How do you react when you get A, no hand?

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most loved card is always the Ace. When players receive at least one Ace in their hand, they start to feel more confident. With that, they tend to play carelessly and even complacently. Remembering that each player has two cards; therefore, there is a good chance that someone will have one, two or even three of the remaining aces.

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most loved card is always the Ace. When players receive at least one Ace in their hand, they start to feel more confident. With that, they tend to play carelessly and even complacently. Remembering that each player has two cards; therefore, there is a good chance that someone will have one, two or even three of the remaining aces.
don't let yourself be blinded by an A!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it all depends on your experience and skills. It is also important to consider your position at the table.

T

Taktik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Neither do I react if the stack is more than 50 BB

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
One Ace in my hand is just one nice card. The other card with it determines what I do. Furthermore, position and the betting ahead of me factor into my decision.
The second card in my hand gets significant consideration if it is the same suit. If there are no raises ahead of me, I will limp in with Ax suited. If the cards are not suited, I am going to fold most of the time, unless that second card is at least a 10 and there is no raising going on.

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call it the Ace Rule. 95% of (low stakes) players play any ace, in any position, for any price.

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As i learn more, I've been tossing a lot of aces away especially if its paired up with a card less than 6 and unsuited. Not even worth playing on the chance that I'm going to get out kicked.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Weather it's Ace Rag or Seven Deuce I'm not too thrilled, but any two cards can win, it's all situational. I just wait until action is on on me, weigh my options and then proceed from there. When playing a tournament any Ax can be extremely strong if folded to you giving you first action. I'm excited if I get Ax blind vs blind or on the button, it's so easy to jam and have fold equity vs others late in a tournament, apply the pressure and let them decide. Not too thrilled with Ax if there's an open or jam, just often folding preflop if not defending the blinds and on to the next hand. Rinse and Repeat.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I agree. I just got elimnated from a tourney today with pocket aces, but amde the mistake of not goiing allinn hoping to draw in a couple of players. Instead i got knocked out by someone who came in with 87 off and flopped a set.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there are 2 hands I end the tournament on, they still probably AK and AQ.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

When i only get one ace I tend to fold it unless I'm on the cutoff or button.

Best to stay out of trouble for sure with these hands!

N

neonprpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,what about playing low kicker suited aces when in co or dealer position?

I

Ishnock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really. I play a single Ace in certain situations, and it all depends on the second card. If the pairing can't get me several possible hands, then it is no good to me.

Example: A2 - A5 gets played, because it can get me a straight, and then I can get sets with the Ace or with the number card. And if it is suited, then there is a huge possibility for a flush.

A10 gets played, because I can get a straight, sets, flush, royal flush, etc.

A6-A9, I will play when the blinds are low, or the raises are low, all preflop. However, if there is nothing there after the flop, then I fold. Ace High Card is not going to win online, and you can't bluff with it, because online players will continue to call or raise looking to hit on the turn or river. Usually, I Auto fold a6-A9, unless suited, and even then, I will probably fold, because flushes or sets never really flop or run for that pairing.

Same thing with Kings, Queens, and Jacks.

My rule : play numbers when they are suited connectors or pairs, play face cards when they are with other face cards , as pairs, with the number 10, or suited with number cards to form straights or flushes.

Last edited:
MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a great hand with a rag ace in early position. Certain situation it can play well. For the most part, it not all that exciting.

A

Amoh2001

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never get my hopes up. Could always be beaten by someone with 72o

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take into account table position and stack size. This is a type of hand that can become a problem.

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like all other possible hole cards an ace is just one card although it is a high card. High cards very rarely win. You need five cards.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A naked ace means nothing in poker. The second card is more relevant to the decision. Usually I throw an ace with a small kick in important tournaments. I raise if I have a kicker for Ace 10 or more. An ace with another card of the same suit is more important.

N

neonprpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am in the blinds and it's suited and it's up to a5 and limpers have limped or low bet ,I see it.Sometimes its good.

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone I play against sees the all-in and starts the "I bet it all" from rounder and chucks all their chips in, Me I normally check or call a min raise with anything under a8, then miss the flop the fold because I can't bluff against people who don't know how to play ..

N

Nicely

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyhand in poker for me is good, if you know how to play, at the beginning of playing poker, the aces was something WOW but when you lose, couple of times with AA or KK you understand that there is no "good" hands. But ofcourse, when you get these, you start to feel stronger than anyone on the table, which can cause big troubles.

D

DanielSchmidt54

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usualy try to adopt a aproach where the cards are plan b, and my use of chips in position are the plan "a". In that case, the ace blocker is a big deal for try to win without a showdown. Said that, try not to fool myself with Ace deuce of suited
its easy once that i dont fool myself whit lots of hands that are actualy better than that.

M

mrpig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace is a dangerous card, it makes you act more decisively.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe it's good to have A in hand but normally fold half of those. Many of those are with small kicker. I don't like play with for example A4 or A7 off course not always.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands