emoji16]How often do you get to bluff? And do they always believe you?

I am not sure the majority of bluffs are ever truly 'believed'.

The most frequent bluffs are someone in position putting pressure on the blinds to steal them. Or, for example anyone wielding a large stack particularly as players near the bubble.

Most players with any experience recognize they are being semi if not fully bluffed at these points but against an aggressive player (who they anticipate betting the turn and river...just because) they are likely going to fold unless holding a premium hand. Live to fight another day.

As for pure bluffs in the middle of a game/tourney I believe they are fairly infrequent. Obviously, as mentioned, aggressive players will use them but I tend to think them as blunt edged instruments most of the time rather than artfully played hands.

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am not sure the majority of bluffs are ever truly 'believed'.

The most frequent bluffs are someone in position putting pressure on the blinds to steal them. Or, for example anyone wielding a large stack particularly as players near the bubble.

Most players with any experience recognize they are being semi if not fully bluffed at these points but against an aggressive player (who they anticipate betting the turn and river...just because) they are likely going to fold unless holding a premium hand. Live to fight another day.

As for pure bluffs in the middle of a game/tourney I believe they are fairly infrequent. Obviously, as mentioned, aggressive players will use them but I tend to think them as blunt edged instruments most of the time rather than artfully played hands.
Hi, of all the answers that I received, yours sounds the most correct, similar to the answer of a person who understands something in this game[emoji106]

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider how good the board is for my range and how good are my Blockers when deciding to Bluff. Also having correct Bluff to Value Ratio is important.
Thank you, if I translated everything correctly, then in individual moments, this strategy makes sense[emoji106]

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the button and everyone folds and just the blinds are left, a bluff bet to 3 blinds is normally enough to get blinds to fold. If you get raised and you are bluffing just fold. If either one calls you can usually get a check no matter what flops so you get to see the turn for free.
Hi, well, I said this strategy works only because people are bad at protecting the blinds, a good player will notice that you constantly do this and punish, your strategy is not bad, but has a life depending on the table and the players behind it, well, of course, because the clearing does not protect the blinds well

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the micros it should only be against regular or tight players, some bluffs in freerolls are simply not receptive or understandable, therefore it is better to bluff very rarely at the micros

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I know this for sure: if you don't bluff you won't make it to the final table!

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to bluff with the board situation...

PeLLeTTi

PeLLeTTi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is an art! It takes a lot of training and, above all, an open mind to observe other more experienced players and learn from their mistakes.
You need to understand how each different type of player behaves and the right way and time to bluff each one.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi, of all the answers that I received, yours sounds the most correct, similar to the answer of a person who understands something in this game[emoji106]

Thanks for the kind reply - appreciated!

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally if you are going to bluff then the story that you are trying to tell needs to make sense through the various streets during the hand. Oh and do not bluff calling stations.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look for lines and opportunities to look for creditable bluffs. bluffing on low card boards as the preflop aggressor doesn't look too creditable. Having nut blockers can help too but you need to know your opponent. You have to also make your bets large enough to deter a call. Make sure your story makes sense and try to do the same thing as you would with value in the similar position

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the ideal bluff for me is when it's better to bluff than to open cards when you have few chips left on the river, and also a good bluff when you understand the moment of bluffing when the opponent has no card or the smallest pair, this moment needs to be felt for a perfect bluff and you can not bet a huge amount of chips or cash to bluff

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have realized that for a bluff to be good it must include several fundamental factors, one of them would be to have a good stack, do not bluff if you have few chips and your opponent has a monstrous stack, 2 the experience you have bluffing has a lot to do with it, 3 it is always good at the moment of bluffing to choose the right timing to do it, if you do it when your opponent is having a lot of good hands, most likely he will call and you will be exposed with a bluffing hand. Finally, if it is a live table game, the attitude and confidence that you generate in the environment at the time of the bluff is part of the success of your strategy. Regards.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is only as good as the results. If your bluff makes no sense, then you go broke.

pandafreeroll

pandafreeroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly bluff if I'm up against only a preflop aggressor or passive limpers and we get to see an uncoordinated/dry board with no T+ cards. It depends on the table of course, but I have found that when there's a medium-sized bet from an EP preflop raiser on a board with cards that are out of their range, even a min-raise will get me instant folds because they clearly missed their range and tried to steal the pot with A high or similar. If they hit a set with a low pocket pair, they will usually slowplay and if they have an overpair, they will slowplay too, so it's often a good opportunity to catch a bluff with another bluff. If it's hijack-sb tho, you gotta be more careful not to run into a blind steal attempt gone lucky.

A

Ac3 Meister

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my sincere opinion, to have a succesfull bluff:
1. you should first get a feel for the table.
2. Be at least in the first chip stacks.
3. Only bluff when you are playing one or two players, not the whole table.
4. Bluff when the cards on the table, make your opponent think you could have at least two better possible hands than him .
5.Bluff in late stages of a tournament.

If anyone thinks I am wrong . please reply, I would like to see your strategy here,

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say that bluffing is largely a positioning thong lol

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The basic definition is> you should bluff when you think you can get the opponent to fold.
So basically you dont have some formulas or percentages, it is a matter of experience to figure out good moments and spots to do it.

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all for the answers, but tell me, we have read all the bluff strategies here, but everything is clear, we do not bluff like an amateur, we do not bluff with the void, we need some kind of story, stage of the game, stacks and this is all clear. I've been experimenting for the last three days, I don't play very seriously, I watch how our entire community plays. Well, yes, here we touched on the topic of bluffing, well, a new moment has arisen these days. 1. I realized that most of the players in our community play very tight. 2. No one believes in bluffs, no matter what stories you tell. 3. They protect everything too tight, I have never seen suit connectors in protection, they also protect with what they would open 4. And very very very much slow play. How to play all this?

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent question, it is very true that when you bluff, the best thing to do is to choose the opponent you want to bluff with, as they will not always fall, if the players on your table are passive they will come to believe that they will avoid losing all their chips, there are players who play all in but they are the worst to win because for one round you fold they will believe that you will always fold when they go all in, and you pay their bet.

S

Shantri333

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends....."how funny does a joke need to be in order to make you laugh?"

....does the joke on merit alone determine its success or would your mood or time of day factor....hmm I wonder

The answer you seek I do not know, but finding your funny bone will set you on the right path... wax on