Hold'em Manager

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 now, downloading the upgrade now, hopefully that'll help.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suggest everybody updates their drivers.

start > run > 'dxdiag.' This is part of Direct X, and I can't imagine you don't have it buried deep in the cellars of your system.

This will tell you exactly what video system you have, and give you a clue where to find the drivers. Note the model dxdiag reported.

In my case I then googled 'nvidia drivers'. Happily the first entry was the nvidia site. I choose to let nvidia examine my system to determine the correct driver, and then I downloaded that one, and installed it. I was surprised how large the dl was. In my case it was 39m. I remember when drivers were in kilobytes.!

Rebooted, with drivers 4 years newer than my old ones!

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@#%@#%@#@%@%@%

Well I've done everything I can, can't get it to run faster. According to what I've seen though basically I've got a shit video card and since I've got a laptop seems the only way to get a better video card would be to spend ~$1,000+ on a new laptop and that's kind of out of the question especially since I just got this laptop a little under a year ago. @#%@#%@#%@#%@#%@#%@#%

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I allways use Driver Detective to upgrade my drivers.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got a response on the HEM forum, said there should be an improvement in the next build, guess there's still hope. Also seems HEM support is pretty decent, this guy (who seems to be in charge of the HUD) and Roy (the guy who I think runs the thing) seem to answer pretty much every unanswered question in the forums in about the same time Josh does over at PT.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya I take back my comment about the support being possibly sub-par. What zach said.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Brag: HEM is working wonderfully

Beat: Someone shoot me with an elephant gun from 10' coz 100nl is sucking the f***king life out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I a was browsing 2p2 software forums and noticed that Poker EV is going to release a full tracking software, not sure if that will have HUD but then its just more options which is a good thing.
I've been keeping up with the new PokerEV version for awhile. It's in closed beta right now and from what I hear, it will supposedly beat PT and HEM both, and yes it includes a HUD. It also includes the popular PokerEV "luck" stats & graphs and such. So if it matches up to the hype, it will include all the tracking and HUD features of Poker Tracker & HEM along with the EV calcs and graphs of PokerEV. That's what I've been holding out for.

However the release has been delayed repeatedly, so folks are getting a bit frustrated. He's promised open betas and such for some time now, but he keeps missing the dates. Supposedly the HUD is the holdup, it wasn't working quite as well as he wanted to so he postponed release. Which in a way is good -- I'd rather it not be released before it's ready (*ahem* I'm looking at you, PT3) -- but at the same time he's had folks hyped up with promises of an impending release only to disappoint them with delay after delay. It would have been better if he hadn't promised a timeframe at all.

I've not had any issues to speak of with the PT3 beta trial version, other than some HUD glitches once in awhile. Such as a player's HUD stats will occasionally disappear, or it gets confused about player positions after a table change in a tournament, causing stats to be assigned to the wrong seats. Both issues usually self-correct after a short time. But as far as stability it's been fine for me, however I don't multi-table beyond 2-3 either.

I may give the HEM trial a whirl then.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dl'd HEM and I'm impressed with it.

The good: I played 25nl on three tables and it worked wonderfully (sindri however got to see my QQ vs KK vs AT lose!). I got the HUD stats customized and laid out just like I want them. No lag time at all and my QUAD core computer was not slowed down (unlike PT3). I was able to get the HUD working well, and looked at my stats like I normally do with PT3.

The bad: It certainly does not have the clean presentation of Pokertracker3. There are not as many customizable stats or reports you can run like in PT3. The forums are certainly not as populated.

The ugly: The graphing graph thingie looks ugly. Something out of AutoCad 1.04 it seems. Also the website is butt-ugly and as a professional in this field you can definitely see why PT3's website is taken much more seriously than HEM's website. It's all about presentation.

The word so far: I'm actually digging it. I like having a hud and the stats working without slowdown, or having my hero stats randomly disappear, or having the whole thing shutdown randomly.

Nice pick ChuckTs.

Last edited:
zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who cares about the graphs? Pokergrapher's better than PT anyway for just graphing.
And to icemonkey, what do you mean not as many custom reports? Did you see Chuck's video where you can basically chose any betting sequence, any hands, any hand VALUE (high, low flush draw, gut shot, TPTK, TPWK, etc.), and basically anything you could ever want? And then take a look at the filters, basically a cleaner version of PT3's custom stats (where PT3 made you write it in sql and HEM allows you to put it in boolean logic form). I guess the one thing PT3 could do that HEM can't is like if you wanted an or, like either you cbet the flop or you 4-bet preflop, although that would be kinda pointless and if you really wanted it you'd just have to view 2 separate reports. Anyway, other than presentation points (where you're right, especially with the website, that PT has the cleaner presentation), I like HEM so much more.

Also update: guy sent me individually a preview of the latest build, basically sent me a new .exe file and a replacement for a dll. I replaced them and it ran extremely smooth 20-tabling, although the stats didn't always show up, a lot of them were replaced by the phrase "doh", no idea what that stands for. But HEM was updating it, since the mucked cards showed up on time. So basically I just need to find out what's causing that, and hopefully they can get a version together that actually shows stats and runs decently well like that. Partial screenshot attached.

Attachments

• dohHEM.JPG
    dohHEM.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 21
icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm I'll have to watch that video then ... I had trouble adding stats to reporting areas, and also found the HUD stats limited to what they provided (I couldn't add other stats there). I'll take a look but I think we are both in agreement to say that HEM is really solid, and honestly better at this point that PT3.

Also in the programming world "doh" means what Homer Simpson says

"DOH!"

As in it didn't work.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Main Entry: d'oh
Variant(s):eek:r doh \ˈdō\
Function:interjection
Date:1993

—used to express sudden recognition of a foolish blunder or an ironic turn of events

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm extremely impressed with this support btw, the coder of the HUD has contacted me via private email and we've gone back and forth a few times today, basically he said the "doh" wasn't good, asked for a few files, and hopefully he can fix it/get back to me. It's just amazing that they would put in this kind of time/effort to help one individual customer that hasn't actually given them a dime yet (although granted this could impact other people as although others seem to be fine with lag, pretty sure the next version was still going to be released to the public soon lol). A+ support and if we can get this issue solved they'll have my money. After reading Chuck's review that was the one thing I was hesitant on, something like this, especially when Stars decides to **** with the HHs once in a while, really needs solid customer service and someone you can trust to make the product work even though they have all the money they're going to get from the customers. But now that I've seen this I'm a lot more comfortable giving them my business. Now if only they can get this fixed lol.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does HM come with built in Boomswitch? I have used it for 2 days (just the trial) and I'm at 22 ptbb/100 over 1500 hands. So even though I'm not sold on it, I can't afford to stop using it! Actually the more I use the interface the more I like it, so I'm still not sure what to do. They probably just turn on the Boomswitch long enough for you to make a few bucks and buy the program.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm running at -13.12 BB/100 (big blinds though, not big bets) at 2nl since I got it lol, although I guess that includes all the times my hands timed out (KK once).

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I tried it out, its basically the same as PT3 but not quite as stylish and with less bugs.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK I tried out HEM for a tournament (18 person SNG) and for the life of me I can't figure out how to put in tournament results. I found nothing in the PDF and nothing in the forums. It's annoying. Real annoying.

Then I found something in their forums ... as it turns out this isn't supported yet with the program. So if you are a SNG or MTT player and want to track your results you flat out can't right now. People have been bugging them since January for this and its now June ... so obviously buyer beware if you're not a cash game player.

Last edited:
JLtrooper

JLtrooper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it legal to use PokerTracker as you play, or is it intended for analyzing purposes in your downtime?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know of any sites that don't allow PT usage. PS has a section on allowed software.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerTracker 3 and Holdem Manager are 100% legal and cleared by all major online poker rooms.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK I tried out HEM for a tournament (18 person SNG) and for the life of me I can't figure out how to put in tournament results. I found nothing in the PDF and nothing in the forums. It's annoying. Real annoying.

Then I found something in their forums ... as it turns out this isn't supported yet with the program. So if you are a SNG or MTT player and want to track your results you flat out can't right now. People have been bugging them since January for this and its now June ... so obviously buyer beware if you're not a cash game player.

oh wow, they had a tourney tab I just kind of assumed they had tourney stuff, but now that I look at it it's basically a copy of the cash games tab without applicable data. Personally as someone who plays cash almost exclusively, I'll probably use the bonuses thing for tourney stuff, but that would be a pain and not worth it for players who play exclusively sngs and MTTs or even just half and half.