Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you broke many times in poker?
Do you think it's normal to break?
Do you learn when your bankroll breaks?

One of the best online poker players at the moment and who recently won a wsop bracelet being played online, Joao Simao said he has already gone broke many times in poker.

"It's normal to break, and even I've already broken 500 times. The important thing is to learn from these falls and improve your game"

And you, agree?Images202 1

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes sir!
breaking down and getting back on your feet is normal among most of us amateur players.
you must learn from mistakes and try not to make them again.
It sounds simple but it is not.
regards!

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes sir!
breaking down and getting back on your feet is normal among most of us amateur players.
you must learn from mistakes and try not to make them again.
It sounds simple but it is not.
regards!
Jajaja is not easy at all
Thanks

GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes , i've built back from nothing over and over again . Good BR management is key and i don't have it yet lol.

:Dglgl

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think going broke a few times is fine but going broke too many times is not good and it's a sign that we need to move to a lower stake to get more experience and improve our bankroll management.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think going broke a few times is fine but going broke too many times is not good and it's a sign that we need to move to a lower stake to get more experience and improve our bankroll management.

Yes, I have never been quite sure what going broke is supposed to represent.

It seemed to have been built into the mythology of all old school players but all that says to me is that such players were as much gamblers as poker players- after all, by any definition it is taking things to the brink and risking all. Definitely a type of compulsion.

It would be interesting to poll modern highly ranked players. Whilst the majority might likely have gone broke early days I have a feeling many will have controlled their bankroll well and been disciplined from early in their career. We all have so much more information and learning tools at hand these days and bankroll management is constantly underlined.

I am not quite sure how anyone taking poker seriously today goes broke multiple times. The only things it says to me (as above) is gambler rather than poker player.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps, like Lionel Messi he does not speak English
and wanted to say 'break-even' but he was like :
- me often go break..., break...
And then the reporter wrote
- break ? , Ah you mean go broke - OK.

Or,
he is a truly patriot, and to fellow Brazilians says like
- jogue com cuidado e sabedoria - ( be careful )
then to the Americans
- broke, yes go broke, I did it hundreds times and look now I am happy and stinking rich.

Or,
what he really meant is - Ratamahatta !

Last edited:
Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a good quote...only this is not suitable for everyone

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps, like Lionel Messi he does not speak English
and wanted to say 'break-even' but he was like :
- me often go break..., break...
And then the reporter wrote
- break ? , Ah you mean go broke - OK.

Or,
he is a truly patriot, and to fellow Brazilians says like
- jogue com cuidado e sabedoria - ( be careful )
then to the Americans
- broke, yes go broke, I did it hundreds times and look now I am happy and stinking rich.

Or,
what he really meant is - Ratamahatta !
thanks for alerting me

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, i agree

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have personally never gone broke in poker. I think people who say this are perhaps confusing poor bankroll management with the random ups and downs (variance) of the game.

If you use correct bankroll management (and assuming that you are a winning poker player), then there is no reason why you should ever go broke in my opinion.

S

Shab88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no, i have'nt

One of the best online poker players at the moment and who recently won a WSOP bracelet being played online, Joao Simao said he has already gone broke many times in poker.

"It's normal to break, and even I've already broken 500 times. The important thing is to learn from these falls and improve your game"

And you, agree?View attachment 293822
The first thing I want to ask - do you play at tournaments, that cost 1% from your bankroll? If not, it's your fault and you must start doing it, my bankroll even 150 times more, that tournaments i play, so it's a lot safer, than just becoming angry and wasting all your money in hope to make up for lost. And the second one: do you learn from your misakes?

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

If it has happened to me many times I have gone bankrupt and then I have gotten up I am a low slide and I go up to accompany you luck also has, yesterday for example I was going well in 4 online tournaments to enter into collections and I dropped the internet and I was disconnected almost one When he returned, he had already lost in three of the 4 tournaments and in the one that was left was super short, what can be done against bad luck, nothing ... accept and continue until we hit the blow and correcting mistakes along the way, knowing ourselves wiser every step ...

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never actually gone broke broke. I've taken a percentage of my br to a table and of course lost that at times. I've even taken a micro start of a br at a new poker site that i won over a few freerolls and then lost that, so i guess i have actually 'gone broke' at least on that site. Totally my fault for gambling like that. If the above player has 'gone broke 500 times' then that's a compulsion to 'go big or go home'. Not a horrible philosophy overall, but you're going to go broke much more often than not. The highs when you do win are great, but the lows of being back down to zero are tough.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never gone broke but I did withdrawal my money from ignition at a loss. I just gave up anonymous poker.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Bankroll management is not only essential to keep you in the game but also highly suggested for your mental well being is as well. Most everyone I know has repeatedly bottomed out again and again.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My father told me as a child,,,"when you get money,hold on to it,and you will never be broke,,," I listened to him,,, :rolleyes: Thx Dad! :cool: $$$

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not looking for a get-rich-quick game of poker. So I don't risk my bankroll.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi KingSize. I'll answer your post by saying I just went broke this past week. The worst thing for me is the fact that I don't have much else to do, and when poker is taken away, there is a big hole in my life. But I'm going to be ok and so will you. Just get up, dust yourself off, start back over. I have not played any since last Wed, but I'm going to start over by playing the freerolls this evening. Maybe I'll get lucky. LOL. GL to you

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the most famous case is that of Daniel Negraneu. When he started playing, he thought he could conquer the world. He went to Las Vegas, and promptly lost everything.

He went back to Toronto, and licked his wounds, and started over again, with virtually nothing.

He worked very hard at learning how to play the game, and look at him, now.

B

beelzeebuub

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

One of the best online poker players at the moment and who recently won a WSOP bracelet being played online, Joao Simao said he has already gone broke many times in poker.

And you, agree?View attachment 293822

Yes ! .. It is all about RESILIENCE.. The ability to bounce back after a shock to the system. In may case, having preset monthly limits (a meal out a month $50-100) is a great way to start.. But for those getting started, I would suggest first getting a taste for the nutcakes in the early stages of freerooll tourneys.. the better players usually play fewer hands to start at these events.. Play tight until it feels right is my general rule..

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have personally never gone broke in poker. I think people who say this are perhaps confusing poor bankroll management with the random ups and downs (variance) of the game.

If you use correct bankroll management (and assuming that you are a winning poker player), then there is no reason why you should ever go broke in my opinion.

Interesting to hear Nathan and it backs up (yes, small sample size!) what I was posing about contemporary pros - that I would think they generally have better bankroll discipline.