How do I increase my luck?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I'm agree with perrywh. There's a phrase saying Every man is the architect of his own fortune. I don't believe in luck itself. I think it's all about learning, getting better, and eventually having more "luck" by making more good decisions.
Sure MattyRider there still will be bad plays and unlucky rivers but it's all about statistics. Have to minimalize the amount of bad luck by learning and enriching our skills so overall we won't be that unlucky anymore.
My point is that luck (bad luck as you call it) is real and a constant (over time), not something not to be believed in. When you say that you try to "minimalize the amount of bad luck" what you really mean is that you try to make EV+ plays, so that you only get to rivers, for example, where on average you are going to make some positive amount of money. However, at that point, assuming all the money is in the middle, sometimes you are going to lose some amount of money. Whether this particular instance goes your way or not is 100% dependent on luck. I say that because at that point you have absolutely no control over the outcome.

So yes we need to be skilled to make money at poker, but we WILL lose money at times, and assuming we have done everything correctly, that will be simply due to luck. You have absolutely no control over how much luck you will have, but you do control whether or not you get into situations where luck is a large factor in whether you win or lose.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You have to break up groups of hole cards and situations up. You only bet good hole a third of the time. Good hole cards are pairs and two cards that can be in a royal. Now if you four cards to a flush or open ended straight only bet that a third of time. It a fourth of the time you hit the fifth card of flush or open ended straight. You want to remember witch pairs you hit trips in so you know witch pair in hole is do for trips. Say if you hit trips in 5s and you got a air of fives then fold. Bet a tens kings or twos instead. Its a good bet the trips wont happen to 5's or cards around the 5. Remember to bet pairs a third of time. Thats when you hit trips.

P

profa1989

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Be positive don't think about bad things,don't get angry about stupid things.
I noticed that most people who are always smiling and laughing a lot are going for them.

verrybadplayer

verrybadplayer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break.. Rethink over ur call range, position is everything! And don't count on luck... You play only with whats on the table.. not with what you think you gonna hit.. bluff is so 2003? :p

walkkking

walkkking

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to accept that this is a gamble. You can play safely and increase your chances by studying and counting your chances in your head. But if you are no lucky you will still lose!

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no such thing as luck. wisdom in choosing what action to take in a certain situation will bring more positive outcomes.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky is just a MYTH......I don t really believe in "luck"..........Depends of decisions...and KARMA....

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not forget that one day of poker depends on 90% luck and 10% skill. And one year of poker depends on 90% skill and 10% luck.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is luck? To win when you play bad? This will not happen.
Or to win according to the probabilities? Which will happen.
Or maybe win the Sunday Million without playing in it xD

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck averages out over a large sample size if one makes continuous +EV calls

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can you explain your move in every situation? Do you understand why your opponents play?
If you answer "yes", you do not need luck. Change or strengthen your style, get rid of weak habits, and you need to be patient. You need more luck if you cannot wait. Try to win the pot without seeing your cards.

umyt

umyt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also want to increase my luck and want to win a million dollars every week

I think you need to work hard for this

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Increase Your luck by becoming a better player or by improving of Your magical skils

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo ... luck is the same for all ... the only affect you can have on it is by becoming more skilled .. seeing more situations happen .. more hands played out ... reading your opponents well ....studying ...and none of these things will " Change your luck " because it is the same for all and random .... but being able to take best advantage of situations comes from the experience of playing through them and learning from your results, practicing and applying the things you have studied and learned and figuring how they fit into your game ....

Being adept at seeing the best line to play through is the only real way to change this in your favor .. and then you do not change your luck .. what you are doing is optimizing how you deal with poker situations, so that they swing more in your favor than not ...

My two cents : )

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How nice it would be to have control over luck haha, I think the only thing we can control in the game is the knowledge we have of this, the experience gained and the patience that we must have for every time we start a game of poker. Regards

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think you have to increase your luck, but your skill. Study some more or go to focused playing mode. You can do it.

GL to you.

meagain00

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no way to increase your luck.luck is something special.
Ask the fortune teller.
I think luck is a skill you can develop. Skill is also very important but why do some people seem to win and others lose. Example I told myself I'm unlucky and never win anything for years. Then I decided to stop listening to that story and start telling myself; An upgraded story things began to change. The mind is the builder!!!

~~~​

:) jk I will win the $1,000,000 with luck!

How to attract good luck

~~~​

Increase Your luck by becoming a better player or by improving of Your magical skils
Magic interesting concept 💡 I'll look into it. Currently I'm working on my chi trying to develop a root. Been staring at trees alot too I think they are some of the best rooted examples in nature. Unless we start talking about mushrooms. But this is a poker forum.. Wtf my favorite hand got cracked again but I always win with 69 lol stupid game 🎮 it was suited lol:thefinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One option would be to buy a lucky charm. The other is to read more about poker and understand which statistics and results will be better if you do things the right way.
Can I do both? :biggrin:

Eat Lucky Charms, wear lucky charms and maybe carry a horeshoe around?!?!
I'm not sure increasing luck is part of the breakfast cereal's marketing claims, haha... :laugh:

Great feedback everyone thank you. It's strange after I posted this my luck seem to return. It's funny cause my best session in months was the day before the full moon. Growing moon = luck? Maybe that guy was right lol. I have been practicing more and folding more junk hands so I'm sure that helped out. But I still think luck will always win. Luck cannot be beaten....
I think you'll definitely notice a correlation between folding more junk hands, playing more premium/monsters and increased luck... :wink:

:flute:

N

Newguy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found a very old horse shoe (I think over 200 years old) last Saturday and broke even that night at the card table. So...

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can only increase the amount of good plays you make. If you are always getting it in good then eventually the odds have to favor you.

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi.to increase your luck, you should not drink alcohol in large quantities during the game.)

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We can't avoid luck in any card game. It is there, no matter how we play. Of course, we like to call it variance - this makes it sound more scientific.

But skill permits us to figure out the best way to deal with the luck (variance) that will inevitably happen. To win more when we win than we lose when we lose is the basic formula. Play in high percentage spots, play high percentage cards. All of this is to overcome luck.

So luck happens in 100% of the hands we play (50% good luck, 50% bad luck). Our job is to have enough skill to minimize the damage the 50% of the time that we have bad luck and to maximize the winnings the 50% of the time we have good luck. This requires skill 100% of the time.

While writing this, I ran into quads with my top 2 pair, bad luck for sure. But I only lost 1/3 of my stack - was there some skill here because I didn't lose my entire stack with a fairly decent hand? Unbelievably enough, I got quads myself about 15 hands later and increased my stack 50%. Is this how you do it? I was ahead for these two good luck, bad luck hands. What more can we do?

Good luck, God bless