you have to manage your bankroll not to go broke
if you run a lot of bad run then stop for a while and give your mind a break

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start at 5 cent/10 cent blinds and work my way up to 2$/5$ blinds all threw winning. So i start with 10$ buy in and end with a 250$ buy in. Sadly I go broke while playing with the pro's but i dont go broke playing with the little guys. Been told I am playing to high of stackes with no bankroll but its just to much fun not to, know what i mean?

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start at 5 cent/10 cent blinds and work my way up to 2$/5$ blinds all threw winning. So i start with 10$ buy in and end with a 250$ buy in. Sadly I go broke while playing with the pro's but i dont go broke playing with the little guys. Been told I am playing to high of stackes with no bankroll but its just to much fun not to, know what i mean?
I understand, you run the high risk to try to earn a lot of money
That's it?

D

ddsnoops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whatever makes you happy, that's all that counts - BUT, make sure you play with money you can burn, cause it's really hard to actually make any money

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, you can play freerolls from cardchat and do not spend money on a deposit at a distance, you will get a bankroll and without a deposit thanks cardchat

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, you can play freerolls from cardchat and do not spend money on a deposit at a distance, you will get a bankroll and without a deposit thanks cardchat
Yes it's true, but depositing from time to time is also important.

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all about bankroll management you will have downswing for sure but learning to be a winning player will never make you broke

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many, many times. I wonder how i'm still playing :)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have lost many games over the last 20 years or so, but never actually gone broke, my Bankroll has never disappeared because of one game, and when I lose either Live or On-line, the loss is not a great catastrophe, because I play within my means, and I am happy to keep playing that way.
Poker is a game, and should be played and respected that way, It is not a means of becoming rich overnight, because the number of players that do not find riches, far outweigh the numbers that do.
For every winner there are Hundreds, maybe Thousands of losers, and once you can accept that as being a fact! Then you can begin to accept Poker for what it is! A Fun and enjoyable Game.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think everyone knows the answer to this question-is proper bankroll management, which is one of the first things you hear in the learning process. It's just that not everyone can handle it, because the main thing in poker is discipline.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my normal is to break, whenever I win a jackpot in a tournament, I think I'll win all the others and then it breaks me...

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Perhaps, like Lionel Messi he does not speak English
and wanted to say 'break-even' but he was like :
- me often go break..., break...
And then the reporter wrote
- break ? , Ah you mean go broke - OK.

Or,
he is a truly patriot, and to fellow Brazilians says like
- jogue com cuidado e sabedoria - ( be careful )
then to the Americans
- broke, yes go broke, I did it hundreds times and look now I am happy and stinking rich.

Or,
what he really meant is - Ratamahatta !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwqRSCWw2g

yes. Go for broke is good. Going broke is not good. Well, unless you are wearing that sponsor shirt. Then you can go broke as often as you like. Or is it you can go for broke as often as you like.

E

et bilu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
while I was alone at poker, I protected my BR very well.
but from the moment I got to know sports betting, that was the end of me.
but poker is much easier to control, that's my opinion.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Golden words. Never give up. Victories will come.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments are the way to control things. I know we all think we're going to cash when we enter a tourny, but at least the cost is fixed and you can't get carried away fir chucking more and more money at it. (As long as re-buys are limited LOL)

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
just use BRM at everything and u will be fine

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One playing poker to broke many times maybe he risk to much hands.

Find out the problem, otherwise it will keep on.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , i've built back from nothing over and over again . Good BR management is key and i don't have it yet lol.

:Dglgl
Same here. I am 76 gone broke seems like hundreds of times. But always come back. Just for the love of the game .

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's right, in poker many players go broke, but there comes a time when they manage to become champions. It takes determination!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have personally never gone broke in poker. I think people who say this are perhaps confusing poor bankroll management with the random ups and downs (variance) of the game.

If you use correct bankroll management (and assuming that you are a winning poker player), then there is no reason why you should ever go broke in my opinion.

I totally agree! There is no reason why a good Poker Player should ever go broke, if he is a good player then he learns by playing for fun money or play chips where he can go broke as much as he want's.
Playing for real money is a different thing entirely, and if you are sensible and manage your bankroll correctly, then you should never go broke financially.
Playing outside your bankroll limits is a sure way to go broke, like buying in for $10 Dollar games when you have only deposited $100 Dollars initially, then you are on the slippery slope already, trying to win back money you have already lost.
It amazes me how many players think it is an easy way to get rich quick, Poker isn't easy, nor is it a get rich scheme, it is a fantastic, enjoyable way to relax and have some fun, leave the money making dreams for the bedroom, because the only sure way to make money is to work hard and spend long hours doing whatever you choose to do, whether it is as an Electrician, Plumber, Engineer, or any trade you choose, you cannot do it over night, and it is the same with Poker, it takes a long apprenticeship to become a good Poker Player.

When the fun Stops, STOP!
(and learn)

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a few poker players have never lost their bankroll, the bulk of them lost many times and many make deposits quite often, the main point here is that the game does not turn into an addiction for you, and you also need to work on the game, with some work on the game you will be able to regularly win, even if small money, so the guys discipline and work on the game are the ingredients of success

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am going broke right now. I can deposit 30 dollars more this month, but I am waiting till the bad streak ends.