Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don think you guys get it, it's all the brain anyway

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please take care of the heart. Will live longer.

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can work out your odds then do so......... But any decent player does that and then still goes with their heart, maybe they know the player they're up against is a bluffer and it's really good odds.

xastaria

xastaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a bit of everything to win,maths,reading opponents,your hard and your brain in place!!Experience and correcting mistakes!

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mathematics--an exact science. If only the math-- I'll be the richest

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mathematics--an exact science. If only the math-- I'll be the richest
combination of reads/heart and maths:D
If you have a gut feeling they have top pair then you need the math to work out if your draw is getting the required odds

M

mcbogart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a majority of math and a little of heart can go along way. In the end, the math is never wrong, so it's best to follow that.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe this varies with each game style.

Sit and go -> instinct and icm
Cash game -> mathematics
Mtt -> heart,instinct, and softwares haha

gl

P

pokervike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you guys think? Use the math or use your heart when playing poker?

Are you also including opening and or calling hands pre-flop? Or is this a post flop type of question?

Too be completely honest, I feel most people are in way too many hands pre-flop and then stuck with either getting shoved on too often or getting called incorrectly when somebody may have thought you were drawing and not defending. So I guess that means I don't represent math or heart separately Personally, I'm in a hand for 3 reasons only pre-flop. 1) Hand strength, 2) Implied odds with good EV or I've decided that another player who I think is going to stay in a hand that I feel confident I can range them and I can beat them either IP or OP.

Post flop opens up a brand new pair of shoes for me to put on. 1) more than 2 in the hand I've got a few mores but unless I hammer the flop I'm not looking to give more than one opponent a free ride to the rivers edge. 2) The time has come, make a play! Not always on the flop either. I like to shuffle C-betting bluffs and strong hands on either the flop or turn just to keep action when I want it and dump it or scare it away by MY action not the opponents. 3) I have a hand. If the village idiot shows up the price of admission just went up. If I feel somebody might get scared away I take a timid approach. If the board is wet I try to keep it cheap then fill the bill with hidden charges!

SO i guess my heart dictates my math but my value is based on how much I'm worth in my heart! I would find it very hard to believe that a successful player uses only one. pot odds, EV and ICM (for tourneys) are great tools to reach for but in the end fold losers, bet winners. That, is where the money is at!

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure what you mean by heart. Do you emotion or instinct? If emotion, only when I'm on tilt.

A

Arfer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not black & white.. Every hand is different so you have to be able to adapt so sometimes it's the maths and sometimes your read on the game..
+1

This is also the reason why i dont have a favourite hand

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GUYS ITS ALL THE BRAIN ANYWAY

N

ntbornkiller

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
actually none and both . not math and not heart . i guess what others cards are , by both math and feeling and play base on that .

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use both. Math if I'm on a draw hand with outs.Use gut if I think I have got a read on a player.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the truth just be outside in a tournament I had AA dode VS 88 and lost against a trio of 8, there I wonder math or heart ??
the idea that truth is no longer think , when you want to play well these things happen and we return to business as usual luck ??? ability ??? perseverance ???? patience ???? idea are things that only the games often go , but good for those who do not like to lose these things tend to pull us down I encourage this is my case at this time.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we should include all: calculation,intuition,brain,and a great desire of victory.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i feel math is a tool to use with other reads for the heart to make a decision on a play. so i would say i use both.

rawbad

rawbad

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
a lot of poker is luck and I follow math mostly but I also get that feeling and call hands I should fold and win so I say both

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always went with the heart. Feelings have a lot to say about the game. I seen a lot of hands that if I had called, I would have won, but I had my own doubts instead of using my heart. I really think that both are there together, and you work it when you need one or the other

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any case, you need to watch the other players.With which hand they raise the stakes,or someone who likes to slow-play.Knowledge and observation will help you make the right decision.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In cash games I like to see flop as cheap as possible, unless I have something good so I bet 3 bet to get rid off weaker hands. I do put notes on people or colours, so I can predict what players action are like they play passive, or they try to trap me before etc. since its important to separate bad players from good players that use tactics.

In Sit&Go I just try to see flops cheaply with hands that have potential and also wait for players to eliminate each other.
You can watch my 3$ sit&go 9handed replayer: http://www.cardrunners.com/pokertools/session/2829171/replay/

In MTT its mix of both plus bigger variance.

I always trust my feelings and I can smell some traps when they come based on the player.

Last edited:
BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both as for me. No one has been canceled human instinct yet. These two factors are always connected to the poker table. Have a luck and calculator near.

AlexandriaVP

AlexandriaVP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nananoko Told me that you have to follow your gut because your "hunch" is all your experience telling you what to do all your observations the ones you make when you know your making them and the ones you don't know your making your gut is telling you "I've been here before, this is what I should do" That being said you have to be careful not to be result oriented meaning "8-8, last time i would have caught. So All-in this time" you want make a plan and follow through while adjusting you strategy to suit the situation