Freeroll culture has hurt poker....

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please dont hate on freerolls :) This how many people start playing pooker for cash. If it wasn't for freerolls i probably never would have played online poker period. If anything there should be more freerolls but, poker sites don't really need to compete atm.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If that were the case then the lottery would have been defunct a thousand years ago. The "dream" is actually what allows grinders to be able to grind because without the "dream" there is not enough new blood and thus dead money on the table for anyone to make any money. Just my opinion.

Right, and number running is over.

The only reason the lottery works is because it is run by and fully a part of the state.

Sure if virtually all the money in poker eventually went to the state and the state ran poker rooms and everyone was cool with really not being long run winners going in....poker could flourish.

Except poker is supposed to be a skill game which has winners in the long run, so.....ya...

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your right the title is “Freeroll culture has hurt poker....” but that’s kind of like picking the fly poop out of the pepper is it not?

Actually if you read my post above yours you'll see what I, not you, said was … “The players - starting out - are targets and easy pickings for the experienced player. You know this and yet you’re trying to sell them on the idea to just keep depositing - Its all for the good of the game - what U smokin? :rolleyes:

As for depositing again and again what you said was … "WE NEED NEW DEPOSITORS CONSTANTLY IN ORDER FOR THE POKER ECONOMY TO WORK, PERIOD."

And yes we all know poker is kill or be killed by nature - what remains in the smoke of your text that is not clear is why you are so frantic for more and more depositors? :deal:

Oh, you weren't aware that both live and online poker is contracting right now as we speak ?

Sorry, but go ahead and check Pokerscout if you don't believe me....there is no ambiguity on the topic, POKER IS SHRINKING.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are rooms with big tournaments Free to help build a good bank and soon to play for great prizes . Just take dedication and patience to succeed. Dodge the fish and try to grow slowly.

bossbran

bossbran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see the her point..
In order for the poker economy to work, they need new depositors constantly..
Thats one of the main reason why did they put up this for a business is to gain profit and to support all the expenses..

And i know that their marketing office are doing their best and planning it carefully to attract more depositors..

Maybe the statistics percentage of nondepositors who play poker and win big is not that high..
Players who do not make deposit and playing in their site are also a big help to increase the traffic..

Z

zcorrell0326

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The author of this post must hate me because all I do is play free rolls! It's a miserable existence but someone has to do it!

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The author of this post must hate me because all I do is play free rolls! It's a miserable existence but someone has to do it!

The OP doesn't hate freerolls, but is simply pointing out that for poker to grow players have to deposit. For example, remember how large the freeroll payouts were at the height of the boom? If we ever want to see anything like this again, money has to enter the poker economy.

cheers!

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yep, the lessons tend to stick with you more when your hard-earned money is up for grabs. Not that money from freerolls isn't hard-earned too; sometimes it is, and at least takes up your time.

I think that Freerolls are terrible practice for real money games and I agree they take a lot of time. I've won a starting bankroll with freerolls and your right again that it is hard earned as-well.

I can say that freerolls still offer an alternative to depositing my cash into uncertain houses. This allows me to I keep my household day to day money safe for the mortgage. So to Speak

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Oh, you weren't aware that both live and online poker is contracting right now as we speak ?

Really does it matter what statistic you want to quote?
There will always be poker - and people playing it. Poker well survive without you demanding others deposit cash into the - house - of your choice?

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good. I think the same. In freerolls many players do not mind playing every hand with cuialquier thing and are all in long and can get you to win with bad beats and you eliminate a tournament when you try to play the right way. It makes me very angry that.

B

batagliador

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that all poker sites should have their freerols as this is a way of publicizing and bringing more players to the sport

G

Gambit11th

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What does the public's image have to do with anything?

Very true my friend very true... cudos :)

I'm just here saying "interesting, good point and wth" as I'm reading this thread and eating popcorn lol good thread but the title has to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read somewhere that only 20% of online poker players make money whilst the other 80% presumably feed the aforementioned 20%

As a new player of online poker I can say that in my case 'Freerolls' Is an encouragement for me to deposit bankroll. If I started out having to pay in hard earned money i would surely have given up months ago as losing all your cash quickly when you start out as a fish is quite off putting. And yes I did lose often easily and quickly....

Golf ? I've played golf for years... It is a hobby yes... I Don't play golf hoping to win the weekly handicap to subsidize my wages, I play for the sociability, enjoyment and challenge of victory and a voucher or a token or some other petty reward beside some glory. Poker ? Poker is enjoyable but at its core its about winning money... Give me a link please where you can play for matchsticks ! No ? Can't ? Not comparable imho...

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read somewhere that only 20% of online poker players make money whilst the other 80% presumably feed the aforementioned 20%

As a new player of online poker I can say that in my case 'Freerolls' Is an encouragement for me to deposit bankroll. If I started out having to pay in hard earned money i would surely have given up months ago as losing all your cash quickly when you start out as a fish is quite off putting. And yes I did lose often easily and quickly....

Golf ? I've played golf for years... It is a hobby yes... I Don't play golf hoping to win the weekly handicap to subsidize my wages, I play for the sociability, enjoyment and challenge of victory and a voucher or a token or some other petty reward beside some glory. Poker ? Poker is enjoyable but at its core its about winning money... Give me a link please where you can play for matchsticks ! No ? Can't ? Not comparable imho...

If you don't derive enjoyment from playing poker, you really shouldn't do it to be quite honest. This isn't 2005, and the easy money is simply gone from the game.

We need to be marketing poker as something enjoyable and worthy of a modest investment to learn.

That's my point.

ALso, AGAIN, I do like freerolls and think they are a good tool- one of many- to encourage new players to expose themselves to the game.

As far as the public's image of poker not being important, well, it's very important if you ever want legalized nation wide integrated online poker; this is something I would assume the vast majority of players int he US and on earth want. I could be wrong though....who knows.

AGAIN, it isn't the idea of holding freerolls that is being talked about in my OP, I would suggest actually reading the post if you're confused about what I in fact define as "freeroll culture".

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have formed this view in the last say 5 yrs that we've collectively sold the dream of being a pro/profitable as a player early in your career way, WAY too much to the public. Here is why:

1) It's much MUCH less likely to happen in 2015 as it was in 2005...there chances of picking up the game and being able to support yourself as an adult living independently within say 24 months is very remote in 1st world contexts.

2) We shouldn't define "success" in poker as being profitable or a pro. Poker is a game and an hobby, and if you enjoy it responsibly and draw joy from it, than you are successful as a player, period. At the same time it is intellectual exercise and helps the mind develop and at the least stay better longer into our life.

3) It's important for beginners to actually DEPOSIT A DECENT amount of money generally for us to maintain this game. The poker world needs net depositors period to survive. Why is it a lot of new players are so afraid/reluctant to deposit say 200-500 dollar in their first 24 months?

THIS IS A HOBBY, and there are costs related to all/most hobbies.

5) We need to stop selling poker as a moneymaking venture period bc when we do we look like hucksters and and liars to lay people. Poker is a game, a gambling game where the net profit/loss is a loss for all players based on rake. Stop talking about how people are supporting themselves on poker; it is very very few mainly younger people and many of them would be better of getting into their careers and not opening multi yr holes on their CVs.

I am sorry, but someone needed to say it...

looks friend , in a way , I think so , but it's not so clear I live , for if it were , I would not find a sense in playing more poker than I have for other games in the mind ... then I think his vision, though correct, deserves some insights ... but anyway , really respect your opinion !

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree the poker trafic is going down, and it need new depositors, but i think removing the freerolls will have a worse effect and you're underestimating the power of freerolls. It gets a lot of new players, and players that don't usualy play a lot to start the poker room, and eventuely get those players to deposit. Also, the money won in freerolls will be re-used and will be raked with. If i didn't had the oppurtunity to build a small bankroll with freerolls i wouldn't be where i am at now. A lot of people don't have or want to deposit to learn the game, but can learn it while playing some freerolls, ship a few bucks and find out how the real money games are. This proces brings a lot of new players to the real money games. Remember a room doesnt make money on a deposit, but on rake. And a site with freerolls usualy attracts a higher trafic.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry man but it would be a cold day in Hll for me to make a deposit to a place that cant give me my winnings legally cause of my location. So with that said im just a little jealous of people that can. So i play freerolls big deal and to look down on me for not making a deposit please dont insult me and other people around you. Really who do you think you are. Excuse me if you cant see the grounds for my rant you might need to back up a little bit. I havent directed this toward just any particular person but if the shoe fits!!!

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9 mos. later, and with PS raising the rake dramatically and slashing the VIP, it's much more difficult to earn a real 1st world living playing poker than ever.

The dream of learning poker and being able to support yourself is quickly dissolving...

Now we are left with actually selling the game.

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion the freeroll and a good help sites for the players think they should do more because nowadays the poker game online has grown then the Field is too large.

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have formed this view in the last say 5 yrs that we've collectively sold the dream of being a pro/profitable as a player early in your career way, WAY too much to the public. Here is why:

1) It's much MUCH less likely to happen in 2015 as it was in 2005...there chances of picking up the game and being able to support yourself as an adult living independently within say 24 months is very remote in 1st world contexts.

2) We shouldn't define "success" in poker as being profitable or a pro. Poker is a game and an hobby, and if you enjoy it responsibly and draw joy from it, than you are successful as a player, period. At the same time it is intellectual exercise and helps the mind develop and at the least stay better longer into our life.

3) It's important for beginners to actually DEPOSIT A DECENT amount of money generally for us to maintain this game. The poker world needs net depositors period to survive. Why is it a lot of new players are so afraid/reluctant to deposit say 200-500 dollar in their first 24 months?

5) We need to stop selling poker as a moneymaking venture period bc when we do we look like hucksters and and liars to lay people. Poker is a game, a gambling game where the net profit/loss is a loss for all players based on rake. Stop talking about how people are supporting themselves on poker; it is very very few mainly younger people and many of them would be better of getting into their careers and not opening multi yr holes on their CVs.

This post is so uninformed . . . awful

M

MikeyE8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what the problem with freerolls are. It gives people an opportunity to make it from nothing. People might be scared to invest because they want to test their abilities. Freerolls allow for that to happen. Freerolls attract new players and are good for poker. That is my opinion anyway.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have to disagree with you, sorry. I am severely disabled and bankroll my poker playing through freerolls. I think they are a great thing or else I would be limited to play chip poker and I think that would suck. I do think it has changed the game though and not sure how I feel about it. Good luck.:D

G

gencoal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
free roll

if it wasn't for freerolls I couldn't play . I'm not a great play, not a good player okay ill say it I'm a bad player who occasionally plays ok . it gives me something to do and sometimes I get lucky that's all not going to get rich just grind out a dollar or two once in a while period. so thank the poker gods for freerolls.:joyman:

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where do U think the freeroll money goes? It goes right back into the cash games & tournaments. Every day there are freerolls & every day that freeroll money is put back onto the tables. Not sure why U don't like amateurs playing with money, that U should win, on the tables ever day?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Freerolls are ok but after a while you should move to play cash games.
Freerolls gives people an opportunity to test their abilities and the strategies they read or see on poker sites. In addition the money they win goes back to the cash games, so use that opportunity to spot new players and make that freeroll money yours. :)