How do you react when you get A, no hand?

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I call it the Ace Rule. 95% of (low stakes) players play any ace, in any position, for any price.

I like your rule because I see it happening so often. As the saying goes, "An Ace in the hole..."
All too often we play KK, QQ, JJ, AKs, AQs, AKo and see a flop with A, rag. Someone bets and you are sure they have the Ace. If you follow to the river, they often turn over the expected Ace, and a rag that matches one on the table.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on stack, position

Junk ace, if you have a decent stack, position, gotta play it. Nothing to get excited about, unless you pair the board, and have the A for the kicker. Gotta play it, but carefully.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I call it the Ace Rule. 95% of (low stakes) players play any ace, in any position, for any price.

I guess I never realized that low stakes players play in such a way, but it sure does explain a lot of situations related to micros. Crazy but I definitely understand the Glossy Shiny Glittering Glare of an Ace.

:ad4:

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I never realized that low stakes players play in such a way, but it sure does explain a lot of situations related to micros. Crazy but I definitely understand the Glossy Shiny Glittering Glare of an Ace.

:ad4:
That's a GREAT way to describe it.

J

jorgejarapy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start to value the A in a hand only when it comes with a card of 10 or higher, never with higher cards, even if they are of the same figure

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I agree with you that A is good, but there is a second card that defines your game ...

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course we always have a good feelings with one ace, but so many hands i fold with only one ace.... Depends of the moment in the table , your position and opponents. 1 ace have a power to deceive you.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get a medium hand that contains some weak Ax I don't even get excited because we all know that these hands are losers in the long run, now when I get the best combos like AA, AJs +, AQo + I get super excited because they are hands with good gameplay. Now low aces off suiteds I usually fold, just open the CO onwards depending on the villains on my left.

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In an early position and with many players behind I take it as if it were a 7-2, in position I try to play them aggressive but without losing focus in that I do not have a strong hand, so before any raise or call I try to analyze the situation and my rival to know with continue.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
At the moment when you have one ace in your hands and the other card is low, there is a double feeling that you can now get into an unpleasant situation with these cards:)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
An ace is welcome, and when it comes, yes you have something strong and when it is suited even better! But if the case is not only about one or two pairs, then the ace can be a problem which can drive you to loses!

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all reassuring...

Certainly you should not lose your sanity because the other partners could have the other aces. I almost always have no confidence unless the other pair is the same color, that is, K, Q, J or 10, to form a ladder or color project, or I just don't go.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How you act, it depends a lot on your position, what level of the tornado you are in and especially how your opponents are doing!

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
A lot of hands with an Ace are a default fold preflop ;)

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play maybe 10-12 % of the aces I am dealt. A10+ ,A2-5 suited, If I am under
the gun Only AJ suited+. If raised behind me,I will most call. But if raised and re raised I most likely will dump it.
Players get in a lot of trouble playing weak kickers and of suit.
I know this thinking is very old school. But I seen a lot of people call AQ of suit after been raised and re raised only to run into AK or better.

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
having an Ace is always good, but it must be accompanied by a good second card and be in a good position at the table, otherwise it is not very important to have an Ace

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably we all forget that even two aces do not guarantee anything! But if you call other bets, you need to decide what you hope for (straight, flush or set). If there are no odds on the flop, then you should not call big bets and hope for a good card only because you have an ace.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to just fold most aces with a weak kicker. You avoid getting into kicker trouble.

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most favorite card is always an ace. When players receive at least one ace in their hand, they begin to feel more confident. However, they usually play casually and even smugly. Remembering that each player has two cards; therefore, there is a good chance that someone will have one, two or even three of the remaining aces.

I feel confident only with AJ +. And I throw another right away

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
main thing is not to over react imo. most of the cards you will see with an ace are close to a flip if someone jams on you. no reason to risk your stack or get too excited on these terms. if you get to see a flop cheap with an A-rag by all means do it, but mentally most of the time be prepared to muck if you want to be successful.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing poker more you understand that the hands that you are dealt are not the main role, I easily learned to reset AJo and lower when the situation is unfavorable.

Sometimes a hand of 87 and 10 9 is much more useful than a weak ace.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands