how bad it is to show the cards in your game

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's better not to show the cards so that the player has less information about you when you bluff or when you have a very good combination, I very rarely show the cards when I raised the bet and the player thought for a long time and then folded his cards and then I showed that I have a good card and a combination!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I play poker for only 5 months and so I bluff very rarely and cautiously.
I do not always succeed in bluffing, mostly opponents do not believe me and as a result I lose.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Showing my hand

I was told that you should never show your hand. If you do then players can start to read how you play

I will always mix up my play and showing hands is a vital tool for me when dealing with a certain player..I use it to my advantage - showing cards to show you are not bluffing can work extremely well, it can add strength to your table image and you can sometimes pick a spot with a lesser hand and steal blinds with the right type of bet and position..

Me? I never steal blinds AR AR AR AR AR

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not show my pocket cards. After showing the pocket cards you will give information about your style of play, which later will play against you. I think that it is possible to show cards if there is a purpose, for example, to mislead an opponent, to make the image of a tight or loose player.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its better to not showing your hand, releals how you play, bluff, etc., so if you can hide them.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very rarely show, but I do believe it can be used on occasion as a technique e.g. to control a perspective of your playing, but it must be done with great thought. At my home games I would occasionally show a monster hand to my opponent who folded and after some time they came to fear going up against me etc. with those memories in their mind. Enabled me to be able to bluff a bit more and steal a lot of pots.
Harder to develop that reputation among people you'll never play again though.

M

mozg3333

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try never to show my cards, and does not depend: I win or just throw off my hand. I do not know if it's correct or not, but I do it. I guess in real tournaments I would play differently.

A

Ando37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on what your current table image is and what you are trying to portray. I think showing can be a legitimate tactic if used sparingly. A well timed show, coupled with a change of gears can set up a situation later on in the game.

However, if I was at a table that I felt there were players above my skill level then I would not be showing them anything for free.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You never want to show cards, unless u can tilt others or make them to show their cards.

There is no other good use for that.

Sometimes maybe because u are bored, but that's not a good way obviously.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By showing your cards you give some information to the other players for sure but in some cases giving some information can work as your advantage. Consider following situation - you are tight player and rarely bluff. At some stage you bluff and win the hand because everybody knows that you are tight. Then you show them that you bluffed. This way they will be more relaxed to play against you as they see that sometimes you also bluff so when you get strong hand the chance somebody to pay with mediocre hand becomes bigger and this way you will win more money.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will show my hands on rare occasions. Especially if I’m surrounded by bigger stacks. I will never show a bluff. I show the table good hands that have taken down bigger pots in order to let everyone know that I’m betting with good hands. Although giving this information may not always be good and I would rather my opponents pay for any information. I am trying to tell everyone that I’m not bluffing when I’m betting. This way they may have an easier time folding to my raises when I am bluffing.

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general I'm against showing your cards. It reveals to much information about how you play. I do, however, show from time to time in certain situations. Especially if your at a table where some dumbass is constantly ragging on players for the way they play. Its nice to add salt to wounds occasionally lmao!

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginners are more apt to show their hands. However, the better the player, the less chance there is of seeing others cards.

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes show a bluff...and then not bluff the rest of the game....so then when I really have it I'll trap them...but when I do that...I never show again

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually show when it doesn't matter, like being in the BB and everyone passes. I'll show a really big hand, like a flopped Full or quads after everyone folds.

I sometimes do it for PR reasons, such as a game where everyone else is showing, show sometimes to let them see you're a sport.

Otherwise, just don't do it. It's especially bad when they show and that confirms your judgement, as in 3-betting pocket kings then laying down to an all-in and he shows you the pocket aces you suspected him of having.

Just don't be giving away that free information unless it doesn't matter or you're not really revealing anything they didn't know already.

yasz69

yasz69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont show my cards

it is hard for them to catch you

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Showing your cards is sometimes part of the strategy. This is done in order to mislead opponents and to make him more often wrong in assessing my hand.

R

RolloJoe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to not show my cards - unless I can put someone to tilt.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the table and if it is a forum game. Might be more incline to show to setup a steal later. If get lot people folding to raises them might show a monster no and then in hopes of getting folds on some bluffs.

Forum games I might show as you always playing against familiar people, it is to keep them thinking I'm honest. Normally though, not showing a lot hands, let people pay for information.

B

buckwald69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

almost never ive shown my cards twice that i can remember
:dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2:

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a good rule to never show your cards unless you really have a good idea on how showing them will affect your opponent. If you know for a fact that showing your cards may tilt the villain and be +EV then go for it.

G

Galina Cold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
За игральным столом есть две позиции: победитель и проигравший. И в том и в другом случае, открывая свои карты, ты даешь некоторую информацию о стратегии своей игры. Мне не всегда этого хочется делать. Но если карты не открывает мой оппонент, меня это бесит и злит.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should consider what advantage you may get,
and what information you will give away to the entire table.

Mostly it will be giving more away than having any positive advantage.

The only practical use is for fun with friends in a home game.

Top 10 Games