How does your family view poker?

Olegan163s

Olegan163s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Parents are a little dissatisfied. But I'm good. So it is not a hindrance.

BabyJesus64

BabyJesus64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never even told my family about my poker games. Not going to tell them before I have won some significant money because I'm 99% sure they would be a very dissatisfied. They wouldn't really understand that poker can be profitable if you are good enough.

I

iamgrice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very true and its most apparent when I am trying to put together a good session and my girlfriend is just trying to get my off the internet , But when I am on a good streak she wants me to keep playing.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
that depends if you're winning or losing player.
if you lose a lot, then you have a problem and issue, if you win some then you're good to go

my family like it when i cash out and pay for some vacation and buy some stuff for my wife and kid :)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the time when I first started playing poker in our village happened hassles associated with online games. The headmaster began playing online betting. Play to that sold his house for the debts and kicked his wife. This happened three years ago. And he recently hanged for the same reason. Very bad fate of a man who depends on the game.And then three years ago I was scolded all relatives and discouraged from online games. They were afraid that I'm on the money. But I just did not have the money. I played only freerolls. And even now I do not play for money. Only those that are given as bonuses or win at the poker room. When I brought the first money everybody calmed down.That is not the beginning of a sweet in my poker. :( :( :(

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's awful. But there is a statistic--a pathological gambling problem are the signs of disorders of the nervous system....A mentally healthy person is not capable of suicide

I

ilostmysoul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both my parents think it's gambling without any kind of strategy or anything whatosever. When I had a HUD on trial a few months back I actually showed it to my father and explained him how I used it to keep track of tons of stuff and how this affected my game, he couldn't care less.

So now they don't say anything. As long as I keep my studies up also, they don't mind seeing me playing. They even know I'm playing for cash and still don't care as long as I don't ask them for money.
They are strongly against it as a career path or anything other than a hobby. It's hard to explain them why I can't come to dinner at 8pm because I'm taking part on a CC freeroll or I'm the chip leader on a .1 or .2 tournament. Usually I'm forced to sit out.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both my parents think it's gambling without any kind of strategy or anything whatosever. When I had a HUD on trial a few months back I actually showed it to my father and explained him how I used it to keep track of tons of stuff and how this affected my game, he couldn't care less.

So now they don't say anything. As long as I keep my studies up also, they don't mind seeing me playing. They even know I'm playing for cash and still don't care as long as I don't ask them for money.
They are strongly against it as a career path or anything other than a hobby. It's hard to explain them why I can't come to dinner at 8pm because I'm taking part on a CC freeroll or I'm the chip leader on a .1 or .2 tournament. Usually I'm forced to sit out.

I know the feeling of having to sitout when needing to have dinner with family, this was 4 years back before i moved out of my parents house. Then it was a problem, now ive got a lot of freedom and as of now even my wife is in chandigarh and back on 3rd june so its party time. Trust me family is also very important, balance it out :)

infotunes

infotunes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They did not think it was funny spending money in poker.
So now I only play freerolls and with winnings, do not upload any money anymore.
They think this is a good solution, and they know I like to play sometimes, and this is accepted.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They did not think it was funny spending money in poker.
So now I only play freerolls and with winnings, do not upload any money anymore.
They think this is a good solution, and they know I like to play sometimes, and this is accepted.

Incidently its the same for me. Im not allowed to deposit and i dont, only freerolls are acceptable by my family members. My dad gets nervous when i win at freerolls as well, he just wants me to be safe.:)

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that depends if you're winning or losing player.
if you lose a lot, then you have a problem and issue, if you win some then you're good to go

my family like it when i cash out and pay for some vacation and buy some stuff for my wife and kid :)

Yeah that's true :p

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone was against it at first. They all told me that I was gambling and chasing luck. I sat a few members of my family down, that would actually listen to me, and explained to them that if I was gambling, I should only have a 20 percent chance of winning this poker game. Why is it none of you will play me for real money, am I just the luckiest person in the room?

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the people have a wrong concept about poker !!!

they relate poker with 100% gambling games...

this is very annoying for me

K

K1CRA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In first time - Why you are playing this all day without reason? When I make first money at online poker they say - Can you win some money again? haha

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mother and sisters thought its gambling while my father considers it as skill.

Spiral46and2

Spiral46and2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When my family and I all get together we have a poker tourney. 5 buck entry. Cousins and uncles. Lots of fun. My dad loves poker. Plays 3-6 limit. He doesnt like the swings in NL. No probs from my family. I love talking poker with my dad.

H

hulaaaa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe it's strange, but I think that some members of my family, there are only three, they are not even aware that it exists

B

Biscleta

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My family see poker as a 100% lucky game, for them, poker is like gambling, so they are a little bit against me playing poker. The funny thing here is that we often organize some poker tournments between us with prizepool and everything