How do you know if you are a GOOD player???

T

taknyououttt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
good player im a greattt player

well ive been playing poker for over 14 years and i classify myself as a great player in those 14 years ive cashed out over 50k or more but only on certain sites ,most sites you play on you have to play the site and which cards will be dropped certain sitess i only loose to AA and that will happen 100 times a month or if i have AA i loose to 35 36 79 49 which you would think is pure bs ,, do certain sitess like me or certain ones hate my guts i dont know but i hate those sites and try not to deposit to them if their gunna be like that ...party poker is a bomb for a site stay away from party anything its a real con if you can cash out over 5k at party your very veryt lucky .. and thats all :eek:

SloPowers

SloPowers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are showing a profit year over year, then you are obviously doing something right!

Winning a tourney doesn't make you good - I've seen many terrible players win (seems like they have luck than brains) but over a long period of time, while you may still have lots to learn, it's hard to argue with the results.

Keep up the good work and may the poker gods be with you!

A

alterJJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good player : High winrate on high sample.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like you are getting a pretty good return but you have to keep your own records. The sites you mention are fine but they do miss tourneys as they are selective and have criteria that tourneys etc need to fall into.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say just focus on the money. If you are making more money than you put into poker, then keep playing. Try to find your leaks so you can make even more money.

People seem way too concerned about being a "good player" for vanity's sake. The fact is that if you are making more money than you put in, then you are doing something right. Your goal should be to plug your leaks and try to become better each day. Become better than you were yesterday; THAT should be your primary goal. Always focus on making better decisions than your opponents and better decisions than the ones you made yesterday (i.e. try to learn from your mistakes).

If you play the "i'm better than you are" game you will never be satisfied. There will ALWAYS be somebody, somewhere in the world out there who is better than you at Poker no matter how far you get.

And when you read something about poker that you do not understand you should appreciate that moment; because you have found an opportunity to learn something you did not know before! The day will NEVER COME when you will know so much about poker that there is no material out there that can even begin to challenge you. NO ONE knows it all. Even old time pros find themselves challenged by the new era of online poker; poker is not what it used to be and in the future it will probably cease to be what it is now!

I define a good player as someone who is able to consistently pull money out of a poker site. If you are doing that, then you are a good player in my book, no matter how much it is. I believe if you can make small amounts of money, then you are also capable of making larger amounts of money once you plug some leaks in your play.

Good Luck

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just an oppinion so dont hate =)

Poker is aboiut winning money and if you dont know what is a donk bet but you feel that it might bring trouble post-flop and you fold (with bad hands) does it really meter?

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because you win money from poker as an mtt player does not mean your good. You have to put in a lot of volume to make your stats valid. Bad players can always bink a tournament.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because you win money from poker as an mtt player does not mean your good. You have to put in a lot of volume to make your stats valid. Bad players can always bink a tournament.

I always find this comment amusing.

It seems there is almost a 'snobishness' (if that is a word) people who say "to be good at poker you have to be a good cash game player"

What is amusing about this is that MTT's & SNG's can be tracked, ring games can't.

So lots of cash players could be cr*p, but "they play cash so they are better players" :D

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to check on "offical poker rankings " or "sharkscope".
Gives u a good impression about ur results and u can see if u are sucseesfull in the long run. If yes , ok, u can name urself a good player , I think
gl on and off the felts

D

degen909

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you know when you're a good player when you don't question your ability

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider a good player if he can just break even in a given time - lets say around 3 months.

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever seen those guys on the golf course that have all the gear and they appear to be a golfer until you see them play. Anyone can talk poker. Youre a good player if you profit. Youre a great player if you profit greatly. If you lose for years over and over you must be an action junkie. And sharkscope is about as accurate as the US news. I dont put alot of faith in what i see after looking at my own stats there. You may not be giving yourself enough credit. Your brain is doing things with math and poker thought on its own even though you dont know it.

SloPowers

SloPowers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always find this comment amusing.

It seems there is almost a 'snobishness' (if that is a word) people who say "to be good at poker you have to be a good cash game player"

What is amusing about this is that MTT's & SNG's can be tracked, ring games can't.

So lots of cash players could be cr*p, but "they play cash so they are better players" :D

I'm not sure that is what he's say. I'm reading that 'anyone' can win the odd tourney (even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut). I think the point is that you need a very large sample in order to determine success.

I personally am a better tournament player than a cash player... I haven't figure out why but I play to my strength and pretty much stay away from cash tables. And why can't cash play be tracked? It's a matter of money in and money out... the difference is profit or loss - simplistic I agree but it provides a snapshot of what's going on in your game.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure that is what he's say. I'm reading that 'anyone' can win the odd tourney (even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut). I think the point is that you need a very large sample in order to determine success.

I personally am a better tournament player than a cash player... I haven't figure out why but I play to my strength and pretty much stay away from cash tables. And why can't cash play be tracked? It's a matter of money in and money out... the difference is profit or loss - simplistic I agree but it provides a snapshot of what's going on in your game.
I missed the caveat that I was not having a go at the guy who said this. (cash v MTT's)
All I was saying is that there is almost a snob kind of attitude in poker.
I agree that even a bad player can run well in any poker game. I doubt a real bad player can win a big field MTT btw, they might build a stack but they will be taken out - seen it lots :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you know when you're a good player when you don't question your ability
So any players who significantly over-rate their ability are good as long as they believe themselves ?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider a good player if he can just break even in a given time - lets say around 3 months.
So anyone who just plays freerolls is a good player? Or who loses money on buyins but only plays them using money won in freerolls, making it impossible not to at least break even?

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting thread, i love reading every single post here, and i can post my opinion later too.

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me, a decent player makes good logical decisions based on the situation.

In a MTT, it may be like "I have KJo, very tight guy who has only raised AA, KK,QQ before has raised - I will fold"

In a HUSNG, it may be like "given the way my opponent has played the hand, I don't expect him to have a strong hand, so I'll raise the river"

etc, and - as a result - their profit will increase over time.

M

Mantulis LT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
IF you gavę results well you Going good road

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To understand, you're a good player or not, money result, it does not matter. If he is important to you, then you have to go down limits. All that matters - your sense of self. You should feel stronger than yesterday, and only then will you know how successful a player.

O

OldDog456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds good if you have been playing low stakes, and if you are just playing mtt tourneys then compare to players that are doing the same. There are so many variables in the game of poker you are playing to sum it up as if your good tourney or cash, or both.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are winning money you are walking on rigth way :)

vnonline

vnonline

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
someone can be good player in this hand but can be bad player in the other hand. Good or bad depending on the result of the hand you played. No one can be good or bad forever.

G

gooberqw

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
be more specific

i think there is a difference between cash games and tournament play. both tables require different skills. In a cash game, you can always reload. In a tournament, you are limited. I seen poor players make huge money on cash games because their huge bankrolls makes up for their poor playing. And in the end, they will eventually win a huge pot with the worst odds. However, in tournaments, they dont stand a chance because they are no used to working with a limited supply of chips. So if your gonna debate this question, it is best to be specific. I should know, i have dealt poker for over five years and played the game longer.